Federal bore-lok

slingerHB

Lil-Rokslider
I was trying the federal bore-loks out in my muzzleloader and seemed to group really well,but 2 times when the barrel was warm the bullet would not slide down the bore. Has anyone else had this problem or have suggestions on ways to be able to load right away. I'm more concerned with hunting scenario where I would need a follow up shot

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Not sure what you mean by "would not slide down the barrel"

Were those 2 much harder to seat or what exactly happened?

OP
S

slingerHB

Lil-Rokslider
Not sure what you mean by "would not slide down the barrel"

Were those 2 much harder to seat or what exactly happened?
Correct the bullet would not go down my barrel. Im using bh209 and was trying to shoot a group of 3 to see if these bullets grouped well. I shot the first 2 no problem. When I went to load for the third time I dumped my powder in then went to push the bullet down and it seized up about and inch down. I pulled the breech plug dumped my powder and I had to beat the bullet back out my barrel with Dom decent force.

OP
S

slingerHB

Lil-Rokslider
From all the reviews I looked at before never said anything about them being tight. If anything people didn't like them due to being loose. Also I'm shooting a traditions ultra light if that means anything

Wow, must confess I have never used these bullets. What gun are you using them in?

Was it always the 3rd shot?

OP
S

slingerHB

Lil-Rokslider
After trying to load the 3rd shot I quit. Bullet jammed, broke my rod trying to get the bullet out. This was the first time shooting the bore-lok.

Azone

WKR
I've shot alot of bor loks outta of my CVA accura MR and have never had a problem loading or seating a bullet. I shot 15 consecutive shots without cleaning 3 weeks ago and everyone hit where I was aiming. Distance being 100 and 200 yard gongs and running BH209 behind them. My charges were 80, 85 and 90 grains by weight touched of with a CCI 209. I find it really hard to believe one would jam given how easy the still managed to load on a dirty barrel. Hopefully someone on here will be able to explain it.

I would love to know the cause of the problem, but bottom line is your gun won't work with those bullets. You sure don't want to run into that problem when out hunting.

OP
S

slingerHB

Lil-Rokslider
I really don't have an explanation or reasoning to think why it would have done that other than my barrel swelled up that bad. I find that hard to believe seeing as I've never had issues with sabots, power belts and a few other bullets. I liked the way they grouped but I don't even want to attempt to load one again seeing as it really was a pain ,and now I have to buy a new ramrod.

OP
S

slingerHB

Lil-Rokslider
Traditions pursuit g4, also called the ultra lite I believe.

OP
S

slingerHB

Lil-Rokslider
I've shot alot of bor loks outta of my CVA accura MR and have never had a problem loading or seating a bullet. I shot 15 consecutive shots without cleaning 3 weeks ago and everyone hit where I was aiming. Distance being 100 and 200 yard gongs and running BH209 behind them. My charges were 80, 85 and 90 grains by weight touched of with a CCI 209. I find it really hard to believe one would jam given how easy the still managed to load on a dirty barrel. Hopefully someone on here will be able to explain it.
What powder weight seemed to work best for you when shooting the bore lok

Azone

WKR
80 grains grouped about 1.5 on average at 100 yards consistently. With 85 and 90 I was getting flyers and the recoil from 90 grains is not the friendliest feeling in the world. In the end I chose 80 because it was the most consistent load.

Loco4dux

WKR
80 grains grouped about 1.5 on average at 100 yards consistently. With 85 and 90 I was getting flyers and the recoil from 90 grains is not the friendliest feeling in the world. In the end I chose 80 because it was the most consistent load.

What weight bullet?

That is the copper and there is no give in copper. You might try the 350 gr lead one. There should be more give to that bullet

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I had the opposite problem with them. Tried both the lead and copper ones and both slid up and down the barrel after seating them. I've measured both with calipers and they're right at .498". My gun uses .500" Thors which go down with what I would consider the right amount of force, so I think they're just a bit too small for my barrel.

OP
S

slingerHB

Lil-Rokslider
Despite my brain telling me not to put a bullet down my barrel , I did last night and it went down fine. I guess I will try a second time to shoot these bullets and see what happens. Just weird most the reviews say this bullet is loose and I had the opposite problem. Maybe that bullet was bad but I haven't micd it yet.

Bore diameters do vary. Yours may be small. But I think if I were you I would prob run a patch down between shots.