Feeding

Mike 338

WKR
So what are you feeding your horses in the high country? Pack in hay early, alfalfa cubes, meadow graze...?

wyosteve

WKR
My mules hate the cubes too, but when it's cubes or nothing, they chew them down. No, I don't soak them, but make sure they have plenty of water available.

PNWGATOR

WKR
Compressed, certified weed free seed free alfalfa and senior feed is what we used a couple seasons ago. That’s in addition to time grazing in a portable hotwire. Need to try packers pellets or cubes at some point. Need to figure something out for the late season when grass is gone.

rayporter

WKR
I take a bag of compressed pellets and an electric fence to let them graze. the pellets don't last long unless I load one up with nothing but feed. but it will sure keep them close when they hear that nose bag come out. I highly recommend a nose bag-- there is no waste with one. but you must never leave them when they have one on. if they can get to water they will almost always get a drink with the bag on. they can drown or inhale feed if they get the bag in water.

the big cubes take some getting used to and frequently you have to soak them.

a couple reels of fence on a ski rope winders will give me 2 wires that cover about an acre. I don't carry stakes or posts.

whatever you choose have them on it for more than a month before you leave. if you use a fence make sure they are used to it- the way it will be used in the hi country. the grass will be a big enough change in their diet that you must take care. the trip alone can be stressful enough if you have any distance to go.

worm them before you leave! and carry some banamine, just in case.

OP
M

Mike 338

WKR
Funny, I've never seen enough grass to graze a goat. I was thinking I could take some feed in early and wrap them in tarps. Anyone try that?

rayporter

WKR
i have not but I have seen a few bales packed in by others. if you wrap each bale [manty] it will keep dry.

my thought is you will get more nutrition out of the cubes and pellets for each lb packed in.
so it goes farther.

corn has the most carbs and therefore the most energy. you could mix it with something for bulk in the diet.

Anyone ever pack in sweet cob? I normally don’t feed it at home because once and a while it’ll make a horse a little hot but packing they’ll need all the energy they can get. The way I figure it corn+molasses=sugar=glucose=energy. I reckon a guy would wanna box it up right at camp as the sweet smell could attract a curious little black bear haha

Yes it will attract bears and squirrels, mice etc. Someone earlier asked about storing it, you would be lucky not to find it strewn all over by a bear if it is not hung in a tree, also the mice and other critters will be into it. I graze alot , hobbles, and or electric fence depending on the area. I also bring rolled corn for energy and pellets for roughage so I dont have to graze so long., be careful with the pellets and make sure they are not too big. Our vet says judging by the number of choke cases you see he would not feed cubes without soaking them.

Usually put a couple in an electric fence and turn the rest loose with hobbles. Sometimes I'll picket one or two of the leaders by a front foot and turn the rest loose. I'll also pack some grain cubes to supplement and make them easier to catch.

How much feed is every packing in depending on if they are able to graze or not? Personally I don’t take any if I know there is enough grass in the area but I might tend to take a bit much in country I’m not as familiar with. I’ve hear a lot of different things from almost everyone I’ve talked too.