Fed Premium Nosler AB v Nosler Trophy Grade AB

slowelk

WKR
Factory ammo comparison. My 30-06 Tikka SL simply won't shoot the 180 or 165 Fed Premium Nosler Accubonds better than 1-1.5". I then shoot factory 178 eld-x and I'm under 0.75" consistently. It seems my gun simply doesn't like whatever Federal is loading.

I'd really prefer to shoot the AB, so I'm wondering if anyone has had similar issues with Federal loads, and then switched to Nosler Trophy Grade and had better luck. On the box the trophy grade is 50fps faster, and obviously they are using different primer, brass powder. The price difference, Federal $29.99, Trophy Grade $43.99, is substantial, which is why I wanted to shoot the Feds, but in the end it's not a big deal.

Hit me with your experiences. Looking for experiences not just isolated to 30-06.

I dont have your exact experience on switching from Federal to Nosler loads, but I can tell you that I have a 300WSM, 7-08, and a 260 Rem that all prefer the nobler trophy grade with the AB bullet to any other factory ammo...they are all Remington actions. I also have a buddy that has a Howa 6.5CM that loved the Nosler Trophy grade. In other words, it has shot well out of every rifle I have put it in, I wouldn't hesitate to give it a try.

You ever find out if the Nosler trophy grade worked out better than the federal? I've got an xbolt 300 wsm that I wanted to hand load some 180 gr ABs but don't have the equipment and my buddy doesn't have the time. Was thinking about grabbing a box of fed prem or Nosler TG and seeing how they do

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

OP
slowelk

slowelk

WKR
They grouped similarly poorly. I am now loading Barnes TTSX 168s after trying the factory loaded stuff. The factory Vor-Tx ammo grouped consistently under 1" - I would definitely recommend it as a factory option.

Bummer. I'll have to keep the Barnes in mind. Would really like to shoot 180 gr bonded but gotta stick with what the rifle likes

Try the Norma 300WSM 180 Accubond. Cheaper than the others and great brass. I’m also going to try their 180 grain Bondstrike, has a BC of .615
Unfortunately only found one website that had it. $40/box. Can get Nosler trophy grade for $43/box and will be able to find plenty more if it works out. Still might try it out though since $40/box is the cheapest I've found factory loaded 180 ABs

Sled

WKR
i have a rifle that prints clover leafs with factory nos AB trophy grade. i wanted to shoot non-toxic and chased that for a while. i even shot my elk with barnes ttsx last season out of that rifle. now that i'm feeling better about the AB again i will go back to 160gr AB 7mm. it's just too easy and i don't have the time to chase down something similar.

shoot what the rifle likes so long as it will perform on the game you're hunting.

The Greatest Spectacle in Motorcar Racing
Unfortunately only found one website that had it. $40/box. Can get Nosler trophy grade for $43/box and will be able to find plenty more if it works out. Still might try it out though since $40/box is the cheapest I've found factory loaded 180 ABs

Nosler TG at $43 is a great deal for their ammo, rarely see it that cheap!

The Greatest Spectacle in Motorcar Racing

Outdoor Limited?

RS3579

WKR
I have 3 Browning rifles (ABolt) that all shoot Federal prem. Accubond 180 gr excellent. I have not shot them out of a Xbolt yet. I did try the Nosler AB also but, with not enough of a better group to justify the cost difference.