Favourite pressure canning recipes thread.

ozyclint

WKR
well i did my 1st 2 batches of canning today in my new all american pressure canner. i did 15 jars of potatoes and one of carrots.
i must say i'm hooked on it as a way of making DIY non perishables with my own game meat, farm meat and vege garden harvest.

i've read all the pressure caning threads here and have found some snippets in regards to ideas and recipes but thought it would be good to have a thread just for pressure canning recipes and ideas.

i really want to try some chili con carne, and basic stews ready to heat and eat from the jar. it will make an awesome quick meal for camping.

so please share your favourite canning hints and tips, recipes, etc.

rklein

Lil-Rokslider
In case you haven't seen this, it looks a good place to start:

rayporter

WKR
we tried some high mountains seasoning in the venison this year and it was great. usually a bouillon cube is standard in a quart.

we cook in the garage on fish cookers with 2 canners going at once, a coleman stove works good to outside if the wind is not top strong. it does speed things up.

i will add a couple receipts

cube venison [ worst parts of meat such as neck] and pack in qt jar
add 1/8 tsp canning salt
a tsp of cavendars and a bouillon cube
cook at 15lbs for 50 min
or
3 tbl high mountain seasoning
1/8 tsp canning salt
1 tbl liquid smoke

Last edited:
I only add a little garlic salt and pepper when I can it, and honestly it tastes good just like that. I end up eating it that way most of the time. I don't try to "flavor" it when I can it so I can just add whatever spices I want depending on what I'm making when I go to use it

cnelk

WKR
Venison Stew

4-5 lbs. venison stew meat
8 cups sliced carrots
3 cups chopped celery
3 cups chopped onions
3 quarts cubed, pared potatoes (about 12 medium)
11 ⁄2 tbsp. salt
1 tsp. thyme
1 ⁄2 tsp. pepper

Cut meat into 11 ⁄2 inch cubes; brown in a small amount of fat. Combine meat, vegetables and seasonings; cover with boiling water. Pack hot, into hot jars, leaving 1- inch head space. Remove air bubbles. Adjust caps. Process. Yield approximately 7 quarts.

Canning time/pressure depends on elevation

Note: Vegetables do not need to be precooked.

Wrench

WKR
I simply add fresh jalapeños and salt. Teaspoon for a pint, tablespoon for a quart and feed it 15psi for 90min at my 3k home elevation.

Its always awesome.

Mallard6

FNG
This year is my first go at canning venison, looking at the way everyone is doing there’s is great. Ive had great success, looking forward to trying the stew recipe from cnelk