Fenn's Treasure

dtrkyman

WKR
well now I guess I have to be a treasure hunter. great excuse to hike New Mexico some more.

Grumman

WKR
Congrats to someone out there. My wife and kids had been studying this and they had planned a vacation around it in July. They are major let down now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

come2elmo

WKR
Yea I had never even heard of it until we went to Durango last summer and my brother Told me about it. He gave me a couple of places to look neat ouray. Poked around some but sadly I am not the guy in the post. Will be interesting to see where it was.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
After reading that poem 2 years ago I figured unit 57 was a good logical choice as all the clues fit, but never bothered searching for it.

fmyth

WKR
If you want hunt for treasure there's still the Lost Dutchman's Gold somewhere in the Superstition Mountains here in AZ. It is 107 degrees right now so better plan for a Dec-March adventure. We lose a few treasure hunters to heat stroke or exposure out here each year.

I just read a press release stating that the Treasure Hunter that supposedly located Fenn's treasure does not want to be identified or reveal the location. Hmmm. Until those pieces of info are divulged, I'm inclined to think two things.

1) The treasure never existed in the first place and Fenn fabricated this supposed lucky hunter to claim the treasure has been found so people stop looking and doing stupid shit on public land in the process.

2) Fenn retrieved it himself after tiring of bad press from the deaths, and getting death threats himself. There were also idiots trying to break into his house to find clues and threatening to kidnap his family members. That nonsense would get old quick so I wouldn't blame him for that, but....

...The whole Fenn Treasure thing has seemed fishy from the beginning.

I don't buy that it was found. I'm still not even certain it was placed, but if so, I seriously don't believe that it was found. I agree with the above theory of NickoftheWoods'

come2elmo

WKR
I am a different kind of cynical. Finder is waiting for history channel or nat geo to show up so they can get another Payout and book royalties. Maybe a hgtv episode about how they decorated their new cargo van with the loot. Oh and dancing with the stars. Whatever that is. 🤤

Beendare

WKR
I've hunted in a few southern CO units...and one northern NM unit for elk....and FWIW, there were shops in all of those units selling maps to Fenns treasure claiming its local.

Seems to me it can't be in all of those units?

__

If I had found it I would want to main completely anonymous also... I would like to see some proof that it ever existed in the first place though

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Maybe the person who found it dosent want the IRS to know about it. That way you could sell it off bit by bit.

3forks

WKR
Maybe the person who found it dosent want the IRS to know about it. That way you could sell it off bit by bit.
I read that found treasure is taxable. I suppose if the treasure ever existed or was found - coughing up a chunk to the IRS is as good a reason as any to want to remain anonymous.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I read that found treasure is taxable. I suppose if the treasure ever existed or was found - coughing up a chunk to the IRS is as good a reason as any to want to remain anonymous.

yea it’s taxable and I have a feeling the contents of that treasure chest are worth a lot more than people realize, according to Fenn (if true) there are several pounds of gold figurines from ancient Roman antiquity. I suppose unless those were assessed, the IRS might probably just value them and tax them at the value of the gold in weight.

All of that to say, if it were me, I’d be very careful with it until I had an actual plan or some knowledge of what I’d gotten myself into. I don’t think it’s quite as simple as “I found lost treasure, I’m rich now”.