Fenix 5X accuracy

I got a Garmin Fenix 5x for Christmas and am having trouble believing the numbers on most statistics.

I asked about the altimeter a couple days after getting it since I live at sea level and it said I was at over 200ft elevation. Someone gave me the directions on how to correct it and I did then within days I am back at over 100 ft.

Next I had a fit bit with HR and it seemed much more accurate. Most days according to the Garmin it says I am burning more that 4000 calories even on days that I was mostly sedentary. I apparently have to get directions on their site and manually start a hike or bike ride to record it while the Fitbit picked it up. It seems odd that I have to have the UA Myfitnesspal app to track calories. It also seems odd because I am trying to track my calories and macro's but it doesn't show my actual calories burned without doing the math because it adds additional calories I can eat due to active minutes which leads to another issue where it says I have for this week 795 Intensity Minutes which is 532% of my 150 Minute goal. If this is right then why am I over 277lbs and how long would it take to lose weight at their 150 Minutes?

On the Fitbit it says my VO2 max is good for my age and the Garmin says I am in the bottom 20% and there is no explanation when you click on the help button to actually get a real explanation.

Then I wanted this watch over another Fitbit so I could have the maps but the manual provided doesn't have any explanation on how to use them and the watch is not intuitive at all.

Sorry for the rant but I am very frustrated especially after all the great things I read about these watches.

Where can I go and get some instruction on how to use this thing?

Thanks in advance!

Phaseolus

WKR
Aneroid altimeters will alway vary because they react to atmospheric pressure. You will have to use known altitudes to frequently correct it.

You need to check out YouTube videos or read the actual manual. Reddit Garmin or reddit fenix is also a good resource. VO2 max will take a bit to calibrate if you haven’t done many activities yet.

OP
F
You need to check out YouTube videos or read the actual manual. Reddit Garmin or reddit fenix is also a good resource. VO2 max will take a bit to calibrate if you haven’t done many activities yet.

I have done about 10 hours of exercise just this week. For the VO2 max.

I will look up the videos and I read the manual that came with the watch and there is virtually no information in it. That’s what lead to my op.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have done about 10 hours of exercise just this week. For the VO2 max.

I will look up the videos and I read the manual that came with the watch and there is virtually no information in it. That’s what lead to my op.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I’d poke around the Garmin and/fenix subreddit on reddit. Not a reddit guy but ran across it when I was looking into the garmins. I’m not a power user but know enough to navigate and use it for exercise.

OP
F
I’d poke around the Garmin and/fenix subreddit on reddit. Not a reddit guy but ran across it when I was looking into the garmins. I’m not a power user but know enough to navigate and use it for exercise.
I want it to track and map my hikes, my spin class, treadmill and kettlebell workouts. Also track my calories and macro's.

I've had my 5x for about 2 years. I got mine because I am a runner and triathlete and also use the nav functions for hunting. Accuracy for most things is pretty good. The altimeter . . meh. Not so much. We have a small ranch-style house and I usually hit my step goal by 8:00am. LOL! Wrist-based heart rate is just okay in any device. It is not a good way to measure heart rate. Check out DC Rainmaker's articles about the 5x and wrist-based heart rate. He is the defacto standard for information on any of the wearable tech.

OP
F
T
I've had my 5x for about 2 years. I got mine because I am a runner and triathlete and also use the nav functions for hunting. Accuracy for most things is pretty good. The altimeter . . meh. Not so much. We have a small ranch-style house and I usually hit my step goal by 8:00am. LOL! Wrist-based heart rate is just okay in any device. It is not a good way to measure heart rate. Check out DC Rainmaker's articles about the 5x and wrist-based heart rate. He is the defacto standard for information on any of the wearable tech.
Thanks I will check it out.