FFP vs RFP for coyotes

Forest

WKR
Going to be buying another 22-250 soon since I cant thread my current one and would just be silly to not use my new suppressor haha. I think i've narrowed down my scope shopping to the burris veracity 3-15x50mm. Natchez has the same scope in both FFP and RFP setups on sale. I am much more accustomed to standard RFP but have just gotten into the "longer" range game in the last couple years and realize it has its advantages. But for coyote hunting I am a little unsure?? When calling around here a 40 yard shot is nearly as common as 400yd it seems, but it very well might turn into a longer range plinking/practice gun too. Open to suggestions and opinions!

TheGDog

WKR
I bought that Burris Veracity for for my .308 The glass is dang good. And it was a combo deal where they included a 4.5-14x44mm FullField E1 with a simple reticle that was just crosshairs with MOA marks along both Axis. Worked out well too, because not long after the entyr-level Vortex scope on my .223 got the ocular bell messed up from stuff pushing it against the wall in the gun cabinet.

Pretty sure it was OpticsPlanet.com I got it from.

If you plan on using the BC feature of the reticle.. go with FFP... because it grows as you increase the magnification. If you get a standard Second Focal Plane scope then to know and take advantage of the BDC marks you typically need to dial up magnification to max. OR.. have a companion app on your phone that you can plug in what power you're currently set on, and it would then tell you what the BDC marks would represent in yards at that lesser magnification power.

Matt3479

FNG
I run ffp on most of my rifles, target and hunting. My exact coyotes rig set up right now is a custom 20 tac pushing the 35 bergers at 4050fps wearing an element nexus 5-20x50mm ffp scope. My back up is a custom 223 rem pushing the 40gr blitzkings at 3400fps wearing a Schmidt pmII 3-20x50 ffp. My long range rig is a custom 6 creed pushing 105’s at 3130fps wearing a Nikon black fx 4-16x50 but being upgraded to a vortex strike eagle 5-25 ffp or element titan 5-25 ffp this week!

I prefer it for follow up shots, running shots as you can see you miss, or your splash to adjust and lead without having to be on a certain magnification

My concern with the FFP is that the reticle is super fine and small when zoomed out to a lower magnification. I like to carry the gun on a lower mag around 4x and leave it there until I actually need to zoom in. I have FFP on my target and long range guns and SFP on my hunting guns.

TheGDog

WKR
FFP. It's much less functional to have the BDC marks if it's SFP. Since you HAVE to dial up to the magnification at which those lines are intended/calibrated for. But... with FFP the BDC marks grow and shrink accordingly with the magnification. 1 less thing to worry about in the heat of the moment.

If you need to use a BDC mark, as long as you can see it, your good. If you can't see, you shouldn't need it anyway.

A like the reticle on the Burris Veracity I put on the .308 Win. When it's dialed out for low, their big reticle lines have kind of a needle shape to them, makes them easy to see in the FOV. Then as you dial up, all kinds of detail gets revealed to you in the FOV.

Nealgl1985

FNG
Classified Approved
You can also get a ffp with an illuminated reticle and turn it on for lower magnification if needed to help see it. Another option is to have a offset red dot sight for anything closer and keep your magnification up for medium to longer ranges. Try both for your situation and see what works best for you. It sounds like you have both ffp and sfp scopes already so swap some things around if needed and try both. Happy hunting!

TheGDog

WKR
Oh, do you mean like those scope mounts which have a 45 degree angled spot for an RMR RedDot?

DRNalaska

FNG
Anymore I prefer ffp for everything. If it’s going to be for hunting I like an illuminated reticle for low magnification, dawn/dusk shooting. All of the ffp scopes I’ve shot have been fine to shoot on low magnification during daylight. You can’t see all of the details but the main cross hairs are clear and distinct enough for shooting.