Federal Terminal Ascent Accuracy

So I sighted in my .308 with Federal Trophy Bonded 180s and they group right around 1" out of my gun at 100 yards laying prone with a Harris bipod. After reviewing ballistics (and due to the ammo shortage) I picked up a box of the 175 grain Terminal Ascent rounds. I was very pleasantly surprised to have these group under 1" at 100 yards without making any adjustments at all. Very clean burning and exceptionally accurate out of my gun.

Forest

WKR
I've only tried them in one gun. Shot them next to 4 other options (all factory loads). And they shot the best and performed quite well on a bull. I'll be trying them in other guns when supply comes back

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

DEGdog

FNG
Haven’t tried the terminal ascent in my 30-06 but I also got poor groupings from the federal trophy bonded tip in 165. Maybe 2” groups at 100 yd. Got excellent groups from both Barnes lrx in 175 and sig copper in 150 both around an inch at 200 yds.

OP
jjohnsonElknewbie
It amazes me how guns like one brand, round, grain, etc... I followed the exact same process for each load during my range time the other day. The barrel was dirty from the last range session, so I ran a brass brush through it several times and followed that with a dry mop , I shot the 180 TBT first at 100 yards, sighted in 2.2" high. I had already sighted this load in and expected it to group around 1-2" which it did. I ran the brush through the barrel several times and followed that with a dry mop. The next 3 shot group was the 175 TA, and this group closed in just under 1". Again, I ran a brass brush through the barrel several times and followed that with a dry mop.

Next I tried the 180 Winchester white box power point. This load was all over the place with a total spread of 8" and "grouping" of roughly 4". I noticed significantly more recoil with the Winchester load than the Federal offerings as well. I was really hoping the Winchesters would shoot good, because i picked up the box for $25 at Scheels over the weekend and they actually had a ton of stock in this load. Unfortunately, given the very poor results with this one, I won't be purchasing it in the future.

During my next session I plan to try out some 180 Federal Fusions to see how they shoot. The ballistics are very similar to the TBT and the TA, so I am hopeful that these may be another more reasonable (and available) alternative. I've also read that the Fusions softer construction performs great on black bears.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I'm curious as to what accuracy others are getting as well. I picked up some 175s to try out with a new Tikka 300wsm.
What I want to know is this.... where did you find a new Tikka 300wsm?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

gilby

Lil-Rokslider

The Scheels in MN had one in stock in May. It's currently getting threaded and cut down for a TBAC Ultra 7 I have in jail.

TxxAgg

WKR

sneaky

"DADDY"
I believe that one still has the 1:11 twist instead of the updated 1:10. Still can't figure out why Tikka made 30cals in 11 twists.

STAxel

FNG
Still can't figure out why Tikka made 30cals in 11 twists.

I’ve been told that because Tikka is European and they cater to European standards of hunting, they’re not shooting huge critters like in North America.

Yes, had very good luck sighting in some 200gr 300wsm Terminal Ascent, as the most accurate out of my Kimber Mtn Ascent. Tried about 4-5 different factory rounds with the Terminal Ascent with the smallest groups. The Federal TTSX and Hornady Outfitter 180gr bullets were 2nd most accurate in my gun.

It amazes me how guns like one brand, round, grain, etc... I followed the exact same process for each load during my range time the other day. The barrel was dirty from the last range session, so I ran a brass brush through it several times and followed that with a dry mop , I shot the 180 TBT first at 100 yards, sighted in 2.2" high. I had already sighted this load in and expected it to group around 1-2" which it did. I ran the brush through the barrel several times and followed that with a dry mop. The next 3 shot group was the 175 TA, and this group closed in just under 1". Again, I ran a brass brush through the barrel several times and followed that with a dry mop.

Next I tried the 180 Winchester white box power point. This load was all over the place with a total spread of 8" and "grouping" of roughly 4". I noticed significantly more recoil with the Winchester load than the Federal offerings as well. I was really hoping the Winchesters would shoot good, because i picked up the box for $25 at Scheels over the weekend and they actually had a ton of stock in this load. Unfortunately, given the very poor results with this one, I won't be purchasing it in the future.

During my next session I plan to try out some 180 Federal Fusions to see how they shoot. The ballistics are very similar to the TBT and the TA, so I am hopeful that these may be another more reasonable (and available) alternative. I've also read that the Fusions softer construction performs great on black bears.
I bought a Browning 7 mag last year and with ammo very difficult to find, I have had to buy many different types and brands of ammo which is a plus because I have found the ammo’s that shoot best out of my rifle. Hands down the 150 gr Federal Fusion wins. My dilemma is I’ve read mixed reviews on whether or not to use it on elk. I have a NM rifle elk tag for October. The Barnes TSX in 140 are a close second. I just picked up some 168 gr Nosler Accubonds to try and some partitions coming. If the partitions fly great that will be my choice.

OP
jjohnsonElknewbie

Quick update: the Fusions shot like trash, very similar to the 180 winchesters. I stuck with the 175 (not 180) Federal Terminal Ascent and shot my bull through the lungs at roughly 80 yards broadside. Entry was perfect .30 cal and exit was 3" after exploding a rib on the way out. He dropped to both front knees after the shot, recovered and turned and walked slowly (even with a broken shoulder) back the way he came. I anchored him with a second shot before he went over a cliff.

I plan to go stock up on the 175 TA when they are more available and hopefully a little cheaper.