Few thoughts about NL 10x42 vs EL 10x42

kaku3428

Lil-Rokslider
Hello members,
Yesterday i went to Cabelas in Hamburg to compare these two binoculars. I have 8.5x42 and recently purchase 12x50 but let me assure you I am not biased because I use meopta snd Schmidt and bender products too. So here is my observation:

1. I will not comment on brightness because I only compared them inside the store and there was very bright lighting.
2. Ergonomics - the NLs feel very light and too thin but I cannot wrap both hands at the same time because with my IPD setup, my hands are touching each other. ELs felt more roomy.
3. Mechanics on NL felt smoother
4. I did not like the diopter because it is non locking
5. NLs win hands down in eye box and eye relief. They feel exactly like LEICA Ultravids when you look though them. The outer black circles become very thin when you looks through them. The hinge is as smooth as Leica Ultravids too. If i dont know whether I am looking through Leica or swarovski , i will not be able to tell the difference
6. Inside the store I could not verify the larger field of view and i did not notice it.

I like Nls but other than the slim shape i dont think they are worth the money at this point. I feel we went back in terms of features and technology by remove swarovision.
If the eye box of ELs is improved and matched upto NLs, I will buy Els all day every day!

(My first attempt at review so thats why not as technical)

Regards,
Jay102.jpg101.jpg

Attachments

• 102.jpg
    102.jpg
    277.2 KB · Views: 41
  • 101.jpg
    101.jpg
    295.3 KB · Views: 41

mgebs311

FNG
I like Nls but other than the slim shape i dont think they are worth the money at this point. I feel we went back in terms of features and technology by remove swarovision.
If the eye box of ELs is improved and matched upto NLs, I will buy Els all day every day!

(My first attempt at review so thats why not as technical)

Regards,
Jay

The NL’s do have Swarovision like the EL’s. These screen shots are of the NL page when I hit the “discover now” link for the NL’s on Swarovski’s website.

Attachments

• 6356764C-8888-4255-B10D-A9D1BBF75F8E.png
    6356764C-8888-4255-B10D-A9D1BBF75F8E.png
    855 KB · Views: 59
  • D1A9CC95-E063-4C78-90E6-05B8A715AD57.png
    D1A9CC95-E063-4C78-90E6-05B8A715AD57.png
    1 MB · Views: 59
Last edited:
OP
kaku3428

kaku3428

Lil-Rokslider
The NL’s do have Swarovision like the EL’s. These screen shots are of the NL page when I hit the “discover now” link for the NL’s on Swarovski’s website.
[/QUOTE]
No sir they dont.104.JPG

mgebs311

FNG
Kaku3428,
I understand where you are coming from in thinking that. If you look at the main overview page of the bino’s before you click on a specific objective for that product, you will see that it does have swarovision. If you look at the similar page, but for the EL’s, you would be led to believe that the EL’s don’t have the Swarodur or Swarotop coatings either, which they in fact do if you just read about them in the EL overview page that you get to by clicking “discover now”. I don’t know why their website is misleading that way. Attached is an example screen shot from the Outdoorsmans website (Swarovison with the NL’s) and a screen shot from the Swarovski EL page that shows the products coatings that aren’t listed on the other page.

Attachments

• C202DF86-41CA-4246-9D3B-5222C3095867.jpeg
    C202DF86-41CA-4246-9D3B-5222C3095867.jpeg
    412.8 KB · Views: 44
  • 476B8183-F9B9-4712-9DDE-C796AD0C78D5.png
    476B8183-F9B9-4712-9DDE-C796AD0C78D5.png
    553.5 KB · Views: 44
  • 0CFF0FA7-A3E6-4928-974D-FB474223BD42.png
    0CFF0FA7-A3E6-4928-974D-FB474223BD42.png
    705.6 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
OP
kaku3428

kaku3428

Lil-Rokslider
Kaku3428,
I understand where you are coming from in thinking that. If you look at the main overview page of the bino’s before you click on a specific objective for that product you will see that it does have swarovision. If you look at the similar page but for the EL’s, I’m led to believe that the EL’s don’t have the Swarodur or Swarotop coatings either, which they in fact do if you just read about them in the EL overview page that you get to by clicking “discover now”. I don’t know why their website is misleading that way. Attached is an example screen shot from the Outdoorsmans website too and a screen shot from the Swarovski EL page that shows the products coatings that aren’t listed on the other page.
Coatings are same as EL but field flatner lenses are not there. Confirmed with customerservice@Swarovski Optik. But they could be wrong as I have realized over the years that usually they have no idea about their own products. They said swarovion only means "SWAROVISION technology guarantees stunning images with incredible color fidelity, making it easy to identify every single detail" , and not necessarily field flatner system.

Two examples: SLC 15x56 has very flat field but they dont have swarovision.
El 12x50 has swarovion but the field has slight curvature built into it to avoid rolling ball effect.

What ever it is the field is not perfectly flat at the edges in NLs.

MattB355

Lil-Rokslider
I tried them out EL vs NL at my local Sportsmans WH and found the ergo on the NL's to be nice ( I am not sure if I this is a benefit as I am so used to my EL's that it is a non issue). I found the eye box to be a little more sensitive with the NL's while looking towards the edges. The wider FOV was definitely noticeable in the store for NL's. The FOV is hard to test indoors but I usually find a sharp edge reference point and see how wide I can see from the reference point to another point and quickly swap binos. I tried the 10's in both the EL's and NL's. Overall the NL's are great and would be easier to get on and off of a tripod vs the EL's due to the lack of a front hinge but I do not think I will part with my EL's (they just flat out work). I would love to try the 8's next to see how wide the FOV is as well as the 12's.

mgebs311

FNG
Coatings are same as EL but field flatner lenses are not there. Confirmed with customerservice@Swarovski Optik. But they could be wrong as I have realized over the years that usually they have no idea about their own products. They said swarovion only means "SWAROVISION technology guarantees stunning images with incredible color fidelity, making it easy to identify every single detail" , and not necessarily field flatner system.

Two examples: SLC 15x56 has very flat field but they dont have swarovision.
El 12x50 has swarovion but the field has slight curvature built into it to avoid rolling ball effect.

What ever it is the field is not perfectly flat at the edges in NLs.
Yeah it was my understanding that Swarovision technology is field flattening lenses that are coated and treated just like other lenses but to give the edge to edge clarity and flat field. So when the NL page says Swarovision that’s what I would assume. Maybe they are still field flattening lense technology but not quite as intense as the EL’s so the edges aren’t quite as flat but easier on the eyes when it comes to that rolling ball effect. I know I have read about the Zeiss Victory SF’s and Leica Noctivid’s utilizing field flattening technology, but not being as flat, intentionally on their part. That definitely is confusing hearing that from customer service, but they should know.

Last edited:

fatrascal

WKR
I recently sold my EL's and bought EL range binoculars. I sure miss the superior view I had with the regular EL's. I never thought I would be able to see a difference but I do. So my question is this, is the NL better than the EL? Fatrascal