Field rear rest

I carry a 1.6oz. CrossTac rear bag. works excellent and fits into the top lid of my pack easily.

Broz

WKR
We have sold 100's of these now and they are getting rave reviews. Please have a look.

I use whatever I have with me. I do not carry a purpose-built rear rest.

Sometimes I use my AGC binocular harness with my SLCs in it, sometimes it is a puffy jacket in its bag, sometimes it in my Z-Lite pad, etc. I have even used rocks.

If I ever get burned by not having a purpose-built rear rest, or if I see the light, I'll grab one.

archp625

WKR
We have sold 100's of these now and they are getting rave reviews. Please have a look.

This is what I am going to carry this year for my mule deer hunt. Light weight and keeps my rifle solid.

Sometimes I use my AGC binocular harness with my SLCs in it, sometimes it is a puffy jacket in its bag, sometimes it in my Z-Lite pad, etc. I have even used rocks.

If I ever get burned by not having a purpose-built rear rest, or if I see the light, I'll grab one.

I've used my bino harness for more than one long range shot in the field, worked perfect.

Here's a photo from a Coues hunt in Mexico earlier this year. The buck was over 400 yards (cannot recall the exact distance) with a fairly decent decline. There was no where to take a prone shot (brush was too thick) so we improvised: Swaro spotter in the rear and an Outdoorsman "Shooting V" up front. This wound being a very stable shooting position. Gary made a great shot on a gnarly old 2x3.

Don't be afraid to use what you already have.Rear_rest_01.jpg

SDHNTR

WKR

Agreed. On top of everything else, if I had to carry this extra item just to feel comfortable about a shot, that tells me I need to get closer!

I’ve had good luck with this

I carry this also. It works good for me.

Here's a photo from a Coues hunt in Mexico earlier this year. The buck was over 400 yards (cannot recall the exact distance) with a fairly decent decline. There was no where to take a prone shot (brush was too thick) so we improvised: Swaro spotter in the rear and an Outdoorsman "Shooting V" up front. This wound being a very stable shooting position. Gary made a great shot on a gnarly old 2x3.

Don't be afraid to use what you already have.

I had a situation like that last year elk hunting. Sitting on a steep burned hill with lots of blow down. No way to get prone so I improvised. I used my pack as the rear rest with it sitting vertical. It worked out very well and was rock solid.
Rear Rest.jpg

Armageddon Gear - Pint Sized Game Changer .... with the Git-Lite fill. It can be used for rear or front support of the rifle.

Dobermann

WKR
@Broz - is there a difference in performance between the two different kinds of fill? Does the light fill have any downsides?

I normally leave my bino harness on with some slop. I prefer it so that way if I need to lay prone or even shoot from a seated position. I can use it like a rear bag. When prone simply shift it to the side and you can squeeze the material even with binos inside just like a rear bag. And in a seated position same thing, shift it to the side, your neck will hold the weight as it will hang on the bino harness. I have used this all over the world and its amazing how many guides are so blown away by the idea..... Its hanging from you neck already lol.

Blaw

WKR
ive done the bino harness, it actually was really solid

however, I typically have long grass in my way so a seated position is what I use.
I basically do trekking poles as a bipod, then stand my pack up leaning back into my shoulder where the butt rests on it....I have my legs crossed around pack, ankles locked around each other in front of me and can hold it solid against my shoulder.

I got the LRO bag w/"git lite" fill. Took a bull elk last week at ~430yds using it and it was super solid. It's lightweight and fits my rifle stock like a glove. Very pleased.