Field dressing your goat?

Partagas

FNG
My wife drew a resident WY goat this year. We went out scouting this weekend along with some previous weekends but will probably wait to shoot one till october just to give the coat time to fill out. Season is Sept - Oct. We live close so we can be a little picky. We haven't decided on a mount yet so I know that will impact how we cape it out, full mount $$ vs rug or shoulder. I have been perusing the taxidermy thread for ideas.

Any suggestions for this? I have only caped out for shoulder mounts and will probably let the taxidermist do the head.

Jimss

WKR
Both lifesized, shoulder, and pedestal mounts are a regular dorsal cut to the tail. Rug cuts are usually down the inside of each leg and down the middle of the belly....so usually totally different. I would definitely decide on the mount prior to skinning your goat.

OP
P

Partagas

FNG
I used to be indecisive now I'm just not sure. Better start deciding. Since price quotes will help in sure.

Decker9

WKR
Personally, I’m not much for the look of a late season goat rug, their face looks off with all the beard hair. But an early season goat with short hair, I think looks pretty good as a rug.

Pretty tough to beat a nice 1/2 or full mount billy with good hair!!

Good luck!

JP100

WKR
How you mount it is entirely your choice, if you havent decided you have a few options skinning wise.

Dorsal cuts for full body mounts I have never done(no one really does them here), and see no reason to so one.

What you can do is a 'normal' full body skin, ie inside the legs, down the belly and short cut down the neck to get the head off(you can even leave this for the taxidermist).

If you skin like this, you can easily decide later to do a shoulder mount, flat skin, or full body mount and either option will require little work for the taxidermist.

If you dorsal skin for a full body its alot of stitching to use the cape for anything else.

I would just take the full skin as above if you are undecided and then you can do what you please and decide at a later date.

CCshirley

FNG
I got my first one this year and doing a shoulder do to space but that life sized is super cool.