Feb 2012 ID Wolf hunt...

Posted on other forums, figured you all would enjoy the not so long story! :D

I was visiting the boss (IE: girlfriend) up in pullman the weekend of February 2nd, and I called my hunting partner from Lewiston and we decided to make a day trip on Saturday to do some wolf hunting up the Lochsa (Lolo Zone).

We literally saw more wolves than elk... Divine intervention was with us this day that is for sure! We missed our exit and had to turn around, we even decided to stop and talk to the IDFG helo crew that was refueling from flying and collaring wolves a few miles down the road from where we shot this wolf (they bio was a jerk and NOT wanting to share any info). One of the contracted guys doing the darting for the IDFG was a friend of ours from Lewiston and as soon as the bio was done talking to us he gave us some info on a pack of 14 that they'd just darted 8 out of and where we could probably call them in. We'd originally asked the bio if he had any info on this specific drainage and trailhead but he played DUMB and did not want to share any info.

We drove the few miles up the road to the trailhead and pulled over. We were parked for maybe 45 seconds and I was lacing up my boots when I looked ACROSS the river and see a wolf 80 yds away run behind a tree! All hell broke loose as I told Al "WOLF! get your rifle!" and we bailed off the road and then a second wolf stepped out onto the riverbank and Al MISSED at 62 yds! The wolf took off and he dumped him on a dead run through the trees at 120 yds with only a 8-10' shot window through the trees. I still give him crap about the miss but he more than made up for it with the follow up!

I could've doubled up but my tags expired on Jan 1 and we never figured we'd have more than 2 on the ground (he had two tags). I could see the others as they took off through the trees but Al couldn't so no follow up shots to try and drop a second one.

In all reality we got WAY more lucky than good. But I'll take that any day!

Scariest part of the whole ordeal was we had to wade chest high water for about 40 yds to get across the river and get to the wolf! Getting him back across was interesting and Al ended up getting taken downstream for about 20-30 ft and went completely under. He was in the water for 8-10 minutes at stomach depth before he was able to secure the rope the wolf was tied on to the snow bank and get himself clear of the water.. Thank god we were only a hundred yds from the truck and dry clothes. We never would've risked getting wet in that kind of weather/water but with the pickup only a hundred yds or less from the edge of the water we risked it.

wolf4.jpg

wolf3.jpg

wolf2.jpg

Mike

muleman

WKR
Nice! Years ago, we lucked into some massive mule deer because of running late and a missed turn. Take success however you can get it.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Nice Work! To bad you didn't have your tags, could of made a good day a great day.

OP
HellsCanyon
Nice Work! To bad you didn't have your tags, could of made a good day a great day.

You're telling me... Its ok though, I'll hopefully fill both tags this year. Got a good idea of how to hunt them in the middle of winter and I'll be hunting deer/elk in some pretty heavily populated areas!

Hunting pard is looking at grabbing a jetboat here soon which would be sweet! Definitely open up some new options for us...

Mike