Feedback on some 2P tent options

rebelblue

FNG
I've got five tents on deck and I'm locked down with analysis paralysis. What better way to fix that than asking for even more information? Ha! Not all info is equal, though, and personal experience is just about as valuable as it comes. Thanks in advance for any thoughts you might have.

Use and notes:
The tent will be used for hike-ins with the goal of walking out heavy. I know my weights, but since I am going to shoot the biggest thing I see an extra ounce or two (or several) won't be the thing that kills me. Nonetheless, I'm sane and reasonable so I am mostly on the UL end of the spectrum. I don't need a 4-season so Hilleberg and the like are not on the list. Most of these hunts will be in the Southeast and many during archery season so floorless won't work due to mosquitoes, ticks, chiggers, and snakes (at least it's not Australia, right?). Will be sleeping solo mostly, but will take the occasional scouting trip with my wife or one of my kids. I appreciate quality and am not interested in getting something I know I am going to replace down the line. I want this tent to last me years so those of you who can vouch for option 5, pls speak up.

Considering:
1. Big Agnes Copper Spur HV UL2
2. MSR Hubba Hubba NX2
3. Marmot Tungsten UL 2P
4. NEMO Dagger 2P (This was a late addition and I don't know much about these yet, but for the price I wonder if the BA CS2 should edge it out?)
5. REI Co-op Half Dome 2P (Weight penalty for sure, but could easily shift the saved dough onto boots or a pack or countless other things. As noted above, I am most uneasy with this one from the POV of durability/quality.)

There it is. Damn you for adding ANOTHER tent to this list, but thank you for shining a light on something you think I might've missed. Cheers

jolemons

WKR
I've always been Tarptent guy. Trying floorless this year.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Akicita

WKR
My recommendation in order are these:

1. Nemo Dagger
2. MSR Hubba Hubba NX2
3. Big Agnes Copper Spur HV UL2

Hubba Hubba and Dagger are both great tents but the nod for me goes to the Dagger for a the larger vestibule.

Last edited:

Squirrels

WKR
Haven't had it out but I picked up a tarptent double rainbow with the optional liner. I like the setup (setup in the yard) and right at 3 lbs for the entire package including stuff sack and stakes it is pretty light for a floored shelter.

OP
rebelblue

rebelblue

FNG
My recommendation in order are these:

1. Nemo Dagger
2. MSR Hubba Hubba NX2
3. Big Agnes Copper Spur HV UL2

Hubba Hubba and Dagger are both great tents but the nod for me goes to the Dagger for a the larger vestibule.
Good stuff. Thanks for the ordered list! It's particularly interesting because the BA CS set ups seem to consistently top lists. I wonder why it's 3rd for you. Two bones I've seen picked with that tent are the taper at the foot end and the not-as-fine mesh that could potentially let in no-see-ums. Any other standout criticisms on the BA? Any in additional pros other than the larger vestibule that put the NEMO on top?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

deertrout

Lil-Rokslider
I'm in the same boat as you and after months of hemming and hawing, I'm stuck between the dagger 2p and the nemo hornet 2p over the copper spur hv ul2. The dagger is a tad bit heavier than the copper spur, but the materials are more durable and more square footage. The only reason the hornet is still on my list is the ounce counter in me, but I will probably go with the dagger. Which, btw, you can get for $300 right now at the clymb with a 25% off promo code they shared on Facebook today, FBTHANKS.

SCOGS

Lil-Rokslider
I would also recommend looking at Tarptent. I know you're not looking for a 4 season tent, but for the size/weight you are looking at, you can get a Scarp 2 that is higher quality than the big brand tents, built of a more durable and more waterproof material, made in America, and has better customer service. They also have lots of other options- single wall, double wall, trekking pole supported etc.

If you want a more traditional double wall, freestanding tent like the ones you listed I would look at Big Sky International. Lighter, higher quality, better materials, etc.

Also both of these manufacturers have a lot of options were the inner tent is connected to the fly and they set up together instead of having a separate fly. Much quicker and easier imo. You can also choose solid inners which are really nice for blocking wind on cold nights or to keep dirt or snow from blowing into the shelter.

OP
rebelblue

rebelblue

FNG
I will probably go with the dagger. Which, btw, you can get for $300 right now at the clymb with a 25% off promo code they shared on Facebook today, FBTHANKS.

