Filled my 🏹 elk tags 👊🏼👊🏼

mtnkid85

WKR
Heck of a season for you! Thats great.
I have to ask, do you eat two bulls a year? Ive thought about trying to do a two elk season in Wy or Id but I don't think my wife and I could get through two full elk in a year.

OP
huntnful

huntnful

WKR
Heck of a season for you! Thats great.
I have to ask, do you eat two bulls a year? Ive thought about trying to do a two elk season in Wy or Id but I don't think my wife and I could get through two full elk in a year.
I killed two bulls (smaller bulls) last year and only have about 5 packages of steaks left. But we couldn’t quite get through two mature bulls I don’t think. The size difference is unreal. All of my friends and family love the meat too though, so I like sharing it with them also!! 🤙🏼

I did totally spot and stalk, so no calling for either bull.

The NM bull was on the evening of opening day. I glassed him with about 8-10 cows and took about an hour to make a big loop and got about 100 yards out in front of them in the direction they were feeding. They fed right into me. I was just about surrounded by cows before the bull finally came into view bringing in the rear of the group. I could barely get a range on him without getting busted. Ended up being a 51 yard shot on that bull. Got an entrance and an exit but he snapped my arrow when he went to bolt off (21” of penetration). He went 296” as a 5X6

The Utah bull happened on day 8 and was freaking epic. Bulls fighting and bugling everywhere. Four mature bulls within 150 yards of me all screaming their heads off. I just snuck in and got in the middle of them. My bull ended up bedding solo, down in the bottom of this drainage and I could see him from up on top. Pretty sure he was wore out from all the fighting. I snuck into 68 yards of him and waited him out. About 10 minutes later another bull came over the hill and started a bugle battle with him that got him up out of his bed. They screamed back and forth while I waited for the right time to draw. Eventually he started raking his antlers in the brush and I drew back and double lunged him with a full pass through at 68 yards. He only made it 14 yards and died right there in front of me. That was the most epic morning on elk hunting you could ask for! He went 326” with a pretty symmetrical 6x6 frame.

I was shooting an 80lb Hoyt Ventum 33 Pro with a 30” draw. 250 spine Gold Tip airstrikes with a Grim Reaper 1 3/8” pro mechanical for both bulls. The arrows weighed in at 520 grains and were going 290 FPS. They performed excellent and I will continue to shoot this setup for everything, without a doubt.

View attachment 453710
View attachment 453712
Great bulls and a full freezer makes for big smiles. Congrats.