Federal Terminal Ascent Bullets - Anyone used em?

Just reading about some of the new offerings that Federal has for bullets. I stumbled upon the new (newish) Terminal Ascent bullet. I appears to have some bells and whistles that everyone likes (BC, shiny tip), but generally it looks to be combination of elements of barnes bullets (grooves, longer), Bergers (hollow points), and bonded bullets. I was curious if anyone knows if they shoot for a dern or (more importantly) how they perform when they hit something besides paper. I would likely be trying the 136gr .277 bullets.

Quin

FNG
I'm not sure how these are different than the Edge TLR. Marketing reads very similar. Even seem to be the same weights and BCs. Are they correcting a flaw or making an actual improvement? Or just a newer, more shiny box?

swehrman

Lil-Rokslider
They have slightly lower BCs compared to the Edge TLR. I think the reason is the Terminal Ascent has two grooves in the shank, while the Edge TLR has one. The .308 200 gr Edge TLR has a 0.625 G1 BC, while the Terminal Ascent version is 0.608.

-- Scott

Quin

FNG
They have slightly lower BCs compared to the Edge TLR. I think the reason is the Terminal Ascent has two grooves in the shank, while the Edge TLR has one. The .308 200 gr Edge TLR has a 0.625 G1 BC, while the Terminal Ascent version is 0.608.

-- Scott
Loaded ammunition lists the same BC on the federal website for at least a few cartridges. But now that I look at it, you're correct, the component bullets' BCs don't match.

Finn16

WKR
I called Federal last month about these. I was told the TA's have two grooves and are more accurate than the Edge TLR which is discontinued. On paper these look like a great hunting bullet. I wish the 6.5 weighed another 10 -15 grains though.

OP
Bull_n_heat

-- Scott
Have any of you guys shot game with either of these two offerings? I'm just curious if they hold together and what they do when they hit something. BC is great and all, but it alone has never killed an animal.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Have any of you guys shot game with either of these two offerings? I'm just curious if they hold together and what they do when they hit something. BC is great and all, but it alone has never killed an animal.

They do exactly what is shown in Federals videos of the TLR. If you believe weight retention matters, they are an excellent bullet.

pyrotechnic

Lil-Rokslider
I bought some Terminal Ascent loaded ammunition for my 06 and just had my first range session with them.

Accuracy was ok, right at 1 MOA. Not as well as I had hoped but it will do just fine out the the distances I'll shoot an animal. I'm also not getting to shoot a rifle as often as I would like at the moment, so wringing every bit of accuracy out of a rifle/ammo combination might be beyond me at this time.

They chronographed at an average of 2729 out of my 22" proof. The box lists 2730. SD of 13. However, I was only able to register 5 shots, and then my magnetospeed started giving me problems.

Only shot some steel out to 660yds with them but the .264 g7 BC got me hits. I'll be testing them a bit further and update the thread as I go.

pyrotechnic

Lil-Rokslider
Shot another box today. I shot out to 975yds. I was standing off the tripod as it was muddy and I hadn't brought anything to lay down on.

Past 660 I was predictably mediocre with the high winds and shooting position (not to mention the shooter), but I changed the g7 to .258. This brought the calculator in line with what I was seeing at 975. I believe the .264 that I had been using was advertised for the TLR edge projectile.

So far I'm pretty pleased with the ammo, hopefully I'll get to use it on a bear in the next couple weeks.

pyrotechnic

Lil-Rokslider
Got another range session in with this ammo. Shot a sighter at 500yds then printed this 4 1/8" , 5 shot group. I know it's not fantastic, but I'm pretty tickled with a bonded factory hunting round that shoots sub minute with me behind the gun.
20200517_124334-jpg.181996

The G7 .258 BC tracked well for me out to 1k today.

Attachments

• 20200517_124334.jpg
    20200517_124334.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 2,104

kipper09

WKR
Wanted to pull this back up and see if anybody else had experience or Input on these?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jmav58

WKR
I shoot the TA out of my dad's 1993 30-06 and it shoots right at 1 MOA. I'm not a gun guy, more of a bow guy, but I'm really pleased with the round so far.

I’m shooting off the shelf, 7mm 155 gr Fed TA’s out of a 24” Proof barrel. Averaging around 3046 FPS with an ES of about 15, printing 1MOA at 100 yards. My stick usually shoots Accubonds really well (subminute) but I wanted to mix things up a bit this season and I’m looking forward to seeing the terminal results on game compared to my usual AB’s.

Last edited:

gelton

WKR
I’m shooting off the shelf, 7mm 155 gr Fed TA’s out of a 24” Proof barrel. Averaging around 3046 FPS with an SD of about 15, printing 1MOA at 100 yards. My stick usually shoots Accubonds really well (subminute) but I wanted to mix things up a bit this season and I’m looking forward to seeing the terminal results on game compared to my usual AB’s.
I think you meant to say ES of 15 not SD...15 would not be a very good figure for standard deviation.

gelton

WKR
On paper, they look great and I plan on testing some, the only thing that causes me a slight bit of concern is for long-range low-velocity impacts...I have seen some youtube videos and ballistic gel tests that just don't seem very reassuring. Tiny, tiny mushroom as in 4 single petals. They look excellent for anything where the impact is +2500 fps.

With that being said, I am shooting Accubonds this year and you can say the exact same about them as well.

Tmac

WKR
My 270 shoots the 136 gr. TA very well. It will go on a cow hunt mid month, I expect the bullet to perform very well as it’s based on a proven design, but we’ll see. The only concern I have is the nickel plating. Should it foul the barrel, how would one go about cleaning that out? Would available solvents do the job? If it does cause a problem, I’ve been wanting a faster twist 24” 270 Win barrel on that Tikka anyway...

WCB

WKR
My 270 shoots the 136 gr. TA very well. It will go on a cow hunt mid month, I expect the bullet to perform very well as it’s based on a proven design, but we’ll see. The only concern I have is the nickel plating. Should it foul the barrel, how would one go about cleaning that out? Would available solvents do the job? If it does cause a problem, I’ve been wanting a faster twist 24” 270 Win barrel on that Tikka anyway...

I shoot the Trophy Boded Tips out of multiple calibers...my 7rem had at least 400 rounds of these through it. When it gets to the point you have to clean the barrel due to bad accuracy use a normal solvent that removes copper. I use Gunslick foaming bore cleaner....zero issues.

Venatic

FNG
I Shot a cow elk at 510 yards last year with the 175 gr TLR version and the performance was as expected complete pass thru and she piled up after a 30 yards dash.
They shot quite well from my 300 WSM with 20 in barrel running 2900 fps