Figuring out factory ammo load data

Before Remington ceased production of the 338 RUM ammo with the 250gr Swift A frame, I stocked up. My rifle loves them and shoots very very well. The elk hate them, but my freezer is always full. It was a bargain at $35 a box, so I got 80 rounds. I am down to my final two boxes and with a scope change in the future, I need to start reloading. I am hoping to replicate the factory ammo I am using, but I cannot seem to find the information on what powder was used and how many grains. I really do not want to change a good thing, so has anyone ever had success finding the factory ammo load data?

Might be tough to figure out what they used exactly. I would try this. Chronograph the factory load and then research the Swift reloading manual to see what powder they have good success with and if that powder gets you to that velocity at least according to the book and is an accurate powder, try working up to the amount that gets you to that velocity or very close and see if the harmonics in the barrel are the same and it shoot it very well. I think that is what I would try.

OP
D
Might be tough to figure out what they used exactly. I would try this. Chronograph the factory load and then research the Swift reloading manual to see what powder they have good success with and if that powder gets you to that velocity at least according to the book and is an accurate powder, try working up to the amount that gets you to that velocity or very close and see if the harmonics in the barrel are the same and it shoot it very well. I think that is what I would try.

Thank you,I was just thinking, I could pull one apart and figure out how many grains of powder were used. Then I could see what loads in the Swift reloading book used that amount and get a little closer.

MThuntr

WKR
I agree with 6mm Remington about running a chronograph to get velocity since your rifle likes that combo. My guess is they used a proprietary powder that was easy for them to volumetric load.

Personally I'd probably just start completely new with the A-Frames as your basis because you may be able to improve things. My experience with factory ammo is that it's not consistent enough to appease my OCD...probably not that big of a deal but we each have our issues :LOL: . There are some really good powders developed for those big guns and I bet you could find a great combo with little effort.

OP
D
I agree with 6mm Remington about running a chronograph to get velocity since your rifle likes that combo. My guess is they used a proprietary powder that was easy for them to volumetric load.

Personally I'd probably just start completely new with the A-Frames as your basis because you may be able to improve things. My experience with factory ammo is that it's not consistent enough to appease my OCD...probably not that big of a deal but we each have our issues :LOL: . There are some really good powders developed for those big guns and I bet you could find a great combo with little effort.
I probably will be able to improve it, but dang does it shoot tight groups now! It is the only factory ammo I have ever used over my reloads, because I was truly impressed when I shot my first group with it. At least I don't have to pick out a new bullet, I can still buy those!

I would start fresh and work up a handload with your desired bullet. I have pulled 1,000 375 RUM rounds apart for a wildcat and would have loved to use the reclaimed powder. I couldn't find anything on what they used and it's not worth risking it. But it does make a nice fire when you light it up. Record flames in slow motion. John

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk