Feedback on a rebarrel

PA 5-0

WKR
Hey guys,

Looking for some advice in the event I have to rebarrel my rifle for an upcoming sheep hunt.

I have a fairly cherry Remington 700 TI, Gen 1, in 300 saum. Even with the stock, sandy feeling trigger, I have the gun grouping 4 shot, 2.25" groups at 200yds with factory ammo(1" at a 100yds). That is including the cold bore shots. I am thinking I need a 500yd gun for AK sheep. I have to travel a little bit to get to a 500yd shooting range so I have yet to test it at longer distances.

I am replacing the trigger immediately which in my experience, will definitely tighten up groups. In the event that I cant get it to shoot good enough at longer distances, what barrel do you guys recommend for this gun???? Anyone one have experience with the Rem 700 TI. I have no experience with rebarrels and there are a lot of manufacturers out there. Stainless and fluted would be the starting point.

Appreciate the info,
Dan

30-338mag

FNG
Lot of good ones Bartlein,Mike Rock,Broughton,Brux,Kreiger,Lilja,Hart are some of the ones I'm shooting. It may not be who's barrel I want to use but what barrel can I get. I would get hold of gunsmith you plan on using and see what he can get.

Any of the big names make a good tube.

Bartlein, Lilja, Brux, Krieger, Benchmark, etc etc.

That being said, I prefer cut rifling rather than button.

One thing you might take into consideration in who you go with, is who can get you a tube when you need it. It sounds like this project may have a timeline limitation due to an upcoming hunt, and some of these makers are more than a few months out on tubes (Krieger was 9-11 months out earlier this spring on 6mm tubes at least). Thats not to take into account time to have a smith do the job too.

Id start making calls ASAP and see who can get you what you want in the time frame you need it.

Shrek

WKR
Whatever you decide just don't wait too late. Unless you are really tight with your smith and he happens to have the barrel on hand it will not happen in a week. Barrels could run from in stock to sixteen weeks +. Smiths run from two weeks to you or he may die of old age before it's done. Most I have talked to run about a month to two wait. My current wait is eight weeks as of today.

We've never had a barrel from a reputable manufacturer shoot bad, but we have been able to tell what companies are using higher quality metal. Benchmark for example uses a slightly softer metal that has resulted in a tougher chamber job and not cleaning up great. Also noticed on an identical barrel contour but with 1" longer barrel tennon and 2" longer overall length the benchmark was only 2 oz lighter than a Bartlein. This makes one assume the Bartlein steel is denser and the machining of them reflects this.

Bartlein and Rock Creek have always machined and shot great. Broughton is another very reputable company that I would not hesitate to use. Same with Brux, or Lilja.
Never used a Hart but heard nothing but good things. We've noticed with the benchmarks a slight break in period for them but they shoot AWESOME regardless of how they machine. Not sure if this is a reflection of their button rifling process or not.

Rock creek have been very fast but they can be tough to get, Bartleins are consistent and fast as well.

Honestly I'd go with Rock Creek, Bartlein, Broughton, Brux, Benchmark in that order based upon what you can afford and availability.

Mike

I have built a 6.8 AR rifle with a Shilen barrel, and it shot great. With that said I am running a Brux barrel for my 300 mag and it shoots great. Not sure what the Barrel Manufators are having for leed time. But if ya have plans for this season, get calling.

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hey guys,

Looking for some advice in the event I have to rebarrel my rifle for an upcoming sheep hunt.

I have a fairly cherry Remington 700 TI, Gen 1, in 300 saum. Even with the stock, sandy feeling trigger, I have the gun grouping 4 shot, 2.25" groups at 200yds with factory ammo(1" at a 100yds). That is including the cold bore shots. I am thinking I need a 500yd gun for AK sheep. I have to travel a little bit to get to a 500yd shooting range so I have yet to test it at longer distances.

I am replacing the trigger immediately which in my experience, will definitely tighten up groups. In the event that I cant get it to shoot good enough at longer distances, what barrel do you guys recommend for this gun???? Anyone one have experience with the Rem 700 TI. I have no experience with rebarrels and there are a lot of manufacturers out there. Stainless and fluted would be the starting point.

