Ferry to Newfoundland

Which ferry do you take, which port, & when ?
I'm planning for 2019.
2 nights before the hunt ?

I'm driving up through Maine, and then ?????

Speedbump

FNG
My preference is to take the "midnight" ferry from N Sydney Nova Scotia to Port au Basques NL. Highly recommend reserving a cabin as it buys you privacy, with a toilet & shower. Get your reservation as soon as their schedule permits.
The cabin is not a whole lot more expensive than the cheapest general lounge ticket.
It is a great idea to take the ferry a couple days early, even more so if you are on a fly in hunt. It is not the outfitters fault if you miss your fly out due to a cancelled ferry.
Pretty much the same schedule and advice for the return trip.
Rooms near the port were reasonable priced.
On the last hunt, we got rained in for an extra day, so lost our cabin reservation traveling in the general lounge using a recliner. While not horrible, it made for a poor nights rest.
Been there twice, and hope I have another left in me!
Good hunting!

Rs3003

WKR
We crossed at Cailas ME. Then I think it was 10 hours to N. Sydney NS. Then everything SPEEDBUMP said. Stop at the Canada border and declare your firearms. Ask about a Meat inspector being there for the return trip. Good luck. What outfitter are you going with.

Trial153

WKR
I just made our reservation 10 minutes ago.

Take the over night, get a cabin or at least the reservation for recliners. The price is per cabin no per person so it’s not too bad.
Get there early, line up ...park the truck and then go eat. There is a decent restaurant overlooking the terminal. With your back to the port it will be on your right on the hill. Get the cod tongue.
Don’t be afraid to try to change your reservations if you can get on an earlier ferry for the return trip. They make changes all the time.

generally I use my cc for everything. One place that may not work is if you need a meat processor. They are excellent for not do exchange rates...I would keep Canadian dollars for that on hand.
We will just load all our meat in coolers and head home.

OP
Short Track
Season opens on the 16th. So I made the ferry for the night of the 14th, 11:45 pm.
Does that sound right ? Finish the drive on the 15th. Then relax for 1/2 day ??

I haven't figured out the return yet. What if I tag out early ? I will have it butchered & frozen...

Trial153

WKR
Season opens on the 16th. So I made the ferry for the night of the 14th, 11:45 pm.
Does that sound right ? Finish the drive on the 15th. Then relax for 1/2 day ??

I haven't figured out the return yet. What if I tag out early ? I will have it butchered & frozen...
Sounds like your hunting a drive in area? If so you should be fine with that arrangement. If the ferry delays due to weather you can just get in later.
If you were flying into camp I would think youd need a full day leeway.

Book your return assuming youd be hunting to the end and driving out after. Of you tag out early and want to head home just call them and they we change your itinerary providing there is room on the next ferry. They are great about switching reservations up. Happens every day.

OP
Short Track
It is indeed a drive in area. It's a crazy drive though from down state NY. 16 hours to the ferry. The ferry, then another 5 hours.. So 3 days driving each direction. Plus a 5-6 day hunt.

At this point... I should consider flying. But I have a lot (too much) gear.

Trial153

WKR
It is indeed a drive in area. It's a crazy drive though from down state NY. 16 hours to the ferry. The ferry, then another 5 hours.. So 3 days driving each direction. Plus a 5-6 day hunt.

At this point... I should consider flying. But I have a lot (too much) gear.
Takes me about about 17 hours with stops to go from just a bit south of Albany to the ferry. I leave at mid night so I have some extra time for the boader crossing ect.

We leave from neat deer lake , so about 3 hours drive from ferry. It's an adventure for sure

OP
Short Track
That is true. 16 hours of actual drive time. Plus all the stops, & boarder crossing. Looking at 20 hours at least.... if all goes well. I'm looking for a driving partner... not easy to find someone with Moose money.

Trial153

WKR
That is true. 16 hours of actual drive time. Plus all the stops, & boarder crossing. Looking at 20 hours at least.... if all goes well. I'm looking for a driving partner... not easy to find someone with Moose money.

For sure. Except for taking my father with me on my last NF hunt I think all but on trip to the rock has been alone. It s great trip and more guys from the Northeast should make it happen for them. You will see plenty of trucks with hunters on the ferry line, trailers and freezers. PA seems to the most well represented of the states.

