Feeding dogs wild game

Ucsdryder

WKR
Who feeds their dogs wild game? Deer? Elk? Etc?

Do you feed them the scraps from the trims, like fat, sinew, dirty meat?

Do you feed them the quality, usable meat?

This year I butchered 3 elk, 2 deer and an antelope. I threw away 100-200 pounds of scrap. I wish I would have saved it for the dog! I finally saved some off the last deer. I put them in individual sandwich bags and froze them. She goes crazy when I get out a bag.

slick

WKR
Yep. Always have saved scraps, and if I can the liver and/or femurs.

Grind it all up and give them a generous dollop on top of their kibble or just feed them chunks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CoHiCntry

WKR
I don't feed the scraps usually but when the meat starts getting old in the freezer, I'll clean it out and feed it to the dogs.

87TT

WKR
I thought you meant sharing your dinner. Which I do. She also gets the leg bones and some scraps in measured doses.

280Ackley

WKR
I save all my scraps throughout the year and then grind it up after the season. My old dog couldn’t handle it raw gave him the screams so I would cook it up outside with rice. My new bird dog loves it raw and won’t touch store bought food if she has the choice!

bsnedeker

WKR
I gotta say it really chaps my ass when people feed their dogs good wild game meat. I give my dogs scraps and bones but to kill an animal and give it to dogs just seems really disrespectful to me. That said, I struggle finding any real justification for why I feel that way so I can't really argue with folks that do it.

UtahJimmy

WKR
Mine gets raw meat/scraps as I'm trimming but I'll dehydrate the trim piles for dry treats once I'm finished processing. I also dehydrate the livers for him.

He LOVES processing days!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

OP
Ucsdryder

Ucsdryder

WKR
Mine gets raw meat/scraps as I'm trimming but I'll dehydrate the trim piles for dry treats once I'm finished processing. I also dehydrate the livers for him.

He LOVES processing days!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
My dog as well. She stands as close as she possibly can get to me. I guess she’s reminding me she’s there and waiting...patiently.

T.R.

FNG
Our dogs eat wild game scraps from processing every time. We have guardian dogs too and they'll take the drag the deer legs off into a pasture and eat them. One of our family members takes the time to dehydrate wild game and chicken fillets for treats.

Wapiti1

WKR
Ours gets treats made of ground burger. I don't produce much scrap. Scrap, to me, is inedible like silver skin, tendons, and ruined meat. None of those go to the dog or the people. Very little meat ends up in the scrap bin.

We mix it and dry it like jerky. She loves them. Mix in some oats, rice and molasses. I'd eat them, but the dog would get mad at me.

Jeremy

OP
Ucsdryder

Ucsdryder

WKR
Ours gets treats made of ground burger. I don't produce much scrap. Scrap, to me, is inedible like silver skin, tendons, and ruined meat. None of those go to the dog or the people. Very little meat ends up in the scrap bin.

We mix it and dry it like jerky. She loves them. Mix in some oats, rice and molasses. I'd eat them, but the dog would get mad at me.

Jeremy
I figure if the wolves and coyotes eat the fat and sinew then it’s ok for my dog too. She doesn’t seem to mind.

I grind scraps and mix in some veggies from the garden and freeze them in freezer bags. I try to bring the liver home when I can. The leg bones keep them occupied for a few days.

echampion8

Lil-Rokslider
I feed my English Springer Spaniel the trimmings from whitetail and wild hog. He loves it. I also will take solid fat from the hog and cut it into strips as treats. It makes his coat really shiny and super soft.

CBreeze

FNG
Hahaha. I love this thread. My sister lives in Durango and on my way back from Idaho and Wyoming this year I stopped off to take a look at the second and 3rd rifle situation. Which match’s the descriptions you read. Anyway, my sister has a border terrier who hunts rats in contests where the rat is in a little cage or something to where the dog can’t get him. She wanted him killingnrats in the barn so she put him and a pet store rat in a atall and he went found him and then Started trying to get him to play. Now you know about twizzle the millennial terrier. Fast forward 2 years. Her “hired hand” / live in has a little tiny Yorkie that his ex ditched along with him. I show up with a jeep full of meat bags full of meat ready to cut and she lets me take over the kitchen island and I do my work. Twizzle at this point goes and hides under the toilet for the next two days while tiny little rocket the yorkie less than half his size actually climbed into the contractor bag I was using for the scraps at one point. He was like- “so... this hunting thing happens every year????” Pretty sure he ate his wait in silver skin.

my dogs don’t bother me when I have grocery store meat I’m opening but they sure as hell are all upon me while I’m working with game. They eat a lot of trim all winter

Last edited:
The dogs have always gotten scraps from game and also fish (skin primarily). I started giving some to my kids cat (ok, my cat too) and that sucker has a nose like no other. He’ll wake up from a dead sleep if I’ve been around fish. He’s a bigger pain in the ass begger than the dog now!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk