Feet ACHE! But fit seems fine. Lowa Camino GTX

Threw on my Lowa Camino GTX for WA opener. Haven't worn them in a while. Since last fall. Probably did 6-7 miles just on locked gate, hard packed road. My feet HURT. These are boots I've had for years. As I was pounding out mileage back to the gate, I recall my feet ache every time I use them.

Ever do a bar crawl in a pair of clapped out, $7 Flip Flops, get shithoused and walk to some joint that sells garbage at 0300 that you for sure shouldn't eat, then walk home and wake up with feet that scream "WTF did we do last night"?

Im 48 and my ankles and joints squeak. Stuff always hurts the next day. Part of life.

The fit on these boots is fine...I think. Toes don't rub. No blisters. No hot spots. Just the ENTIRE foot aches. I don't think boots are supposed to feel "Cushion" like a running shoe...but these felt like I was walking barefoot on cement all day.

Is that my feet not being "in shape" for boots and hardback? Or is that my feet telling me "Bro...there are better options out there for us"?

I wear La Sportiva or Salmon running/hiking shoes most of the time/all summer. Danner Acadias at work, but I am desk bound and not pounding out miles at this stage in my career.

Do I need to get some Cam Haynes "Fat Bob" Under Armor boots and a Keep Hammering flat brim?

RCB

WKR
I have a pair of Lowa Caminos. After some hikes I recall noticing some slight bruising on the soles of my feet the following day. I’m pretty sure that is due to the boot’s hard midsole and not enough cushion in the insole. I suspect replacing the insole with a cushy aftermarket option would solve the problem, though I haven’t gotten around to it yet. I’ve seen lots of folks here mention that Lowa insoles aren’t good.

Just bought a pair last week. Id say insole as well. Havent started researching which ones yet. Any opinions from the gallery?

If you got the right size then you should have no problem, but you do and that's why we are having this conversation. you should give me a call or something and lay some complains.

wapitibob

WKR
I found Lathrop gel insoles to be about the best low volume insoles. Dr Scholes athletic gel insoles were good too but a bit thicker/greater volume than the Lathrop. Sole and Superfeet were too hard/slick and created hot spots on toes.

OP
J
FWIW....I looked at the Lowa site. There are only 2 reviews of the Camino GTX. Both gave 1 star and both claimed a very very similar experience. Foot Ache/Pain, no cushioning, and heel bruising. Think both users swapped to tennis shoes. That mirrors how my feet felt.

I tried to be cool years ago and added blue Superfeet insoles to the above Danner Acadias. Used them daily for over a year. At the end....I was REALLY jacked up. Back, knees, ankles and hips. They were NOT the insoles for me. Hard to believe that just changing insoles set off such a chain reaction to how I walked and stood.

Phaseolus

WKR
I have custom insoles in my Camino’s. I love the boots Both backpacking and carrying out meat loads. I have custom insoles because I’ve had plantar fasciitus problems. I tried superfeet a couple of different times. The position of the arch does not match my arch so they are not good.

Dhbwa

WKR
Thanks Jesse...now I don’t feel bad. I knew I was going to have the same problem so I added Dr. Scholl gel insole (can’t remember the model) under the factory insole. Helped but part of the issue could be that our feet just aren’t boot and hiking ready....

Bbell12

WKR
Resurrecting this thread because of the same problems I have with my Camino's.

I really want to love these boots but every time I put them on they hurt my feet. Not only do they feel like walking barefooted on concrete all day as others have mentioned but it also feels like the insole is pushing my right foot towards the front of the boot constantly. Does anyone else have this problem?

Also, any recommendations on how to go about finding insoles that fit your foot?

And before you ask, I know they are sized right and I have plenty of toe room. My left foot never feels like it "slips" forward, only my right.

RCB

WKR
Resurrecting this thread because of the same problems I have with my Camino's.

I really want to love these boots but every time I put them on they hurt my feet. Not only do they feel like walking barefooted on concrete all day as others have mentioned but it also feels like the insole is pushing my right foot towards the front of the boot constantly. Does anyone else have this problem?

Also, any recommendations on how to go about finding insoles that fit your foot?

And before you ask, I know they are sized right and I have plenty of toe room. My left foot never feels like it "slips" forward, only my right.
I've pretty much decided that I don't want anything to do with heavy, stiff-soled boots. So I've given up on the Camino and anything stiffer. I've hunted pretty much exclusively in lighter hiking boots and I can't remember ever thinking I needed "more boot". I read about the kinds of boots guys buy here on Rokslide and can't help but wonder if these guys exclusively hunt scree and boulder fields.

If you don't feel the same way, my only recommendation is to shop around for thick, cushioned insoles. Sorry I can't be of more help.

Last edited:

Bbell12

WKR
I agree it's too stiff for my uses too. Thanks for the advice and hopefully some new insoles will hold me over for a while since I don't want to spend any more money on boots.

twdjr

WKR
I really like my Camino's, but do agree the Lowa insoles aren't worth a darn. I replaced mine from the beginning.