The southern boarder crossing at Calais is pretty much empty every time I have gone trough it. it maybe worth considering that in your route.

PA Hunter

WKR
I drive every other year up there I use the midnight ferry North Sydney to Port Aux Basques. I try and reserve a cabin about 8 months out, I drive to Deer Lake then stay one night meet outfitters and drive in their truck not to ruin mine on back roads. It’s a big party waiting in line for the ferry. You will have fun I love it up there.

nanuke22

FNG
I am also going up this year, booked first week of October, bowhunting. It looks like you guys are booking your ferry rides early, do they fill up that quickly?

Trial153

WKR
I am also going up this year, booked first week of October, bowhunting. It looks like you guys are booking your ferry rides early, do they fill up that quickly?
Yes and no. Cabins and reservation seating gets booked up quick. Otherwise not really.
I wouldnt wait of you looking for cabin.

I will be bowhunting as well, great place to bow hunt!

nanuke22

FNG
Trying to figure out my trip, driving up from NJ, how long before ship off should I arrive to the port to board? My map said to go through Houlton , but I see Calitian is closer, how is the ride from there to North Sydney ?

nanuke22

FNG
Yes and no. Cabins and reservation seating gets booked up quick. Otherwise not really.
I wouldnt wait of you looking for cabin.

I will be bowhunting as well, great place to bow hunt!
I want a cabin so I am going to book this week.. Approximately how much$ ?Did you book your way home too?

Trial153

WKR
I want a cabin so I am going to book this week.. Approximately how much$ ?Did you book your way home too?
People will be lined up from 4 hours to 4 minutes before departure time. Figure on a couple hours.
Leave plenty of time for your boarder crossing. That can be a time suck.

A two person cabin is 145 Ca. I booked both ferry's. Total for one truck and the two of us was 525 American for both trips with cabins..

I like to avoid the I95 crossing as it gets busy. I found the crossing in Calais being decent. Its usually fairly empty especially in the morning when we go.

nanuke22

FNG
People will be lined up from 4 hours to 4 minutes before departure time. Figure on a couple hours.
Leave plenty of time for your boarder crossing. That can be a time suck.

A two person cabin is 145 Ca. I booked both ferry's. Total for one truck and the two of us was 525 American for both trips with cabins..

I like to avoid the I95 crossing as it gets busy. I found the crossing in Calais being decent. Its usually fairly empty especially in the morning when we go.
Thank you for the information, if you got anything else you want to share I am all ears!

OP
Short Track
I drive every other year up there I use the midnight ferry North Sydney to Port Aux Basques. I try and reserve a cabin about 8 months out, I drive to Deer Lake then stay one night meet outfitters and drive in their truck not to ruin mine on back roads. It’s a big party waiting in line for the ferry. You will have fun I love it up there.

Are you saying my Suburban will get banged up on the roads in Newfoundland ? I planned on driving direct to the outfitter camp.

PA Hunter

WKR
It all depends how the roads are for your drive in to camp? Where I go I drove first year in with my truck and oh my god? I had 26 kilometers of old logging dirt road with huge pot holes and big rocks everywhere following outfitter driving like a maniac.

Yours maybe totally different?

You should touch base with your outfitter and ask how it is driving in .

If you have an option to go in with their vehicle I would always do that.

If you do decide to drive in make sure you have great tires.

Regards

Steve

PA Hunter

WKR
It all depends how the roads are for your drive in to camp? Where I go I drove first year in with my truck and oh my god? I had 26 kilometers of old logging dirt road with huge pot holes and big rocks everywhere following outfitter driving like a maniac.

Yours maybe totally different?

You should touch base with your outfitter and ask how it is driving in .

If you have an option to go in with their vehicle I would always do that.

If you do decide to drive in make sure you have great tires.

Regards

Steve
Also my outfitters truck step rails are all smashed up from hitting rocks and his rear leaf spring was broke last time I went in. Another hunter pulling a trailer took 4 hours going 26 kilo on that road.

You could be fine where you go though?

I keep my truck at deer lake hotel lot and drive in with outfitters beat up truck.