Feeding Areas in Drier Mountains

UTJL

Lil-Rokslider
I’m escouting a unit in one of the drier states and I’m struggling to find feeding areas. The unit is mostly 8,000 to 11,000 ft, and is fairly open but has timbered slopes and aspen patches. From online photos of the area I can see there are some grassy meadows. However when I look on Google Earth, Onx, Gaia and GOHUNT I can’t find green meadows in any of the satellite images throughout the years. The openings are consistently brown and show some sage brush. Has anyone encountered this before? At this point I’m stumped.

I’m putting boots on the ground in June, but hoping to narrow my focus areas beforehand.

Sled

WKR
What time of the year is the imagery from? Lots of green spring Meadows look brown by August in dry climates. Also elevation plays a factor.

It is surprising to not see green at least once when going back through the old imagery but
Elk eat yellow grass all the time
The shaded edges of those meadows are probably green
Along any creek or water source is probably green
Where the last snow melted is probably green
Bet it will look a lot better in person

OP
U

UTJL

Lil-Rokslider
It is surprising to not see green at least once when going back through the old imagery but
Elk eat yellow grass all the time
The shaded edges of those meadows are probably green
Along any creek or water source is probably green
Where the last snow melted is probably green
Bet it will look a lot better in person

Thanks for the advice. So far I’ve gathered images from June, October and December from multiple years with no luck. I think focusing on flat/gentle creek bottoms and meadow edges is what I’ll have to do. The bright side is if I can find some lush areas I’m sure they’ll hold elk.

Sled

WKR
Thanks for the advice. So far I’ve gathered images from June, October and December from multiple years with no luck. I think focusing on flat/gentle creek bottoms and meadow edges is what I’ll have to do. The bright side is if I can find some lush areas I’m sure they’ll hold elk.

Just remember it's a whole package. They'll need security too. They can feed on about anything but have preferences. If you're finding healthy Aspen then there is food and likely some kind of water nearby.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Multiple times I have seen elk slow feeding on what looks like the driest most inedible grass.

Boots on the ground scouting in a new area is the most important thing you can do in my opinion.

OP
U

UTJL

Lil-Rokslider
Multiple times I have seen elk slow feeding on what looks like the driest most inedible grass.

Boots on the ground scouting in a new area is the most important thing you can do in my opinion.
Was that early or late season? I’m just curious and will be hunting in early September.