Field dressing

outdoor hunter

Am I the only one who constantly looks over my back when field dressing out game by myself?? I'm pretty sure it's a mental thing but I always seem to think that a predator is gonna come in while I'm gutting my deer or elk out.
Thoughts..

focker34

Unless I'm hunting in New Zealand I'll always take a glance over my shoulder while field dressing. Probably still even then.

Beastmode

I usually take a piss about 20 yards away to make my presence known. After that it doesn't really bother me unless its dark. Then I tend to look around a little bit.

dryflyguy

I've had a grizzly come in while I was whittling on a bull, so you are definitely not the only one who is looking over your shoulder.

littlebuf

Banned
in the dark I tend to look around a bit more, but really I think its way more mental in most cases. daylight field dressing it usually doesn't cross my mind unless im in a real bushy area doing the work.

Darren Best

It is an issue in Montana, a few years ago a solo hunter was killed by a grizzly while gutting an elk he had shot.

Last edited:

cmeier117

Where I hunted last year, had I got an elk down we would have had one of us on watch duty. The last 3 nights of our hunt I fell asleep to the sound of howling wolves. If we got an elk down at night it would have been the fastest field dress job you had ever seen. I would have been crapping my pants if wolves would have been howling and I am covered in blood!

2ski

It is an issue in Montana, a few years ago a solo hunter was killed by a grizzly while gutting an elk he had shot.

If memory serves, this wasn't even a solo thing. His buddy had gone for the truck to get it closer.

Or that picture that made its way around the internet a few years ago where the dude set up his camera to take a picture of himself and his bull and when he reveiwed the pictures, there was the glowing eyes of a mountain lion on the edge of the trees in the background.

2ski

Yeah...so I just googled it to find the picture, and apparently that was a fake picture....

littlebuf

Banned
it was fake but that doesn't mean its not still a possibility. like my dad always told me "be alert because the world needs more alerts"

hflier

Predators will come, I have had possum's wanna roll with me gutting out deer. They come in and don't want to take no for an answer. So I am sure bear and wolves are the same. I have heard a Grizzly can smell a gut pile at 3 miles.

Ray

When I was a kid in NV decades ago we had no issues. Then things changed by the 1980's when the cougar population recovered.

Up here a grizzly can show up when ever. Keep an eye on your down wind side at all times.

AK Troutbum

I do it all the time even when I have a partner. I've had brown bears move in on us on a couple different occasions while hunting Kodiak. As far as I'm concerned, it's never a bad idea to look around every few minutes, who knows, you're moose, elk, deer, or whatever hunt, may just turn into a combo hunt. :)

I never have worried about it usually when I get a animal down I tend to make more noise taking pictures talking with friends etc. Now if I leave meat over nite I'm very carefully going back into the spot never know something else could have claimed your meat over nite

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
blockfire76