Federal Proposals to CLOSE Alaska's GMU 23 and 26A to caribou and moose hunters

Clarktar

WKR
Larry,
Your testimony in 2017 as seen in your video link was incredibly powerful. Any chance of a similar performance this time?
He could literally clip sound bytes from that public comment and play them during the tele conference (unbeknownst to the listeners that he is playing a recording) and I bet the FSB members would ask questions and partake in the conversation. That is how exactly similar this special action is to previous ones, and how exactly the same arguments and evidence still hold credence. It's like groundhogs day.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

If what happened this past year in Unit 13 is any indication... it won't take them long to rule.

I hope that all the people on this forum that are planning hunts out of Kotz for Caribou understand that this will eliminate that, quite possibly, from ever happening...

Clarktar

WKR
A lot of truth in this post, I'd be surprised if this doesn't pass, no matter how much public comment they receive in opposition.
Without hope there is only despair!

Hopefully folks who read this post still understand being involved and voicing concern based on facts/values is still important.

Last edited:
Damn this reminds me of the Alaska law that requires a guide for a non res to hunt big bears, sheep, or goats, Wyo wilderness laws, etc. But instead of discriminating against out of stater's they are starting to discriminate in state also.

I would have a lot more compassion for the residents of Alaska that hunt or make a living in this area that are going to be affected if they would have the same type of outrage about the guide law. For some reason I have never seen a thread started by an Alaska resident trying to get the guide law repealed?

Clarktar

WKR
Damn this reminds me of the Alaska law that requires a guide for a non res to hunt big bears, sheep, or goats, Wyo wilderness laws, etc. But instead of discriminating against out of stater's they are starting to discriminate in state also.

I would have a lot more compassion for the residents of Alaska that hunt or make a living in this area that are going to be affected if they would have the same type of outrage about the guide law. For some reason I have never seen a thread started by an Alaska resident trying to get the guide law repealed?
Separate issue. Let's try to keep this thread focused on this near-term meeting/decision.

I'm sure you will get plenty of traction if you start a thread about the guide law.

Last edited:
OP
L

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Dirtytough. To put it simply, the guide industry is heavily funded and lobbied by professional craftsmen. It's "dirtytough" to oppose the guide system and economy it creates because Alaska depends on it. Guides and transporters also hold seats on the BOG and the Gov appoints those seats to make state wildlife decisions in coalescence with ADFG, DNR and federal agencies.

A voice from me as a resident in uproar against the guide requirements would get me and you no where indeed.

Sourdough

WKR
In a cabin, on a mountain, in "Wilderness" Alaska.
Without hope there is only despair!

Hopefully folks who read this post still understand being involved and voicing concern based on facts/values is still important.

I 100% disagree. When you hunt Alaska, it is prudent to be aware which quarry is worth going up against if all you have is a snub-nosed .22 with one round of .22 BB Caps.

Yes.....it does "feel" good to tilt at windmills, yes.......it is a noble and lofty enterprise.

They will continue and nothing will stop them. They are "The Department of the Interior, of The United States of America".

At the individual level, at the family level, at the small group level......there are far more prudent ways to solve this issue. Smart people, families, and smart small groups, have been positioning themselves to mitigate the impact of Federal intrusion of hunting and fishing for the last several decades.

Not trying to pee on anyone's desire to fight. Have at it, I truly hope the people win, however history, especially Alaska history is not even slightly encouraging of this effort.

fatbacks

WKR
If what happened this past year in Unit 13 is any indication... it won't take them long to rule.

I hope that all the people on this forum that are planning hunts out of Kotz for Caribou understand that this will eliminate that, quite possibly, from ever happening...
I know the State sued over this... any idea if they won in the lawsuit?

fatbacks

WKR
I just submitted a request to the board to take email testimony. Doubt that will happen.

For this of you so inclined, it might be worth emailing or calling your Senators and Representatives on this.

