Field dressing

I am relatively new to hunting, and have only shot one deer so far. I had alot of help field dressing it from my hunting buddy. I was wondering if there is a good how to video showing the process that someone can recommend? I have watched quite a few youtube videos but just looking for maybe a recommended technique. I am looking into gambrel vs on the ground.

Welcome.

Plenty of good videos on the youtubes for this. I think Steve rinella of the meateater does a great job here:

The meateater also has a set of guide books on the topic that are great. Buy volume 1 and it covers a lot of good stuff including field dressing.

As far as on the ground vs hanging, I have tried both. For just field dressing, assuming I don’t have someone to help, I prefer on the ground with a length of rope or cord to tie off one or both of the back legs to keep them spread and give me room to work.

For quartering in the field I have tried hanging, but raising a deer up alone takes a good tree and a little bit of strength. I played with some pulleys but went with on the ground instead. If you are careful you can peel the hide and do one side at a time, removing the meat while using the hide as a “ground cloth”. You can also use a tarp (wash it after) or a piece of Tyvek (disposable) to keep from getting the meat dirty.

If you don’t have to quarter or butcher in the field, I prefer to do that on a decent work table vs hanging. It allows me to be a bit more precise.

Btaylor

WKR
Google videos on field quartering like the one from Elk101. Unless you intend to keep the heart and/or liver there is no reason to ever open the animal up.

rayporter

WKR
you will get lots of different ways on this.

since I have always had to drag a ways I gut in the field -this also starts the cooling right away.
I can then hang and skin as my leisure. leaving guts in and skinning works for many folks but the time delay bothers me and besides there is that pesky distance out of the woods.

I can, and have quartered some that were way back in. generally if I can keep hunting I will and if they still have the guts in they are not cooling.

jspradley

WKR
Google videos on field quartering like the one from Elk101. Unless you intend to keep the heart and/or liver there is no reason to ever open the animal up.

I'm not a liver fan as much as I want to be but you can still get the heart out with the gutless method. Might have to cut a rib but it can definitely be done!

Gutless method for all my deer. I can get the heart no problem. I just can't acquire a taste for liver so I don't take it. I can quarter a decent size deer, take all meat including ribs, neck, brisket, get heart, pack it all up and start hauling in 30 min.

Some states you cant qtr or do anything but field dress a deer until it is checked. i do a hunt in Ohio every year where you can check the deer thu your phone or smartphone internet. But if you dont have service and cant check the deer in your not going to be able to do the gutless method. Your going to field dress and drag it If your on public. There are always different situations Depending on how stupid the rules are.

ZMT588

Lil-Rokslider
Watch all the videos you can and then just start getting your hands dirty. Take your time and don't rush, as long as its cool out. Nothing like hands on experience.