Filling/strengthening hollow synthetic stock before installing cheek riser

gtriple

WKR
Looking for some recommendations on filling a stock prior to putting on a bolt-thru adjustable cheek riser. I've had a rifle in the past with an aftermarket cheek riser that kinda crushed the stock.

Bondo, Great Stuff, packing peanuts, West System epoxy are all things I've read online. Bondo seems like the strongest, but heaviest. I'm not sure that Great Stuff is actually structural.

I don't want to stuff trash or plastic bags into the stock. And don't want anything that might rattle or make noise.

WoodBow

WKR
Great stuff is pretty soft unless you get some special formula. Maybe that foam they use to set post instead of using concrete.

Seems like some blend of foam peanuts and bondo/epoxy could make a nice matrix to build strength while remaining light.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Can you get a piece of round tubing and cut it to length, to go in between the 2 walls of the stock?
Then run the cheek piece bolts all the way thru?

buckys

Lil-Rokslider
I used the "Smooth-on.com" solution from my post here a couple of years ago:

I was just trying to make it quiet - not sure what sort of crushing force the riser you mention may have.

I used "Flex Foam-It III" which is the lightest weight application but you can choose from denser and presumably stiffer options (that also weigh more) :

Final thought ... when I stiffened the forearm of my tupperware stock, I used JB Weld but included some broken carbon arrow shafts which I think helped the overall stiffness vs. weight trade-off. Maybe you could use carbon shafts a little like rebar for whatever foam solution you choose?

Flgrizzy

Lil-Rokslider
I used some wall repair mix from Home Depot once ... I can't remember if it was fiberglass reinforced or not? But, it was not heavy, mixed well and did the job on an older Ruger rifle. It may be worth a look in the hardware stores ?

MightyMatt

Lil-Rokslider
West sysyem epoxy with micro spheres are what we used in building ultra lite race canoes when filler was needed without the weight. It's probably one of the priciest options but would give you strength without a ton of weight. Make sure you wear at least a dust mask while mixing it if you go that route. The spheres are not good to breathe at all.