Filled my tags now what?

magtech

Lil-Rokslider
The one thing I look forward to each year is hunting. The problem is I try harder to get better every year. This year I took 2 10 pt whitetails, before bow is even over. I can't go to another state and hunt ( finances/logistics wont allow it). My tags are filled here. I'm thinking about hiking around state land and spotting bucks, just to see whats there. Should I just sit my blinds and see what pics I can get with a camera and tripod.... It feels great to shoot nice deer... But, now that my favorite activity is over; I feel empty.

KHNC

WKR
Spend time with your significant other. Im sure she will soooooo happy to have you around during hunting season. But , dont tell her its because you are tagged out. Think of it as more of, prepping for next year!

OP
M

magtech

Lil-Rokslider
I process my own deer in the same day or next day. Already made 10 lbs of jerky. have all the burger packaged,, roast packaged and backstraps. Even got the hearts pickling. Maybe I can convince my 9 year old girl to put down the tv and go hunting with me. I'm thinking its time she learns, we'll see i guess.

My wife is in school full-time so thats the main logistics on me not going out west. Kinda hard for her to handle a 4/9 yr old when she has clinicals all the time.

Right now, I'm slowly buying up everything I need to solo out west. I've hunted Montana elk (rifle) twice successfully so I know the basics of what that takes. Thinking of getting a kodiak tent and camp stove. Then some type of sleeping setup. After that I should have everything I need to truck base camp. As I get more comfortable at soloing i'll buy more stuff to pack my camp in.. But its all time and money. I dont do debt unless absolutely necessary, so I try to make things work and slowly build up to things that I will have long-term.

ODB

WKR
Man, if your time in the woods ends when your tag is full, rearrange your priorities. Take a camera and walking stick and get lost for a day. Pay attention to everything other than deer - it’s a pretty cool world out there.

OP
M

magtech

Lil-Rokslider
I cant get "lost" in the woods. I just really dont like people so I tend to be in the woods a ton. Maybe i'll finsih splitting my 20 + cord pile of wood...

I just figured it out. I'll off every squirrel within a few hundred acres of my blinds.. I get squirrel meat AND they'll stop chirping at me. I may be onto something here.

The one thing I look forward to each year is hunting. The problem is I try harder to get better every year. This year I took 2 10 pt whitetails, before bow is even over. I can't go to another state and hunt ( finances/logistics wont allow it). My tags are filled here. I'm thinking about hiking around state land and spotting bucks, just to see whats there. Should I just sit my blinds and see what pics I can get with a camera and tripod.... It feels great to shoot nice deer... But, now that my favorite activity is over; I feel empty.
Volunteer your time for a good cause. Habitat for Humanity, local schools or church. Let your blessings be a blessing for others with your available time.

Just a thought.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Maybe i'll finsih splitting my 20 + cord pile of wood...I'll off every squirrel within a few hundred acres of my blinds.

Now you're talking........split the wood by hand with a maul. I just got done doing some of that, and I have a 26 ton splitter. Nothing like manual labor. Thumbs up on the squirrels too. That's a daily venture for me, and I live in the city limits.