FFP versus SFP for LPVO?

I'm debating between buying a first focal plane versus second focal plane scope for a "brush gun." Either way, I'm going to buy a low powered scope such as a 1-5, 1-6, etc. Did some deer scouting yesterday and fifty yards will be a long shot, with around 20-30 being more typical. I likely won't be making any adjustments to the scope in the field for range or wind. I've never used or owned a FFP scope before.

Thoughts?

sneaky

"DADDY"
If 50yds is going to be a long shot I'd be using iron sights in brush that thick. FFP at those low magnification ranges are going to be tough to see. If you are set on mounting an optic I'd do a SFP.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Brendan

WKR
It'll be personal preference - don't think it really matters. But, I prefer 2FP for those conditions because it will give you the same sized reticle at all yardages.

I'm a New Englander too, and I prioritize glass quality, light gathering, and being able to see the reticle clearly and quickly under all conditions, and none of my short range setups have the ability to dial, all hold-over reticles. I do like having a scope for those conditions to be able to more easily thread a shot through the limbs, twigs, leaves, etc. My favorite is actually the Swarovski Z5 2.5-10x50 with BRX-H reticle.

AgentVenom

Lil-Rokslider
For anything, EXCEPT long range shooting Where you need to judge distance and have the reticle read “true” at any magnification, I would go SFP. They are usually cheaper and at 1x speed is faster with SFP over FFP. I know the military did a comparison study awhile back and found for CQB snap shots the SFP proved faster. I think they sited the SFP, the eye focused faster/ tracked faster then with the FFP almost on par with a parallax free red dot.

I fully concur.. The only benefit I ever found to FFP is the ability to range from the retical without going to the "Calibrated" magnification.... Also for me shooting paper at high mag had the crosshair too large and covering POA..

Ratbeetle

WKR
I guess I'll be the contrarian. With a properly designed reticle, FFP on a lpvo all day. My 1-4 swfa gives me an almost a eotech style ring on 1x for quick shots close in. On 4x, I have legit subtensioned reticle.

crich

WKR
For those distances Id run a red dot. Even on 1x I've found scopes to mess with my eye a little trying to shoot 2 eyes open on multiple moving targets (pigs) under 60 yards in brush/timber.

Wapiti1

WKR
SFP. I hunt Indiana with a 1-4 on my MZ and a fixed 4X on a rifle. It's rare to have a shot past 50 yards in the woods, and both work well.

Don't discount the need for a little magnification in brush when you are trying to figure out which deer is which at the end of shooting light.

A heavy plex reticle is all you will want or need. Illuminated is nice, but not necessary.

Jeremy