Few advice for Newbies from a Newbie

Wapiti1

WKR
I think it would be worth $4-500 bucks to put him on a plane. I'd probably pay that out of pocket to keep going.
Of his money. I'd offer two options, I drop you at the airport where you can get a plane ride or a rental car. Option 2, you can be my camp manager for the week.

Of course this only works if it is my truck we drove out in. Otherwise, I'm renting a vehicle.

Blind Squirrel, Sorry to hear it didn't work out. I'm sure you have your reasons for calling it. I also hope the fellow understands what a shit sandwich he served you. Expensive lesson.

Jeremy

T28w

WKR
And that’s why I drove 23 hours solo out there and 23 hours solo coming home. My brother is going this year. Had a baby expected to be born 2 weeks after we got back but he didn’t want to risk baby coming early last year.

Gerbdog

WKR
Look at it as a learning lesson, next year you know better what to expect and you know there is a good chance your gonna have to do it solo. Now you can mentally and physically prep for the ordeal. The solo game is a whole different thing altogether for sure but you can do it.

woods89

WKR
Of his money. I'd offer two options, I drop you at the airport where you can get a plane ride or a rental car. Option 2, you can be my camp manager for the week.

Of course this only works if it is my truck we drove out in. Otherwise, I'm renting a vehicle.

Blind Squirrel, Sorry to hear it didn't work out. I'm sure you have your reasons for calling it. I also hope the fellow understands what a shit sandwich he served you. Expensive lesson.

Jeremy
Ideally his money, for sure. But these situations are sometimes complicated, and if staying to hunt took me buying someone a plane ticket or renting a car, I'd probably pony up. No question, though, that it's a bit of a dirty deal.

The first time I went I had a rough day or two about 3 days in. I hadn't been sleeping well at elevation, I was having a hard time getting enough calories, missing my wife and kids, etc. I stuck it out as it would have negatively affected my buddies hunt even though we were independent enough that he could have kept going. I started sleeping better, had some elk encounters, and really enjoyed the latter part of the week. The next time I went I knew what I was getting into and it was a great experience, because I was prepared for it.

We hear over and over again that "elk hunting is so awesome'' but most new elk hunters don't realize that you may well have a few times that will test you. Everybody likes to focus on the right gear and physical fitness but you have to be able to handle the mental side, and that gets undersold. Elk hunting is great, but there is a lot of type 2 fun in between the exciting moments.

I get bad anxiety a couple days in. But it’s only because I start counting the days that I have left. It sucks knowing that you eventually have to leave the elk woods and go back to reality.

hah, i am supposed to be heading out with my old pal,
just rolled my ankle on a training hike.
can barely walk,foots numb. blah, blah,blah
ill be camp biatch!

Gerbdog

WKR
Yea the mental fitness cant be pointed out enough... its a roller coaster.... adrenaline rushes followed by either a higher adrenaline rush (if your successful) or an immediate drop and disappointment as the wind shifts. Do that several times in a day and a few days in a row, tossed in with all the physical exercise / low sleep hours, and it wears a guy thin.

Superdoo

WKR
L literally just ran into a similar situation. Sitting around the fire night one and he asks if I ever miss my kids while I’m out. I said I hadn’t thought about them at all until he brought them up!
That was 18 hours after he left his house. Day two was filled with him being frustrated about the lack of cell service to text the wife. After lunch we went up to a peak to look around. The dude ended up FaceTimeing with his family while I was glassing!
Apparently that wasn’t enough to get him right an we left a day sooner than I had planned.
I can’t wait to go solo!

I keep waiting for the punchline...but I guess this is real! Your killing me smallz...

I agree with the poster that says he gets anxiety because he only has a couple of days left...

I am not saying I don't think about my wife and kids, but this is insane. Like see a psychiatrist insane.

swamphunter

Lil-Rokslider
That sucks dude. Makes me thankful for my hunting partner.

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

sick_lids

FNG
Guy folded mentally, physically may have needed more time to acclimate, starting at a lower elevation or just hunted way closer to camp or a road...The level of physical fitness was just the excuse....

Don’t have to be a rookie to take that advice Blind Squirrel. No way I’d be leaving after a day though.

a couple buddies from NM are coming up to hopefully witness me kill something and more importantly help with the pack out this weekend. These guys have only ever hunted the hills in south central NM where there’s an elk behind every tree and you don’t hardly have to walk because they willingly commit suicide.

my guess is they will be ready to leave after a day. They think it will be a walk in the park but little do they know we will be between 11k and 12k feet 😏

Apparently you didn’t come here for advice before your hunt. Your partner is probably as important, or maybe more, than your boots or bow. You didn’t say why but if he was homesick or got his ass handed to him by the mountains or maybe forgot his tampons he’s no friend. He’s a pussy. It’s still early! Find a friend to join you even if it’s a non hunter and go back!

I would have given him a choice. Stay and enjoy God’s country or leave and when we get home find a new friend. My elk hunting is way too important to let anyone ruin it. He needs to read this thread!

I'm very picky who I hunt with for this reason. Some guys don't get what early is either. I go out once a year with 4 other guys, but I only hunt with one of them. We will spike camp away from base camp. The other three like to eat well, relax and partake so to speak. Not that I don't think taking it a little easy isn't fun, but a hunting trip is serious and that's my intention. Plenty of time all year for the other stuff. We meet up at base camp if needed or to help with game. It does help having a group for a good camp though. Nice to go to after 4-5 days spiking.

arock

Lil-Rokslider
That is crazy - I'd be furious. Bailing on the first night of a solo hunt you could sell me with the weirdness of being in the wilderness alone and the additional mental challenges that presents. With another person, unless injured, legitimately sick or some important family emergency- it seems preposterous to drive 20 hours and give up after one day.