Few macerated elk heads

WKR
Finished up a few macerated elk heads yesterday after the sun finally came out. Process is pretty nailed down now. Taking about 7 days for an elk head to get cleaned off, then degreasing and whitening. I really like the results it is providing. Couple of pics attached.

OP

WKR
Actually just running at 90 degrees. Elk for whatever reason get cleaned off in 7 days consistently. Deer take about 9. Then degreasing and whitening adds time and effort. The smell is off the charts bad of course. Not something you would want to do in a garage.

Are you doing something to maintain the water temperature at 90 degrees or is that just the natural temperature when left in the sun? I wonder how this would work in current temperatures of 30-50 degree days.

OP

WKR
Buy the fish tank heaters off Amazon or a pet store. Keep them at 85-90 degrees and put them in a 15 gallon container. I've been good down to 20 degree nights. Past that and process slows down.

Sundance

Lil-Rokslider
Interesting, I'm running a single 1500W fish tank heater in a 5 gallon bucks with one deer head per bucket. Seems to be about 2-3 weeks to get them clean. How many heaters are you putting in the 15 gallon container to hit that temperature? No joke about the smell, its awful. The end result does look amazing though.

JG358

WKR
Are you doing something to maintain the water temperature at 90 degrees or is that just the natural temperature when left in the sun? I wonder how this would work in current temperatures of 30-50 degree days.

I do them in a tub in the shed with a stock tank heater.... Usually about a month or so.

OP

WKR
Interesting, I'm running a single 1500W fish tank heater in a 5 gallon bucks with one deer head per bucket. Seems to be about 2-3 weeks to get them clean. How many heaters are you putting in the 15 gallon container to hit that temperature? No joke about the smell, its awful. The end result does look amazing though.
Depends on outside temps, but at 30 or above, I can get by with 2 heaters in a 15 gallon tank. Since they have a thermostat, I even put 3 in sometimes. If the temp stays up at 90 the process goes fast. I even put 2 in a 5 gallon bucket at times.

Gnatboy911

Lil-Rokslider
I have beetles for cleaning skulls, but my beetle freezer isn't big enough for elk heads. I do all of them by maceration. We have a detached garage that is pretty much mine...wife doesn't go out there. So, my maceration takes place in there. I just keep 2 windows open, one with a fan that kicks on via a christmas tree timer every so often. Man its still very rank.

Too many great skulls get boiled, maceration may be a slow, stinky process but it's worth it. I really should get on the aquarium heater train, I use them for degreasing but not the maceration process itself, can take over 2 months up here without a heat source.

Gotta love those intact turbinates! ;)

HTo33JP.jpg

OP

WKR
Bears are the best skulls. Too greasy for me typically. How did you degrease that one? Got 3 tank heaters in a 15 gallon old cooler and rot is happening. Lows only down to mid 20s though.

Just an aquarium heater and dawn dishsoap for 4-6 weeks. I've heard acetone works well and have been curious to give it a try but dishsoap is super easy and works well enough for me. Without some form of degreasing though even young bears will yellow up within a year or so.

svillalobos

Lil-Rokslider
Maceration? Is there a thread I can find on that to learn more? Those skulls look awesome, we do the boil pick pressure wash repeat method but sounds like “maceration” turns out a better product

OP

WKR
It's not fast and it does smell. Here is how I do it:

The process stinks to high heavens. I mean, it really smells. But I have a detached barn and my wife doesn't go out there in the fall lol. Here are the steps:
1. Skin head out, no need to do anything other than skin it.
2. Place into a large tub or if deer, a 5 gallon bucket. Cold weather I use an old insulated cooler.
3. Add tap water, no soap, chemicals, anything like that. Just water.
4. Drop in 2 fish tank heaters turned on 90 degrees or 85 degrees and let them go to work.
5. Check water levels every other day and make sure that water gets up to and slightly above the base of antlers.
6. If you are keeping water warm, after 7-10 days, you should be able to use a garden hose and thumb pressure to blow off any remaining meat. You'll want to wear rubber gloves as it smells to high heavens.
7. Do not leave that head meat that rotted off or your dogs will eat it, its not bad for them, but the odor is terrible.
8. Now the worst is over. Fill tank back up with clean water, I use tanks reserved for this part of it. Add a lot of Dawn dish soap and put the heaters in again. This will cook the grease out of the skull. It varies on how long but typically 3-5 days is good.
9. Rinse very well. Let dry in sun. I think use a foam paintbrush and paint on the 40 volume peroxide that I buy from Amazon. I do this repeatedly until the skull is totally white. DO NOT GET THIS ON THE BASES. They will turn white.

I'll estimate I have 60-90 minutes per skull and am only out the peroxide for materials. Its really easy and worst case you rot one for 14 days if the meat doesn't just fall off. The bone remains completely intact. I do 4-5 for my family each fall as well. Good luck if you go this route.