Oof. That's a deep discount on the NEMO. Thanks for the heads up!

I would also recommend looking at Tarptent... If you want a more traditional double wall, freestanding tent like the ones you listed I would look at Big Sky International.

Second time Tarptent got dropped. Sounds like something worth looking into. My main concern with most of those offerings is actually the fixed fly. Heat and humidity in NC is a BEAST so the option to leave the fly in the pack when there's no rain in the forecast makes for more pleasant nights. Plus, you cant argue with staring up at the stars and treetops.

Will also look closer at Big Sky Int'l. Their website leaves a lot to be desired, but I'm sure YouTube would get me a better peek at their tents. Super impressive weights on those things!

Thanks all for the feedback. Anybody care to chime in with Big Agnes or MSR experience? (hope so.)

OregonInAlaska

Lil-Rokslider
I just went with th kuiu mountain star 2p
Light stout and plenty of room for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Akicita

WKR
Good stuff. Thanks for the ordered list! It's particularly interesting because the BA CS set ups seem to consistently top lists. I wonder why it's 3rd for you. Two bones I've seen picked with that tent are the taper at the foot end and the not-as-fine mesh that could potentially let in no-see-ums. Any other standout criticisms on the BA? Any in additional pros other than the larger vestibule that put the NEMO on top?

Sorry for the late reply. I will give you the specific differences between the Copper Spur and the Dagger that gives the Dagger the slight edge for me based on my personal experience with each.

1. Dagger has better materials and overall construction that I feel will hold up better under hard use than the Copper Spur 30D vs 20D. That is significant from my subject matter experience.
2. Zippers - "Point blank", the Copper Spur zippers suck. The Daggers - although not great, are much better and not nearly as frustrating.
3. Tapered floor plan - Copper Spur has a tapered floor plan. . . I personally don't like this but may not be a disadvantage if you are using it as a solo shelter.

xziang

WKR
I run the Hubba Hubba and am happy with it. I bought this over the BA due to price and sale that REI had on it. I don't think you could go wrong with either tent. Will or may want to also purchase the ground cloth for them too. I ran the ground cloth and rain fly on a quick weekend trip once to save some weight.

OP
rebelblue

rebelblue

FNG
Sorry for the late reply. I will give you the specific differences between the Copper Spur and the Dagger that gives the Dagger the slight edge for me based on my personal experience with each.

1. Dagger has better materials and overall construction that I feel will hold up better under hard use than the Copper Spur 30D vs 20D. That is significant from my subject matter experience.
2. Zippers - "Point blank", the Copper Spur zippers suck. The Daggers - although not great, are much better and not nearly as frustrating.
3. Tapered floor plan - Copper Spur has a tapered floor plan. . . I personally don't like this but may not be a disadvantage if you are using it as a solo shelter.
Thanks for the reply, @Akicita. The promo mentioned in an earlier post was too good to pass up and made the decision for me. The Dagger is in the mail and I am pumped to get it in the field. Totally agree, too, on the more durable material and the 90x50 footprint as winning characteristics. The other kicker are those trapezoidal vestibules kicking out 23sq.ft of storage (vs 18 on the triangular CS vests). Plus, a shit zipper irritates the life out of me so I'm glad to hear the Dagger's just might keep me above ground.

No doubt the CS has earned its rep, but I think I made the right call and I'm glad you agree.

Thanks again everyone for the time and interest. I'd still be chasing my tail if I didn't reach out to you Roksliders. Good group of humans on here.

akrdkill

WKR
no experience here with the Nemo tents but every time I look at how there fly's don't come down low It seems like rain/dust intrusion to me when theres wind.....anyone have experience?

Akicita

WKR
no experience here with the Nemo tents but every time I look at how there fly's don't come down low It seems like rain/dust intrusion to me when theres wind.....anyone have experience?

The Dagger is my wife's slack season solo and two person tent and I have spent a few heavy weather nights in with her. The high tub of 30D makes this a non-issue for us, and on the contrary adds to the ventilation and circulation during the warmer weather when she typically uses it. I like a full fly for cold weather but I don't mind a fly that does not reach the ground as long as the tub is high enough to extend past the lower edge of the fly.

6Bbcg91.jpg