Fees and Taxes

Alaska is a state with relatively little fees and taxes.
  • Only 9 cities located outside of boroughs (like counties) levy a property tax; therefore, only 24 municipalities in Alaska (either cities or boroughs) levy a property tax.
  • The average per-capita property tax paid in all municipalities, excluding oil and gas properties, was $1,435.
  • There is a exemption if you have to pay property tax, from the first $150,000 of assessed value for all senior citizens (65 years of age and over) and disabled veterans (50% or more service connected disability).
  • There is no state income tax.
  • There is no state sales tax.
  • Free hunting/fishing/trapping license to residents over 59 years of age.
  • Free over-the-counter tags for most big game such as Dall sheep, grizzly bear, moose, caribou, goat, Sitka blacktails, black bears, etc.
  • For vehicles over 8 years of age, no annual registration fees...just a one-time permanent registration.
  • No annual vehicle inspections.
  • No state fees or license requirements on firearms...either open carry or concealed.
Every member of the family received an annual Permanent Fund Dividend check.
This year each check will be $2,300.

New York state

Red State with Blue govt.
Taxed at every opportunity....8% sales tax in my county
$10,000 school and property tax on my house $350k
Vehicles/trailers/atv/snowmobile/boat all must be registered.
Takes an act of congress to get a pistol permit.
6.3% state income tax

I'm sure there's more but it just pisses me off thinking about it.....

GSPHUNTER

WKR
Cal. has a 75 billion $$$$ surplus because they tax the crap out of everything. Like Reagan said, if it moves tax it. If it keeps moving regulate it. Except Cal. taxes it again if it keeps moving, then taxes it again. The state is giving away my tax money to people who get Covid vaccine. There is a proposal to pay landlords for lost income due to covid and use my money to do it.

Broomd

WKR
Alaska is a state with relatively little fees and taxes.
  • Only 9 cities located outside of boroughs (like counties) levy a property tax; therefore, only 24 municipalities in Alaska (either cities or boroughs) levy a property tax.
  • The average per-capita property tax paid in all municipalities, excluding oil and gas properties, was $1,435.
  • There is a exemption if you have to pay property tax, from the first $150,000 of assessed value for all senior citizens (65 years of age and over) and disabled veterans (50% or more service connected disability).
  • There is no state income tax.
  • There is no state sales tax.
  • Free hunting/fishing/trapping license to residents over 59 years of age.
  • Free over-the-counter tags for most big game such as Dall sheep, grizzly bear, moose, caribou, goat, Sitka blacktails, black bears, etc.
  • For vehicles over 8 years of age, no annual registration fees...just a one-time permanent registration.
  • No annual vehicle inspections.
  • No state fees or license requirements on firearms...either open carry or concealed.
Every member of the family received an annual Permanent Fund Dividend check.
This year each check will be $2,300.
Lived there a long time.
Perks? Yes, but the misery factor can be off the charts, too.
No free lunch anywhere. There is a reason Alaska has so few residents.

OP
AK_Skeeter
Lived there a long time.
Perks? Yes, but the misery factor can be off the charts, too.
No free lunch anywhere. There is a reason Alaska has so few residents.
I moved up from Moscow, ID 30 years ago.
As a recent retiree, the low taxes and great hunting/fishing have kept us here rather than moving.

I like the long season starting Aug 10 for Sheep/Caribou and for me ending in late Nov. for deer.
I like interior Alaska...Fairbanks is big enough that it has the box stores, good hospital, etc.
They do not use salt on the roads so vehicles last .... the snow is sugar snow so the winter driving is typically not bad.
Having an international airport in Fairbanks helps.
We live in a rural, forested neighborhood with 2-20 acre parcels and very friendly neighbors.
Cost of living is not bad for us because we hunt/fish/garden, heat with firewood, and are do-it-yourself types.
One of our biggest cost is flying to visit family and friends in the lower-48.
Three things that I don't like about living here:
1) It takes > 12 hours to fly to family in Virginia
2) Mosquitoes
3) Short days (~4 hours) of December

Got to love winter and sugar snow to last up here....
The warm dry summers are a nice feature also..
TenDayForecast.JPG

In WV, I pay decent property taxes. Not too high. Certainly not too low. But80% of my local property tax goes to the school levy. Which is way over budget.

my state taxes are excessive. 6% on non health food. 3-4% on stable type foods. 55.3 cents on gas. Toll roads. Etc…. Federal taxes are insane as well.

I’ve got to figure out how to quadruple charge for my money. Like government does. I’ll be a rich man then.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
Most states don't tax groceries but tax prepared food bought at the grocery store. if your store has a deli and you order a sandwich that would be taxable. Maybe not all states but most.

Broomd

WKR
I moved up from Moscow, ID 30 years ago.
As a recent retiree, the low taxes and great hunting/fishing have kept us here rather than moving.

I like the long season starting Aug 10 for Sheep/Caribou and for me ending in late Nov. for deer.
I like interior Alaska...Fairbanks is big enough that it has the box stores, good hospital, etc.
They do not use salt on the roads so vehicles last .... the snow is sugar snow so the winter driving is typically not bad.
Having an international airport in Fairbanks helps.
We live in a rural, forested neighborhood with 2-20 acre parcels and very friendly neighbors.
Cost of living is not bad for us because we hunt/fish/garden, heat with firewood, and are do-it-yourself types.
One of our biggest cost is flying to visit family and friends in the lower-48.
Three things that I don't like about living here:
1) It takes > 12 hours to fly to family in Virginia
2) Mosquitoes
3) Short days (~4 hours) of December

Got to love winter and sugar snow to last up here....
The warm dry summers are a nice feature also..
View attachment 301883
Been there, done that. All of it.
If you're happy - excellent, that's what matters.
Honestly, we do all the those things you mentioned --but here in remote Idaho, and the misery factor is decreased by a factor of 10. We're glad to be from Alaska.

We could never raise our highlander livestock there, too cold and....we love elk meat. Killing elk and deer on one's own place is a priceless perk.

Enjoy the Summer there!

Wow, Alaska sounds like a dream in terms of taxes and perks! It's refreshing to hear about places with such lenient tax policies. Reminds me of a time when I stumbled upon the concept of mega backdoor Roth IRA

Yoder

WKR
Cal. has a 75 billion $$$$ surplus because they tax the crap out of everything. Like Reagan said, if it moves tax it. If it keeps moving regulate it. Except Cal. taxes it again if it keeps moving, then taxes it again. The state is giving away my tax money to people who get Covid vaccine. There is a proposal to pay landlords for lost income due to covid and use my money to do it.
Having a "surplus" is a lie. If your business was running at a $100k deficit and your budget was a $200k deficit then you have a $100k "surplus". Your still losing $100k per year. That's how politicians claim a surplus. Bill Clinton did the same thing as President.