field dressing moose by yourself

Have a hunt coming up for a tag I drew and my friend (s) who were scheduled to help pack may have to back out due work reasons. The good news is it's on a military base just north of anchorage with lots of road and trail access so the pack out even if solo should be very do able. Main concern is taking care of the animal... im a big strong guy but obviously moose are giant.

Anyone have any tips or tricks for completing the task solo? Maybe some gear? Heard Come alongs come up before?

Thanks in advance

bairdi

FNG
Field dressing a moose solo is not that bad. Take your time and and think it through before diving in and it likely won’t be that bad. I be done several solo and the toughest part for me was getting the hinds off the carcass and into game bags while still keeping them reasonably clean. Make sure to have some rope and a come-along or rope-a-long with you to help move the animal if falls in an awkward spot. And wear cut-gloves, for safety. Too easy to cut oneself badly and cause all sorts of headaches and complications.

hodgeman

WKR
A rope a long or a come-a-long, tarps, and some paracord are good to have. Moose generally live in country with brush and trees to anchor to.

As mentioned, the hardest part will be pulling the rear quarters and getting them bagged with out getting them filthy.

yukon254

FNG
I do four or five every year usually by myself ( Im a guide ) Easiest way I have found is to do one side at a time. With the animal laying on its side just skin that side, flop the hide over on the ground and then take the quarters off. Once the quarters are off get the back strap and neck. Then you can take off the ribs pretty easy. Gutting is simple once the ribs are off. Works well for me and most guides I know do it this way as well.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Easiest way I have found is to do one side at a time. With the animal laying on its side just skin that side, flop the hide over on the ground and then take the quarters off. Once the quarters are off get the back strap and neck.

That's how I do elk, figure it will work with moose as well.

A rope a long or a come-a-long, tarps, and some paracord are good to have. Moose generally live in country with brush and trees to anchor to.

As mentioned, the hardest part will be pulling the rear quarters and getting them bagged with out getting them filthy.

Agree with this as well. I did my moose solo last year and maneuvering the hind quarters was the hardest. I used a few tarps and that lot the meat clean. Cutting the lower part of the legs off made it more doable and I just had to deal with the weight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Snyd

WKR
I've done several by myself. All you need beside your knives are 6 game bags, a brand new 6x8 or 8x10 tarp and some rope. Use the gutless method as mentioned above, flop the quarters onto the tarp and bag em. It's not too bad, just time consuming. Good Luck!!

Done a few solo and like mentioned above, go gutless, take your time, and be careful with the blades. I use those rafting straps religiously for things and if you drop a moose by any trees, they're handy to loop around a leg and pull it up or over so you can work on it. Paracord will work too, but the cam lock straps are easy to operate single handed with gloves on. Oh.....having a couple Thermacell's running near the operation is very handy to keep flies and bugs away.

ganngus

Lil-Rokslider
I've quartered a moose in less than 5 minutes with a chainsaw using vegetable oil as lube.....

Has anyone used Nite Ize CamJamxt camlocks for paracord?

I pack paracord and a few chainlinks for making a block and tackle for holding legs on elk. I'm wondering if that camjam would be a faster/easier solution.

I also have access to such a military station. Willing to help if you need it, just send a message. Freezers are full so I expect nothing in return, I just enjoy cutting/packing moose.

Lol, indeed, I just got done putting a whole moose in the freezer as well. Still have my son's antlerless tag coming up in November - I don't need meat.

I don’t live near a military base in anchorage 😁 but I would for sure make sure you got a pistol on your person and a round in the chamber on your rifle as your attention will be less focused on your surroundings solo than if you had an extra hand for lookout. That was the very first thing I did after I shot my moose and my guide and I dumped our packs to start caring for the meat. Reloaded the rifle, one in the chamber, took it off safety, made my guide aware it was loaded and ready to roll should he need it. He did likewise.

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
meat hook is key

a boat paddle works for propping the hind qtr up so you can skin and then dismember. Two simple climbing pulleys, if trees are around, gives mechanical advantage for keeping legs in the air while they are skinned and removed.