Federal Proposals to CLOSE Alaska's GMU 23 and 26A to caribou and moose hunters

Is that the official ruling or is that what was recommended to the board?

My time zone math may be off but it seems that meeting hasn't adjourned yet?

Unless the outfitter has verbal from each person on how they will vote, they are not "good to go" until after the vote later this morning. The OSM suggestion is just the suggestion laid out in the summary report. All information can be thrown out when it comes to voting.

Edit: I should say board members can and will vote the way the group they represent wants them to and don't really need to take the OSM suggestion into account. Seems to be pretty clear on how local members will vote and as you can see from the voting record from 2016 a few posts above on this page, it just takes one of the federal agencies to go along with the locals to flip things in favor.

Last edited:

Broomd

WKR
6b9e797cd757d4c46656fada23dbcde9.jpg

That’s my hunting and adventure buddy. She’d walk through hell and back with me and never complain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That area was where my new wife and I spent our official honeymoon. We both took great caribou (she killed and field-dressed her own bull all on her own!) and we caught grayling and 36" sheefish until our arms hurt.
Literally the trip of a lifetime, dropped off by Warbelow's mail plane in Ambler.

The one thing I'll never forget was when we were offloading caribou heads, several local natives were chiding us about making sure we got all of our 'moose meat.' They didn't know the difference between caribou and moose antlers. Anecdotal, but It speaks to the fact that there are a select few pulling the political strings for the masses.

VenaticOppidan

Lil-Rokslider
My outfitter just sent me this and said we are good to go!!! Just booked my trip for 2022. Doesn’t look like they are going to side with this crap again after 2016 proved no change in migration or anything. Moose was affected though so I’d read through that part if moose is ok your list.

4c6f495c2820845bd9c03b229f903d1d.jpg

I tried to be helpful and post what i learned from the PR woman in charge of this issue, as she is the direct representative. I spoke with her for about 20-30min and linked what your outfitter sent you a week ago in post 190. They DO NOT need to take the recommendation. Meeting will be starting in 2 minutes.

Recording asks for your name and any affilation when you join the conference, don't recall that happening in the past. And OSM also gave the FSB other options...like partial land closure for caribou etc. This meeting will really confirm whether or not all the RAC board members will take the science over conjecture and be willing to "share" with non-locals.

Catag94

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
It would be good if they have a quorum without Rhonda and Anthony!

Catag94

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
Who else is growing more and more disgusted with the dishonest, play on sympathy approach of these proponents' arguments?

VenaticOppidan

Lil-Rokslider
Who else is growing more and more disgusted with the dishonest, play on sympathy approach of these proponents' arguments?

It’s emotion vs logic, which as of late in this country more decisions seem to be made on emotion rather than hard evidence.

Catag94

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
They're definitely making their case known.... I hope we hear more in opposition the the special action!!!
I don't even know why this is being allowed since there has already been a public hearing for verbal comments. It is BS.

Limiting the amount of people that can hunt in this region will not magically make the caribou show up in the communities usual hunting grounds. This entire thing is a sham and those that are in favor of this closure should be ashamed at themselves for using this federal process in hopes that it will actually change a wild animals habits, that oh by the way, change annually based on many factors that none of us have control over.

Listening to this is just unreal...

VenaticOppidan

Lil-Rokslider
Someone’s driving a forklift while
Making a far reaching decision that may establish precedent. Very professional.

Catag94

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
Limiting the amount of people that can hunt in this region will not magically make the caribou show up in the communities usual hunting grounds. This entire thing is a sham and those that are in favor of this closure should be ashamed at themselves for using this federal process in hopes that it will actually change a wild animals habits, that oh by the way, change annually based on many factors that none of us have control over.

Listening to this is just unreal...
All the educated and engaged professionals who are tasked with studying and managing the wildlife have said over and over that migration changes are common and the exact reasoning is unknown. This alone seems to be sufficient to make this an "Unnecessary Closure on Non-Federally qualified users". Also, have these voting board members or other read the OSM analysis? It is not supported by the OSM. (of course the one in 2016 wasn't either.

Ahhh, you mean the ideology of a certain political group... lol

Catag94

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
These comments are a very promising start to the deliberation.
BIA rep suggested deferral at this time to prepare a more thorough analysis and a more solid position.
Chairman Christianson agrees
BLM rep agrees.

Catag94

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
Lisa just pointed out that this specific request is specific to this season so a deferral past this season is useless.