Field hunting geese

xOttox

FNG
So I'm a novice goose hunter and was driving by my deer spot tonight and there were 300-400 Canadians sitting where I parked during the deer season.

Having never really field hunted for geese, is that the best spot to setup in the morning? Go back in the evening since I saw them in the evening? I've hunted the river for them before but never done any field hunting. Any advice is appreciated.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Lrt307

FNG
The canadians are real temp sensitive. If you are going to watch and see when they are leaving the river and going to the field. For example it may be 30°f out and the geese are landing @ 8:30 am. Then a cold snap comes and its 10°f and they stay on the river longer. Maybe like 10am. If its below zero we have had them real lazy and not show until noon. Trend where they are going and what time along with temps. This will get you started.

We brush in around a ditch bank and make a little hide then set up the decoys where they will be landing, coming from your strong side, right in front of you!

OP
X

xOttox

FNG
Have been out most evenings after work over the last few weeks. Weekends spent most of the day in the field Saturdays and after church in Sundays. I had some promising days early on brushing in along the edge of the field and in an area in the middle with some waist high grass. In those spots i setting the decoys up with a landing zone funneling to my blind. Had good number flying over and some doubles back but none would commit and took some passing shots with no success.

Temperature I couldn't figure out so maybe next season I'll keep a some notes, but it still seems random to me on when they are coming/going.

Season is almost over here, no birds to show for the efforts and empty skies in my neck of the woods. But a day out in the field that ends empty handed is 10 times better than a day not out. Hopefully everyone else was more successful this season.

f84644794cad68ed0f3ffd86169ffde4.jpg

SoDaky

WKR
1580399345062.jpeg
In relatively bare fields try find a strip or some cover within the field.Almost always better than on field edges.Will post a couple examples.

SoDaky

WKR
If no cover use what you have in the field or buy a cheap roll of WW2 leafy camo,cut out blind size sections and spray paint so you have options for various fields.If done right you can hunt successfully in cut beans,chiseled fields or even plowing.In those tough fields,the fewer hunters/dogs(fewer blinds) the better off you are.Hunting alone with your dog in fields is often much easier and better.
1580400139848.jpeg

Last edited:

SoDaky

WKR
In 'tough' fields can also surround the blind with decoys plus putting shell dekes on your blind.
1580401143904.jpeg

SoDaky

WKR
Doesn't take much cover if done right.Here we had a half mile 'Walk In'(public)field so hauled in Sillys and gear in a sled.We spent the time necessary to hide in basically a lawn that others thought wouldn't work.3 bands that day as well.The 'edge' would not have worked.These geese had been hunted and dropped in pretty much vertically.
1580401821974.jpeg

Fatcamp

WKR
Nice looking stuff there, Sodaky.

OP, look at how all the slots on his blind are full of stubble from the field he is hunting. Biggest tip I could give by far. I have shot all manner of birds from bare bean fields by using the little bit of cover made by where the combines turn and good concealment. Awesome stuff when it works.

SoDaky

WKR
Fatcamp thanks.Yes indeed,take advantage of what the farmer leaves you.Here I tied into a spot of beans he missed.
1580402391108.jpeg

OP
X

xOttox

FNG
Thanks for the examples! I can say based on those pictures I was not covering my blind well enough.

I only have 16 decoys. Do larger spreads make it easier? Was thinking of picking up some silhouettes. The field I have permission on is about 60 acres.

SoDaky

WKR
Hi.Normally larger spreads help but sure aren't mandatory.However in most cases you should have more than 16.Sometimes I run only 18 on really pressured geese just to be different.Sometimes it works.When alone I usually run 36 or 48 decoys.Placement is key and there are a lot of variables.Full bodies preferred by me.Big ones.Sillys work and I do use them when mobility is an issue or want a quick larger spread.Some people say don't mix the 2 types.I do sometimes with the full bodies nearest the landing hole.Often in late season will run Sillys behind me 30-40 yds or often as 'visual objects' for late season mallards.They are handy and easy to carry/use.
Happy to chat with you about this sometime if you wish.