Fierce 28 Nosler in Fusion

Pretty stoked to get a few rounds built, tested and then get this dialed in and ready for 2 hunts this season. One hunt is mine and the other the wife's.

Fierce 28 Nosler, carbon wrapped barrel, NightForce NXS optic, Firstlite Fusion dipped by Phone Skope.

Seems about a pound heavier than normal, must be the scope
lol

I have grown to appreciate the NF brand and just trust it.
f4e55f09bc654baf2bca8aa92a994e82.jpg
fda0861b0207b82082562afd0ef819af.jpg

HankBC

Lil-Rokslider
7741e8716d5cbbc3c13f6b81473b994f.jpg

Fierce CT Edge in 30 Nos. What’s yours weigh in at friend? Keeping muzzle break on or taking it off?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
mfllood3800
I haven't weighed it yet. I will leave brake on. Shot first 3 rounds today. I'm cleaning the barrel out per their recommendations. It was right at .5" MOA @ 100. The 28 N was the top left target. The other 2 were my 6.5
ec9dab112a587091c7bc6b57dfa2b255.jpg

HankBC

Lil-Rokslider
Mine shot under .5 moa for the first 60 rounds or so, then I cleaned it and it opened my groups to .75-.8 . Took a half box til it was shooting better again. I also removed the brake from it later on and the changed the POI by 3 MOA. It shoots better with the brake on as well, I just couldn’t get over how loud it was.
I won’t be wearing ear plugs that often and don’t want the shockwave to erase my hunting partners memory! lol

cski100

Lil-Rokslider
Ferocious setup! I have two Edge models in 26 NOS and 300RUM. Carbon Edge in 28 NOS is next. They are shooters for sure!

OP
mfllood3800
I am having issues with the Nosler factory ammo. It acts like too much pressure, and wont allow bolt to open. When I do get it open, there is no pressure signs, like volcano primer, or slapping back of case to lugs. I called Fierce and they tell me there is an issue with Nosler's 28 production ammo. Seems they could keep up with demand and switched suppliers of casing, and those were out of spec. The walls of casing were too thin and allowed excessive growth. They asked me if my chrono speeds were down, I said, I don't know. They were at 2999-3030. They said yes that was low and typical of these out of spec ammo. It should be around 3100 +. Nosler decided to go with the casings and reduce the charge, hoping the expansion would be minimal and a non issue.

Well for me it is an issue. I have some Bertram brass coming, as Fierce says they are loading their own as an interim fix to help resolve the issue.

This is all info I received from Fierce, and I haven't heard it anywhere else, so digest it as relevant to your desires or not.

Pretty stoked to get a few rounds built, tested and then get this dialed in and ready for 2 hunts this season. One hunt is mine and the other the wife's.

Fierce 28 Nosler, carbon wrapped barrel, NightForce NXS optic, Firstlite Fusion dipped by Phone Skope.

Seems about a pound heavier than normal, must be the scope
lol

I have grown to appreciate the NF brand and just trust it.
f4e55f09bc654baf2bca8aa92a994e82.jpg
fda0861b0207b82082562afd0ef819af.jpg
That's a slick looking rig. Looks very close to my 28 Nosler actually. I have the same stock dipped in Kryptek Highlander with Proof CF and custom titanium brake. Went with the Loopy VX-6 HD Firedot though for weight

What bullet and weight are you shooting out of it? I'm reloading the 195 Bergers and am at about 3050 FPS.

JasonM

FNG
7741e8716d5cbbc3c13f6b81473b994f.jpg

Fierce CT Edge in 30 Nos. What’s yours weigh in at friend? Keeping muzzle break on or taking it off?

My 300rum ct edge is exact same weight....same setup my issue is can’t keep the Talley base screws tight. I’m switching to a rail.

OP
mfllood3800
agree. It is the thickness of the casing wall that is under spec. So the expansion is excessive, even at deluded powder charge.

Again, to be open and transparent, this is what Fierce Arms told me, and it's not an isolated case. I am getting new ammo and will verify.

Once I have decent cases I will load my own. I was hoping the 3 boxes I purchased from Nosler were those cases, but they are unusable at the out of spec thickness.

HankBC

Lil-Rokslider
My 300rum ct edge is exact same weight....same setup my issue is can’t keep the Talley base screws tight. I’m switching to a rail.

Hmmm strange. I’ve put it through a full season and it never loosened up on me. I’ll double check now that you’ve made me paranoid though haha

JasonM

FNG
Hmmm strange. I’ve put it through a full season and it never loosened up on me. I’ll double check now that you’ve made me paranoid though haha

A rail can loosen up too but I just can’t trust those Talleys anymore. This happened right around the 100 round mark. Fierce said torque base screws to 30 in/lbs and use blue loktite. I’ve made my mind up on the rail.

OP
mfllood3800
I have the Fierce in 300 RUM as well, with Talleys, and never had and issue, though I only have 60 rounds thru it. With that said, on my 28, I opted for the rail. I'll keep an eye on the talleys- thx.

I have not measured anything myself yet. I really need to.
I haven't even bought the dies as I need a good case to measure for my bushing to bump the neck. Just don't trust these cases to give me the measurement I feel I need.
Fierce is suppose to be sending me new ammo with Bertam casing.

HankBC

Lil-Rokslider
I have the Fierce in 300 RUM as well, with Talleys, and never had and issue, though I only have 60 rounds thru it. With that said, on my 28, I opted for the rail. I'll keep an eye on the talleys- thx.

I have not measured anything myself yet. I really need to.
I haven't even bought the dies as I need a good case to measure for my bushing to bump the neck. Just don't trust these cases to give me the measurement I feel I need.
Fierce is suppose to be sending me new ammo with Bertam casing.

Annoying to have this problem so close to season. Hopefully the boys get it figured out and sent to you. Keep us posted