FFP <$1k for .223 CTR

ericwh

WKR
Per the title, looking for an optic for my tikka.

Primary uses are woodchucks/prairie dogs, local groundhog matches (out to ~820yds), and steel as far as I can keep an 80gr bullet stable.

I have never owned an illuminated reticle and probably won't be shooting much in low light, so not really worried about that. I am worried about objective size as the CTR does not have an adjustable cheekpiece. I have a 20moa base.

Right now I'm using a mil scope for this rifle and my AR-15 and MOA for my 2 hunting rifles. I could go either way. I don't have a ton of people I shoot with but the few I do use MOA.

What I'm currently looking at:
Bushnell LRTS 4.5-18x44 - $750
Burris XTR ii 5-25x50 - $720
Vortex Strike Eagle 5-25x56 - $700
Vortex Viper HS LR 6-24x50 FFP - $870
Athlon Midas TAC 6-24x50 - $670

What am I missing? What are the rankings of the scopes above?

OP
ericwh

ericwh

WKR
Why no SWFA? 3-9 or 3-15. Both well under $1k and proven reliable

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Didn't know if 15 would be quite high enough for my usage. Was a little concerned about the bushnell at 18 but including it since it's so well regarded.

I have a 3-15; maybe I can try it out to 1000 before I decide.

Didn't know if 15 would be quite high enough for my usage. Was a little concerned about the bushnell at 18 but including it since it's so well regarded.

I have a 3-15; maybe I can try it out to 1000 before I decide.

I’ve used my 3-15 out to 1160 a few times, and routinely out to 750. So it will definitely work for those distances.

I’ll also add that SWFA makes a 5-20 that can be found for $1k or less in the classifieds here. I’ve never used one of the 5-20s but everything else I have from them is solid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

260madman

WKR
Weaver 3-15 iEMDR is $500. I have this scope and it’s very nice and well built. Bushnell is handling warranty stuff because they dropped Weaver after buying them out. I’d take the chance, some guys have received Elite Tacticals to replace their Weaver tactical scopes when they had an issue.

Another is SWFA 5-20. I have one of these also. Great glass and built like a tank. Can’t go wrong.

Burris XTRII is also good but they are getting hard to find. I bought 4 for $506 each last summer when they started closing them out. I haven’t spent enough time behind them yet but they have a great track record and none of my 4 have any hazy glass like some have complained about in the past.

OP
ericwh

ericwh

WKR
I have been reading bigjimfish's reviews on <$1k scopes and it led me to include the Athlon Ares BTR. I have also read some reviews from those who own both and claim the LRTS is brighter than the SHV.

How much would stepping up to the higher magnification of the Ares BTR 4.5-27x50 or XTRii 5-25x50 help me spot .223 hits and misses at longer distances?

Viper PST Gen ii 5-25? They can be had for under $1K between sales, active junky and buying cabela's gift cards at a discount.

Mine ran me under $750 OTD when I combined those things.

Dobermann

WKR
Per the title, looking for an optic for my tikka.

Primary uses are woodchucks/prairie dogs, local groundhog matches (out to ~820yds), and steel as far as I can keep an 80gr bullet stable.

I have never owned an illuminated reticle and probably won't be shooting much in low light, so not really worried about that. I am worried about objective size as the CTR does not have an adjustable cheekpiece. I have a 20moa base.

Right now I'm using a mil scope for this rifle and my AR-15 and MOA for my 2 hunting rifles. I could go either way. I don't have a ton of people I shoot with but the few I do use MOA.

What I'm currently looking at:
Bushnell LRTS 4.5-18x44 - $750
Burris XTR ii 5-25x50 - $720
Vortex Strike Eagle 5-25x56 - $700
Vortex Viper HS LR 6-24x50 FFP - $870
Athlon Midas TAC 6-24x50 - $670

What am I missing? What are the rankings of the scopes above?

From that list ... and for 820 yards, and under $1000 ... probably the Bushnell, as you'll be dialling.

TX_Diver

WKR
I have the SWFA 3-15 and like it. I also have a Gen 2 razor (4.5-27).

Both are good but the SWFAs are significantly cheaper.

Love my Bushnell I got the 3x12x44 last year from Doug on clearance price. It's on my main hunting rifle. It's excellent. Fully Japanese built. SWFA is also very good. Quite a few good demo units available on their sample list. I'd check those out.
Nightforce, Trac, Sightron and Meopta also to consider.

OP
ericwh

ericwh

WKR
Long term update: Wife got me Bushnell LRTS from Cameraland for Christmas. Very happy with it so far.