Field judging moose?

2013 will be my 1st time hunting moose (Alaska) and the last thing I want is getting a visit from the popo for shooting a moose thats too small. ;)

What kind of advice would you experienced guys give for field judging?? Any good videos?

Thanks! Steve

Last edited:

Ray

WKR
The distance between the antler bases is about 8 to 9 inches on a bull that is about the right size. If you go with 8 then you are being conservative enough to not get in trouble.

The other thing to check out is when the bull is broadside and turns it head to the side causing its antler to extend along its back towards the shoulder hump. If the antler goes back over the hump it should be well over 50.

Get some cardboard and make a set of 50" antlers and set them up at distances to see what to look for in your glass.

Make sure you have good enough glass to count brow times. No sense in stalking miles across a swamp for a 45" three tine moose.

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
two sources for judging moose:

1. Is this Moose Legal? video by ADFG. Check out their website and view this one for free:
http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm?adfg=moosehunting.resources

2. Our video: Hunting Alaska's Terra Incognita the second disc in this video has a lot of up close footage of legal and sub legal bulls for seeing character traits and such. We don't say, this moose is legal or sub-legal because it didn't matter for us in this area...but, great footage so you can compare moose.
http://www.pristineventures.com/products/dvd-library.html

Good luck.

I agree with Ray on his points. A bull standing broadside with head turned, look for his antler tip to reach behind the shoulder hump...he's legal. Otherwise, no.

If his antlers look like they grow up more than lay flat, he's likely under 50". If they lay out flat and look 50" or better, wait for him to turn broadside and grunt or cow call to turn his head for the hump test.

larry

OP
actionshooter
Thanks for the info Ray.

I might try the cardboard idea.
I was also debating on bringing my spotter because I wasn't sure if it would be used in the terrain I'm going to, but you just talked me into it.

Ray

WKR
A lot of old school guys up here question why anyone would need a spotter for moose, but in a lot of the terrain you can see a moose at a mile with your eyes, and 10x binocs will not let you count tines. You may be able to tell how big the rack is but if he is not obvious then what? Bust your butt over hard terrain for a dink bull?

For your practice target you can use a board as will with good marks on it at set widths. It's difficult to gauge with out some kind of reference in your glass or on the animal.

If you are river float hunting then a spotter may not be that useful. And if the bulls are responding to calls then a spotter may not be needed.

Where are you headed to?

Last edited:
OP
actionshooter
two sources for judging moose:

1. Is this Moose Legal? video by ADFG. Check out their website and view this one for free:
http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm?adfg=moosehunting.resources

2. Our video: Hunting Alaska's Terra Incognita the second disc in this video has a lot of up close footage of legal and sub legal bulls for seeing character traits and such. We don't say, this moose is legal or sub-legal because it didn't matter for us in this area...but, great footage so you can compare moose.
http://www.pristineventures.com/products/dvd-library.html

Good luck.

I agree with Ray on his points. A bull standing broadside with head turned, look for his antler tip to reach behind the shoulder hump...he's legal. Otherwise, no.

If his antlers look like they grow up more than lay flat, he's likely under 50". If they lay out flat and look 50" or better, wait for him to turn broadside and grunt or cow call to turn his head for the hump test.

larry

Thanks Larry, Your Terra Incognita video is awesome, its the best reference I have found yet.

As much as I would like, going out looking for moose to get a better idea isn't an option :)

The bull broadside, head turned is GREAT info.........that's the kind of stuff I'm looking for.

Ray

WKR
Brooks Range float trip.........

That should be a good trip. Review the route for muskegs adjacent to the river and plan on stopping and calling. Give the sound time to work as moose move really slow most the time.

Ridgetop

FNG
We called 4 bulls in to our camps last fall with the sounds of building meat poles and breaking firewood so be aware they can show up anytime while you are sitting around camp. Good luck!