FHF Bino Harness Pack Suspension/AGC Franken harness

So maybe I am trying to eliminate an issue that doesn't exist for most people... but I thought this was a decent enough idea to post it if anyone else has some of the bino harness annoyances that I do. I love my bino harnesses and absolutely think they are worth it... I have an FHF that my wife primarily uses, and I have an AGC that I primarily use. I like them both for different purposes tho I feel like the AGC offers better protection, and the convenience of having my binos, headlamp, rangefinder, tags, fire starting methods, electrical tape etc all in one package is appealing.

My complaint is that I'm not a very big guy (really that IS my complaint in life lol) and have issues with my harnesses dropping down and resting on my diaphragm or stomach (gonna try and fix that issue before this next year lol) while hiking... and the harness in back raising up and resting on my neck. I find that especially when hill climbing, I end up unbuckling one side of the harness or just loosening it so I can breath better... and then having neck pain because it's resting on my neck...

Enter the FHF Harness suspension... This cool little kit includes everything you need to dump your bino harness and connect the bino pack/cover straight to your pack.

My issue with this was that often times when I'm stalking, or sitting etc I have my pack off and want my binos on still. So I took some of the buckles/straps and combined them with my AGC harness so I have my "Pack hiking" option, and my "disconnected, stalking" option.

Basically, I took the buckle straps, and attached them to my pack load lifter loops (Exo 3500 K2 version)... and then I attack the split bar female buckles to my AGC harness. Note - I had already changed out the built in buckles for a split bar tri glide to get them higher.

The result is that I can buckle in my harness to my pack frame while hiking - and the pack keep the bino harness elevated and takes the weight off my neck and shoulders... but when I want to take the pack off, I can unbuckle and run the harness as intended.

Anyway - nothing earth shattering, but I'm looking forward to testing this method this year... maybe it will give someone an idea of something to try :)

Some pics:

nvQpQslh.jpg

T4dJ37bh.jpg

NC51gOuh.jpg

Gxq8KJCh.jpg

99h31tPh.jpg

Do you have issues with the side straps loosening throughout the day? I get that a lot. I'm wondering if there is an easier fix than auto-lock buckles.

OP
rileybassman
Do you have issues with the side straps loosening throughout the day? I get that a lot. I'm wondering if there is an easier fix than auto-lock buckles.

No I haven't... Admittedly I don't like to have them that tight tho.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

FlyGuy

WKR
I have the same issue with the bino rig sliding forward/down. I notice it more when I am running a sidearm in a chest rig, which I sling low beneath the bino harness.

I’ve had this idea to add one or two straps coming down from the back of the harness on my AGC which would connect to my belt (or belt loops), sort of like suspenders. That should prevent the rig from sliding up my back. would have to be low profile so that the pack wouldn’t grind it into my back. Thought about maybe cutting off the ends from an extra set of Sitka suspenders to try.

You can’t cheat the mountain

OP
rileybassman
I have the same issue with the bino rig sliding forward/down. I notice it more when I am running a sidearm in a chest rig, which I sling low beneath the bino harness.

I’ve had this idea to add one or two straps coming down from the back of the harness on my AGC which would connect to my belt (or belt loops), sort of like suspenders. That should prevent the rig from sliding up my back. would have to be low profile so that the pack wouldn’t grind it into my back. Thought about maybe cutting off the ends from an extra set of Sitka suspenders to try.

Funny you mention that as that was the exact thing I tried before this... And yes, with my .44 below the bino harness it does make it worse.

I didn't like it.. I sewed on a strap in the middle of the back of my harness and had a buckle on a belt attachment. I would just buckle a third strap straight down to my belt in the back.

I didn't like it and it didn't really work very well. Every time you bend over you have resistance. It lifts your pants weird... And doesn't hold it as well as you would think.

YMMV but I much prefer attaching it to the pack.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

FlyGuy

WKR
Didn’t think that, but makes sense. The buckle was a good idea tho. Now I’m wondering if it might work with a bungee type strap instead to give some play?

Anyway, thanks for sharing. Good system.

OP
rileybassman
Didn’t think that, but makes sense. The buckle was a good idea tho. Now I’m wondering if it might work with a bungee type strap instead to give some play?

Anyway, thanks for sharing. Good system.

Worth a shot! Everyone likes different things and finds different systems that work for them. Lemme know if you get it working well

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk