Feathered Friends Sleeping Bags

JDB9818

WKR
I see a lot of love for the Western Mountaineering bags around here, but I don't see much posted about Feathered Friends.

For those who have some experience with the Feathered Friends, how are they? Especially if you've compared them to WM?

I've had a WM Badger and and I am kind of missing it, but I am also intrigued by the FF.

I bought a FF Ibis recently and it's by far the highest quality bag that I've ever had. No experience with WM but their specs and prices are similar to FF and I'd think the performance would be similar too. Probably can't go wrong with either one, both are USA made and very well regarded.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've owned both- quality is equal from the bags I've owned. I own more FF's now just because the models I was looking for were more closely matched by FF.

Compare the models from each line looking at temp rating, down fill, fabric, overall weight and the dimensions and simply pick the one that best suits you- it really doesn't matter which model fill your need the best, it will be a very good bag either way :)

When I was shopping for a new bag last year all the research I did put the two brands as equals as far as I could gather. I had a heck of a time finding anything in stock and had it narrowed down to one model from each company and I ended up buying the wm badger because I found it in the size I was looking for first but would’ve bought ff similar bag without hesitation. Hopefully they’re finally getting stuff back in stock so you can get what you’re looking for.

WesCAtoll

Lil-Rokslider
FF is sold out of items a lot, i wouldve tried one of their bags if they were in stock since I can drive there . I wear one of their puffys daily
Instead, WM bag was in stock. Very happy with it

OP
J

JDB9818

WKR
Thanks for the input. I think I'm leaning toward giving the FF a try when the get them back in stock. I think it's probably just as hard to try and find a WM right now anyway.

thbrock07

FNG
Just got a FF Lark UL with 2 oz of overfill. Very nice bag, great company to deal with. I've heard all the same things about WM, too.

jblam

Lil-Rokslider
I ordered a WM bag last month, was told to expect 45 days. It arrived in 5 days.

Brad@Argali

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I see a lot of love for the Western Mountaineering bags around here, but I don't see much posted about Feathered Friends.

For those who have some experience with the Feathered Friends, how are they? Especially if you've compared them to WM?

I've had a WM Badger and and I am kind of missing it, but I am also intrigued by the FF.
I love my FF bag. I'd say they are every bit as good as WM. I wouldn't question it for a minute. I've been using them for a few years and have been very impressed.

I have a FF snowbunting and it's been great. Also have a WM Antelope that although a good bag, stitching on it was substandard and was pulling tight in spots. I got both when our aussie dollar was on par with the US. I would not hesitate to go FF again. Sea to Summit ALPS 2 bags are great gear too.

zacattack

WKR
I’ve had a badger and currently have a 0 degree feathered friends. I really see no difference in the quality. You’ll sleep toasty warm in either company’s bag.

406sparky

FNG
I tried the WM badger and Apache this year looking for the perfect bag. Neither were what i was looking for. I ended up with the FF Snowbunting and its amazing. The fit is exactly what i was looking for, loft is great, and the exterior material is crazy tough. It seems to me to be much more bag for the money vs WM.

TURNER208

FNG
I tried the WM badger and Apache this year looking for the perfect bag. Neither were what i was looking for. I ended up with the FF Snowbunting and its amazing. The fit is exactly what i was looking for, loft is great, and the exterior material is crazy tough. It seems to me to be much more bag for the money vs WM.
Do you find the snow bunting a tight fit? Debating this or the ibis which has the roomier cut. I sleep pretty good in mummy bags just didn’t know how tight the snowbunting is

Maverick1

WKR
I do not own a FF sleeping bag, but own their down booties, helios jacket, and helios pants. Exceptionally high quality.

fshaw

WKR
I've owned both- quality is equal from the bags I've owned. I own more FF's now just because the models I was looking for were more closely matched by FF.

Compare the models from each line looking at temp rating, down fill, fabric, overall weight and the dimensions and simply pick the one that best suits you- it really doesn't matter which model fill your need the best, it will be a very good bag either way :)
I currently own both, FF Raven and WM Kodiak. The advice by MtWarden says it all. I needed a second bag for a ‘23 Grand Canyon trip and bought the Kodiak because I’d always wanted a WM bag. A FF Ibis would have served as well. Both bags don’t disappoint me in any way and neither company will disappoint you. Exceptional bags.

Good luck and enjoy your adventure.

Frank

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Do you find the snow bunting a tight fit? Debating this or the ibis which has the roomier cut. I sleep pretty good in mummy bags just didn’t know how tight the snowbunting is

I find the Bunting a "medium" fit- not tight, not overly roomy.

If you have a bag you like- look up the specs- shoulder width, hip width, foot width and then compare to both the Bunting and Ibis. That's the best way (other than trying one out in person) to see if a bag is going to fit the way you prefer.

I will say that with a Winter bag, unless you're short- go with the long to have room to store stuff you don't want frozen. I also think it's worth it springing for the overfill on a Winter bag- few extra ounces worth carrying.

406sparky

FNG
I agree that the snowbunting is a medium fit. I find it perfect for me. I don’t feel like it is too restrictive, but also not roomy enough to allow cold drafts. I’m also not a huge guy, 5’8” 160lbs. I’ve slept in mummy bags my whole life and generally don’t have any issues with claustrophobia. Snowbunting is hands down the best bag I’ve tried.