“Feelers” classified posts

SteepandDeep

Lil-Rokslider
Not just here but it seems the past few years people put that in their ads. They say they’re just trying to check interest in something they’re “thinking of selling”.

My thoughts: trying to get impulse buyers to bite before it’s “for sale”?

I’m not talking scammers; senior members on this and other boards.

Anyone else notice that and maybe why?

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
I think it’s them trying to get top dollar for what they have for sale since they don’t “need” to sell it.

It’s a weird deal to me too. Nobody cares what you “don’t” have for sale haha.

NME

FNG
I think it’s ok it’s just wording so to say. If I see it and I want it for whatever price your selling it and you say no or never mind or I just wanted to see if there was interest, then that’s not cool.

I think if it’s on the classifieds then it’s for sale. You can take it down but if it’s on there then it should be for sale or trade. Just to gauge interest though isn’t cool in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EastMT

WKR
I think people are looking for an auction type listing when they do that. For clarification we require people to have a price for an item to list here.

Ooohhhh, not a bad idea! My next sale is gonna be a RS auction listing. Just post up your offer, highest wins after 10 days

Yeah I think it’s the equivalent of the pickers when he says what’s your crazy number. It’s a “I don’t really want to sell it unless someone wants it real bad” fishing expedition.

People also ask what’s a fair price. Well, gunbroker is a good place to start, but rarely will something sell for the same as at an auction. Start in the ball park, see what happens.

Heck I looked the other day and Rem 7600’s are going for $900-1000 now. You put one up here for that you are gonna get trolled haha.

def90

WKR
Doing something like that in the marketplace section on some of the gun forums I belong to would get you banned. Either something is for sale or it’s not.

Asking for an opinion of an items value in a general discussion area is a different matter.

Whenever I see that I usually just back out.
If its a current production item then most likely I can just go buy it for there price.

Only time its applicable is if it is an actually rare and desired item and there hoping for an offer to push them over the edge on selling.

In general I think its a garbage tactic.
Just post your ridiculous price and lower it until you get to your minimum.

Ohh but then you might miss out on that one guy that jumps on it. And you lay on your death bed wondering if he would of payed more.

rayporter

WKR
a tacky game and i pass over with out reading them.

the last price drop is also a laugh. if i am dropping the price i like to let it be known i will drop the price until i get a sale. then you can decide how long to gamble on someone getting it before you.

CorbLand

WKR
I have never seen a forum that complains about how sellers act in a free market more than this one.

If someone lists something and you think the price is to high, are not interested or dont like the wording the seller uses...move on. Nobody is putting a gun to your head and forcing you to buy something. I have bought and sold on the internet for 15 years. Sometimes you need money, so you price things lower. Sometimes you dont, so you price them higher.

Posting feeler ads is nothing more than saying "hey, I have this and dont really use it. If someone wants it and the price is right, I am willing to sell it." Everything is for sale for the right price.

Last edited:

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have never seen a forum that complains about how sellers act in a free market more than this one.

If someone lists something and you think the price is to high, are not interested or dont like the wording the seller uses...move on. Nobody is putting a gun to your head and forcing you to buy something. I have bought and sold on the internet for 15 years. Sometimes you need money, so you price things lower. Sometimes you dont, so you price them higher.

Posting feeler adds is nothing more than saying "hey, I have this and dont really use it. If someone wants it and the price is right, I am willing to sell it." Everything is for sale for the right price.
Rules state you must list a price so it's really a non issue, except they didn't bother to read them and I have to delete thier thread. Maybe everyone should get a vacation when they fail to follow a couple simple instructions.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Nosferatu

Lil-Rokslider
I see it more in the automotive related forums.

Lots of people who's wives keep complaining about stubbing their toe in the garage on the old rims to a vehicle they haven't owned in 15 years, but have kept on hand "just in case".

And teenagers who's parents bought them a new $50k+ truck, but they "think" they want the brand-new one that just came out and could totally swing the payments from their part-time Burgershack job if they could just sell their "old" truck for 20% over book value.

rob86jeep

WKR
Usually the same people that post "last drop, I'll keep it if it doesn't sell." Give it a week or so and you'll usually see it lower. Once people get it in their mind to sell (or buy) something, it's usually gonna happen regardless if of the price.