Field dressing

outdoor hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Am I the only one who constantly looks over my back when field dressing out game by myself?? I'm pretty sure it's a mental thing but I always seem to think that a predator is gonna come in while I'm gutting my deer or elk out.
Thoughts..

focker34

Lil-Rokslider
Unless I'm hunting in New Zealand I'll always take a glance over my shoulder while field dressing. Probably still even then.

Beastmode

WKR
I usually take a piss about 20 yards away to make my presence known. After that it doesn't really bother me unless its dark. Then I tend to look around a little bit.

dryflyguy

Lil-Rokslider
I've had a grizzly come in while I was whittling on a bull, so you are definitely not the only one who is looking over your shoulder.

littlebuf

Banned
in the dark I tend to look around a bit more, but really I think its way more mental in most cases. daylight field dressing it usually doesn't cross my mind unless im in a real bushy area doing the work.

It is an issue in Montana, a few years ago a solo hunter was killed by a grizzly while gutting an elk he had shot.

Last edited:

cmeier117

WKR
Where I hunted last year, had I got an elk down we would have had one of us on watch duty. The last 3 nights of our hunt I fell asleep to the sound of howling wolves. If we got an elk down at night it would have been the fastest field dress job you had ever seen. I would have been crapping my pants if wolves would have been howling and I am covered in blood!

2ski

WKR
It is an issue in Montana, a few years ago a solo hunter was killed by a grizzly while gutting an elk he had shot.

If memory serves, this wasn't even a solo thing. His buddy had gone for the truck to get it closer.

Or that picture that made its way around the internet a few years ago where the dude set up his camera to take a picture of himself and his bull and when he reveiwed the pictures, there was the glowing eyes of a mountain lion on the edge of the trees in the background.

2ski

WKR
Yeah...so I just googled it to find the picture, and apparently that was a fake picture....

littlebuf

Banned
it was fake but that doesn't mean its not still a possibility. like my dad always told me "be alert because the world needs more alerts"

hflier

WKR
Classified Approved
Predators will come, I have had possum's wanna roll with me gutting out deer. They come in and don't want to take no for an answer. So I am sure bear and wolves are the same. I have heard a Grizzly can smell a gut pile at 3 miles.

Ray

WKR
When I was a kid in NV decades ago we had no issues. Then things changed by the 1980's when the cougar population recovered.

Up here a grizzly can show up when ever. Keep an eye on your down wind side at all times.

I do it all the time even when I have a partner. I've had brown bears move in on us on a couple different occasions while hunting Kodiak. As far as I'm concerned, it's never a bad idea to look around every few minutes, who knows, you're moose, elk, deer, or whatever hunt, may just turn into a combo hunt. :)

I never have worried about it usually when I get a animal down I tend to make more noise taking pictures talking with friends etc. Now if I leave meat over nite I'm very carefully going back into the spot never know something else could have claimed your meat over nite