Appreciate the info,
Dan

Dan, that is not all that bad with factory ammo and a factory setup. I'm fairly certain a good trigger (as in jewell) and maybe an accurizing job would do it wonders. Don't know if you reload but that would also improve things. I run pac-nor, hart and broughton barrels and I also have factory barrels that shoot well.

Randy

wapitibob

WKR
I put a Brux #5 on a dog rem 700 and had a friend do my action and barrel work and it shoots 1/2 minute at 400 yards with reloads.

OP
PA 5-0

PA 5-0

WKR
Awesome info gents. I greatly appreciate all the advice. I am gonna meet a buddy this weekend for a 500yd session at his range. In the mean time, I am going to make a couple calls to check availability on the barrels suggested. Look forward to any other thoughts or advice. Thx again. Dan

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
I believe the smith is much more important than which barrel you choose.

I agree with Sam on the #4 fluted. I think it would be perfect for that rifle.

60x

WKR
Dan what happened to the bow;). In all seriousness if it's shooting that good you won't have much to worry about. 500 is a push and I can't recall but a time or two having a hunter shooting a sheep that far. Nothing wrong with being prepared though. Most guides are gonna want to get in a bit closer to judge your ram. I do suggest you practice some realistic shots like off a pack prone and such. I'm really looking forward to hearing bout your hunt. What are your dates again. Hoping to meet up with you in anchorage but I gotta goat, sheep a few moose hunts to do so hopefully it works out.
Dave

Brent1321

Lil-Rokslider
I believe the smith is much more important than which barrel you choose.

This...... Find the best barrel in the world, but if your selected Gunsmith screws up the chambering process, you will have nothing more than a nice tomato stake. Find a Gunsmith first, let him pick the barrel maker. He knows what barrels are shooters and which are not.

Brent

ST52v

WKR
I no nothing about this from personal experience just what I have read on line. Some of this info came from people who post on here on a regular basis. If you know what bullet you want to run I would ask for advise on twist rate and # of groves. From what I have read 1-10 twist with 5 groves should be fine. I know one member that really likes Hart tubes with 6 groves. I know I would need some help figuring all this out. What does everyone else think or know about these things?

OP
PA 5-0

PA 5-0

WKR
Dan what happened to the bow;). In all seriousness if it's shooting that good you won't have much to worry about. 500 is a push and I can't recall but a time or two having a hunter shooting a sheep that far. Nothing wrong with being prepared though. Most guides are gonna want to get in a bit closer to judge your ram. I do suggest you practice some realistic shots like off a pack prone and such. I'm really looking forward to hearing bout your hunt. What are your dates again. Hoping to meet up with you in anchorage but I gotta goat, sheep a few moose hunts to do so hopefully it works out.
Dave

Hey Dave. Hope the family is well. The bow is going and dialed in. I chose this walk in hunt because the guide has an exclusive bow zone so he offered to do the bow for the first half of the trip. If nothing is developing, we are a mntn pass away from gun area he hunts. Like you said, nothing wrong with being prepared. My 10 day hunt starts Aug 8. STOKED!!!!! I am flying in on the 6th. Would luv to hook up with you. Even if I tag out early, I am hanging out to do some fishing, sight seeing, whatever. Talk to ya soon. Dan

I no nothing about this from personal experience just what I have read on line. Some of this info came from people who post on here on a regular basis. If you know what bullet you want to run I would ask for advise on twist rate and # of groves. From what I have read 1-10 twist with 5 groves should be fine. I know one member that really likes Hart tubes with 6 groves. I know I would need some help figuring all this out. What does everyone else think or know about these things?

Both 5 and 6 grooves shoot well from the rifles we've built. There is a thought process that the opposing grooves on a 6 groove rifle aren't as fast as a 5 groove due to possible pressure loss from the direct 180* opposing grooves but we haven't done any hard testing on this and have no concrete data.

Mike

60x

WKR
Family is great. Baby is getting big and smiles and laughs and my heart melts. I'm so in awe of her.

The timing is good. I don't go out on a sheep hunt till August 23 I think. Also if you tag out early there will be lots for you to do that time of year. Heck even chase a blackie.
Dan one other thing to consider is time you have left. Make sure you have a backup plan if the rebarrel takes to long. August will be here quick and you will want time to be familiar with any changes made to your gun. Dave