Clarktar

WKR
I 100% disagree. When you hunt Alaska, it is prudent to be aware which quarry is worth going up against if all you have is a snub-nosed .22 with one round of .22 BB Caps.

Yes.....it does "feel" good to tilt at windmills, yes.......it is a noble and lofty enterprise.

They will continue and nothing will stop them. They are "The Department of the Interior, of The United States of America".

At the individual level, at the family level, at the small group level......there are far more prudent ways to solve this issue. Smart people, families, and smart small groups, have been positioning themselves to mitigate the impact of Federal intrusion of hunting and fishing for the last several decades.

Not trying to pee on anyone's desire to fight. Have at it, I truly hope the people win, however history, especially Alaska history is not even slightly encouraging of this effort.
Perhaps you can elaborate on the "far more prudent ways to solve this issue" for those of us who have not been positioning themselves to mitigate these impacts of Federal intrusion on hunting and fishing for the last several years. I am all for hearing and understanding the variety of approaches a person(s) can take.

It is fine to disagree, but I am a proponent of being involved in the process (even if that is an email to express my views to regulators, politicians, etc), especially if I plan to complain about the results later.

OP
L

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Actually a better lap to crawl onto would be the Secretary of the Interior Deb Haaland (Laguna Pueblo native) and her new hand picked Alaska Affairs and Strategic Priorities Advisor, Raina Thiele, who is also Athabascan and Yup'ik.

Gulp!

I'm predicting, without proper and moral guidance for true conflict resolution between natives and non-local user groups, this matter will come down to non-locals refusing the validity of these closures and continuing their plans in accordance with state Hunting Regulations and pursuing hunting game below mean high water and other state lands surrounded by federal public lands.

Short term, we are forced to be reactive to their initiatives vs. proactive. It's a losing proposition in any scenario to operate reactively.

Sourdough

WKR
In a cabin, on a mountain, in "Wilderness" Alaska.
Perhaps you can elaborate on the "far more prudent ways to solve this issue" for those of us who have not been positioning themselves to mitigate these impacts of Federal intrusion on hunting and fishing for the last several years.

Thanks for the invitation. However what I have learned is if I give the answer, it results in dozens of "excuses" of CAN"T.

If as I have pointed out there are more prudent roads to travel, some will take a few beers and go to a quiet place, and figure it out for themselves. And in so doing that, they "Own" that enlightenment, and are far less likely to fight against their own wisdom.

Clarktar

WKR
Thanks for the invitation. However what I have learned is if I give the answer, it results in dozens of "excuses" of CAN"T.

If as I have pointed out there are more prudent roads to travel, some will take a few beers and go to a quiet place, and figure it out for themselves. And in so doing that, they "Own" that enlightenment, and are far less likely to fight against their own wisdom.
Well, thanks for letting folks know you disagree that being involved or expressing facts/values around this issue is not important. Excuses are a dime a dozen anymore.

Reactions: WRO
AGL, I think that he is being genuine and there are plenty of people on here that would like to hear what you propose as options to solve this issue.

Catag94

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
I just submitted a request to the board to take email testimony. Doubt that will happen.

For this of you so inclined, it might be worth emailing or calling your Senators and Representatives on this.

I requested Ted Cruz jump in and protect our rights yesterday. Have had a reply yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jackal7

Lil-Rokslider
My group hunted out of Kotz in 2019. We were about to send in our deposits to the outfitter for a 2022 hunt when this thread caught my eye.

Without the benefit of knowing the history and how the feds are going to approach this issue, what are the actual odds that 23 and 26 get "temporarily" closed to non-subsistence caribou hunting? I tried to pick that out from reading everyone's informative posts but its not exactly clear to us.

Also, what happens to everyone's deposits with outfitters if their hunting zone is now off limits? Are the outfitters able to simply relocate their base of operations to hunt other herds in other management areas? Is that permitted under Alaska regulations?

Any input, advice and information from the Alaska folks is appreciated. Thank you.