FavoriteTreestand harness?

Pflum

FNG
It’s prob easier to comply to safety regulations. Full body harnesses are designed for long drops with lots of extra weight attached to the user ( construction ect) with a cheap basic design, and a rip stitch lead you exceed any fall requirements.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
In construction there is almost always the people and equipment needed for rescue. In hunting there almost never is.
I don't want to sound argumentative, I am definitely of the mindset use whatever works best for you, we are all a little different. I will say that I researched pretty hard before making the switch to a RC harness. I don't remember ever reading where someone has used both and doesn't recommend the RC. The only naysayers I've seen are people that haven't used one

pirogue

WKR
Grab your full body “hunting” harness that attaches between your shoulder blades and a rock climbing harness that attaches in the front. Now, safely “hang” from each, simulating a fall. Then come back and report which one is easier to self recover and which one causes your blood flow to your legs to stop first.
BINGO! I’ve been suspended in both, as I used to have to go through fall protection training at work. Retired now, so I’ll never put on anything except a RC harness.

Another vote for rock climbing harness. My go to is an alpine bod. I didn’t like all the padding and bells and whistles for hunting. Bonus is alpine harnesses are sized to go over puffy mountaineering layers so right at home over hunting duds.

I would amend my post above to say that I used to rock climb quite a bit back in the day and feel fairly comfortable in a rock climbing harness. As others have pointed out, test your set up. I usually run mine with my tether around the back (connected up front but stuff a bite into the top of the harness at the small of my back. If I take a fall it is going to whip me around but i will be facing the tree and able to maneuver. First thing would be to try to climb back into the stand. I run a life line that reaches the ground when I can and I have Prusik lines on the harness I can use to ascend or descend as needed.

trailblazer75

Lil-Rokslider
A lot of times I use a black diamond rappel harness nowadays. It lets me treat my treestand like a saddle platform if I need to make a shot behind the tree.

If I'm not using that I use a tree spider because I like the ease of use factor and the fact that it has built in linemans loops.

URE_G

FNG
Rock climbing harness fan here. It is by far the most comfortable and it's much easier to put on

How are you guys connecting to the tether w/ the rc harness? Are you using as prussic on the tether then using another rope to connect you to the prussic?

Pflum

FNG
I use about a 4 foot long runner, it's a nylon loop. Girth hitch to my harness then carabiner to my lifeline or tree strap.

Pflum

FNG
That makes sense. Where do you get a runner

Amazon I think. Just Google climbing nylon runner. The ones I use are about 4' long and probably 1/2"-3/4" wide. They work good as a deer drag, and you can tie a leg off to a tree to make field dressing easier too

Pflum

FNG
I believe they are 22kn. Some people will raise the point that these are static slings, so they don't have any stretch to absorb impact of a fall. Definitely true in rock climbing where you might fall several feet or more before you got the end of your line. The way I set mine treestand hunting, I only have a foot of slack in my line so I'm comfortable with it.

Simon1523

FNG
Hey everyone, So I'm looking to upgrade my safety harness for stand hunting and I'm curious what's everyones go to? I currently have a simple muddy one and it definitely does the job. I just have a feeling there is something better out there. thinking just grab a saddle and use that? Thanks in advance
I like the Summit Pro