Fierce Fury caliber

Sled

WKR
I think I've decided on a Fury for my next rifle. I like the 1/2 moa guarantee, trigger, cerakote, sako style action, decent carbon stock with a nice palm swell and longer length between trigger/swell. the drop at comb is closer to what i like than the rest and it has a slight negative comb. i also like a triad pack with my stocks for better cheek weld. without it i'm holding out into space. so, all that said, the browning hcs, christensen mesa and ridgeline didn't have a good stock fit for me. i'm looking to stray from my tikka 270 wsm but not too far. the question is what caliber to go with? i'd like this to be a steel ringer to ~1400 yards and elk (mostly cow) rifle out to 600 and maybe 800 under ideal conditions. my tikka is fine on animals to about 500 and steel out to 1000.

Fury calibers and suggested projectiles:
7mm Rem Mag Barnes 160 gr TSX
6.5 Creedmoor Hornady 140 gr ELD-M
6.5 Creedmoor Hornady 143 gr ELD-X
300 Win Mag Barnes 180 gr TTSX BT
300 RUM Barnes 180 gr TTSX BT
28 Nosler Nosler 160 gr Accubond
300 WSM Barnes 165 gr VOR-TX

i only stick a brake on if it's necessary for spotting shots and feel fine with most 7mags shooting 150gr pills w/ a decent stock but start needing a brake for recoil in the 300wby 180gr range of recoil. i really like my 270wsm but realize it's a dying caliber. that leads my toward the 7mm mag with its available brass/projectiles and loaded ammo (plus good BC's). i'd take the 28 nosler but not sure how long it'll be around and not interested in high cost of components for it. the 300 win is a tried and true but may duplicate my 300wby, which may be for sale soon. the 300wsm is interesting for the short action and ability to load longer COL's but will it be around and have available loads? the 300 rum needs a longer barrel than i want to carry. oh, and i have enough 6.5's in heavier barrels for now.

so, any thoughts on the calibers for the stated purpose? 7mm, 300wsm, 300win or any others? will fierce chamber the fury in anything else? any other firearms i've overlooked (barrett, cooper)? btw, sorry for the long read and thanks in advance.

edit: just noticed on their site that they also come in a 6.5 PRC which could be interesting.

Last edited:
I just picked up a fury in .300 wsm as a mountain rifle. I chose that caliber for the versatility of the different weights available in the .300 wsm but also keeping the short action which cuts a few inches off the gun.

I am waiting for my scope to come in so I haven’t worked any loads yet, but some commercial handloaders make rounds using then 178 eld-x bullet, but there’s a lot of factory ammo out there using anywhere from 165 all the way up to 200gr bullets. I plan to try some different weights and see if there is a difference. The fierce recommendation is simply that, a recommendation. Of course I want the gun to shoot, but if I can turn a 1/2 MOA 178-185gr bullet or a 1/3 MOA 165, I will take then higher weight if all else is pretty equal. So many variables but there are a lot of factory options for .300 wsm.

OP
Sled

Sled

WKR
I just picked up a fury in .300 wsm as a mountain rifle. I chose that caliber for the versatility of the different weights available in the .300 wsm but also keeping the short action which cuts a few inches off the gun.

I am waiting for my scope to come in so I haven’t worked any loads yet, but some commercial handloaders make rounds using then 178 eld-x bullet, but there’s a lot of factory ammo out there using anywhere from 165 all the way up to 200gr bullets. I plan to try some different weights and see if there is a difference. The fierce recommendation is simply that, a recommendation. Of course I want the gun to shoot, but if I can turn a 1/2 MOA 178-185gr bullet or a 1/3 MOA 165, I will take then higher weight if all else is pretty equal. So many variables but there are a lot of factory options for .300 wsm.

i'm looking forward to just loading one copper projectile and using it for target and game. i got tired of loading multiple different weights for all my calibers. it made it hard to keep up with my reloading. i thought a berger vld-h or barnes ttsx in a 150-168 might do the trick with a 7mm mag or a 180gr in one of the 300's. i'm leaning toward the .284 for the higher BC and lower recoil.

I am a 7mm fanboy, for hunting and shooting targets that would be my choice.
If I were just shooting for distance it would be the 6.5 CM
If I were just hunting it would be the 300 WM
Really no wrong answer though..

ofl0926

WKR
I am a 7mm fanboy, for hunting and shooting targets that would be my choice.
If I were just shooting for distance it would be the 6.5 CM
If I were just hunting it would be the 300 WM
Really no wrong answer though..

I have one in 7mm rem mag and boy it is a shooter. I’ve shot the Barnes in 150 and 160 and hornady eld-x. All have shot great through the rifle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Sled

Sled

WKR
Well, I went with a 7mm mag that I found used. I'll start loading soon and just need to decide on projectiles. Thinking of a 140 or 150 barnes ttsx. I noticed the suggested projectile is a 160tsx but have always liked the idea of the plastic tip for expansion. I should get the gun in a week but load development may have to wait untilo some of this snow melts. It's been quite a year.

Ofl0926,
Are you shooting factory or loading your own?

ofl0926

WKR
Well, I went with a 7mm mag that I found used. I'll start loading soon and just need to decide on projectiles. Thinking of a 140 or 150 barnes ttsx. I noticed the suggested projectile is a 160tsx but have always liked the idea of the plastic tip for expansion. I should get the gun in a week but load development may have to wait untilo some of this snow melts. It's been quite a year.

Ofl0926,
Are you shooting factory or loading your own?

I plan on reloading for it. I have to get components for it. For now, just factory loads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk