Federal Berger Hybrid Hunter performance

Anyone have experience using Federal Berger Hybrid Hunter ammo on whitetail? How have they performed? Im specifically using the 140gr in my Tikka .270 Win as they seem to be the most accurate out of all the factory ammos I’ve tried. Being these are a hollow point design with more of a VLD profile, is it better to aim for the lung shot or drive through shoulder bone? Thanks

WCB

WKR
Definitely do not try to shoot through the shoulder. My buddy used my 6.5 Creed (135gr) and killed a Mule Deer (70 yards) and an Antelope (350 yards) and I killed an Antelope (400 yards).

While all the animals died quickly bullet performance varied. from blowing the inside to jelly to almost caliber size exit hole on the far side (no expansion?) None hit any major bone other than ribs.

I personally do not like Bergers for hunting but a lot of guys use them and like them. I also guided and saw some questionable performance with Bergers and perfectly placed shots. They are definitely the most accurate round out of my 6.5 but the Accubonds are almost as accurate and IMO a lot better constructed bullet so that is what I shoot out of my 6.5 now.

NDGuy

WKR
While all the animals died quickly bullet performance varied. from blowing the inside to jelly to almost caliber size exit hole on the far side (no expansion?) None hit any major bone other than ribs.
I have been researching bullets and chose Berger VLDs for my Elk hunt. I came across a lot of discussion threads and I get a kick out of them. From my findings, everyone shitting on them has the same story.

"I shot my animal and it died quicky but the bullet blew up!"

That is what Bergers are designed to do no? Rapidly fragment upon entering an animal for massive tissue damage. What does it matter what the bullet does if you killed the animal near instantly? They shoot great and disintegrate the boiler room, what's not to love?

fasteddie

FNG
Bergers work for me. I have only killed half a dozen animals with the Berger Hybrid Hunting bullets (whitetail and mule deer--6.5cr & 30-06)
BUT None took a single step after the shot. DRT. All shots were broadside; shoulder/high shoulder or double lung.