Film - Analog Shooters

I’m getting back into it. Just shot a test roll in my old Elan II. It rewound it about half way through the roll lol. Gotta figure that out.

OP
D

dduarte85

FNG
No kidding. I never have shot large format. Neat looking setup. Can you give some details on it?

Jeremy
It’s definitely an exercise in patience and futility.

this is a gem of a camera... an Arca Swiss 8x10 (F Metric with Orbix). Essentially a highly precise tool with movements that are geared for really easy control of perspective / focal plane.

The only issue is that unlike most view cameras this is a monorail non folder, so transporting it is a pain in the ass. I have two options, as seen below it’s loaded into a canoe food box and that’s strapped to a BullPac frame. The only issue there is that the frames suspension system is super crude and I have a wicked hard time getting the load in the lumbar because I’m only 5’8.

My other option is a MR Nice Frame with a load sling. The nice frame is freaking legit but the load sling option doesn’t carry the bulky box. So I’m in the process of making a rudimentary box out of rigid insulation board. If it works maybe I’ll have a local friend make one out of plywood to the same specs.
149D2042-71B7-4126-A69D-09C725605D55.jpeg

Wapiti1

WKR
That is sweet, but enormous. Transport would definitely be a challenge.

I would be inclined to find a Kelty external frame and make a cradle for it on that. Just a thought.

Jeremy

OP
D

dduarte85

FNG
0B636B96-CD56-462C-ACE3-D16EFBEE59A6.jpeg

Experimenting today on a super minimal / lightweight kit box that hopefully will fit well in the load sling.

I'm venturing back to film these days, mostly at the urging of my 20 year old daughter who just took a photography class in college, and now has a whole new appreciation for the 1000's of slides and negatives the "old man" has in archival binders from the 80's and 90's.

I bought her and me, Nikon FE's (my all time favorite 35mm manual focus film camera) and they are loaded with Ilford Delta at the moment. However looking back over my B&W stuff from the 80's and 90's, I think I prefer Tri-X a little more.

Eventually I'll get back to my beloved Bronica ERT-S and SQ-A's. I loved those cameras - especially the SQ-A.

OP
D

dduarte85

FNG
I'm venturing back to film these days, mostly at the urging of my 20 year old daughter who just took a photography class in college, and now has a whole new appreciation for the 1000's of slides and negatives the "old man" has in archival binders from the 80's and 90's.

I bought her and me, Nikon FE's (my all time favorite 35mm manual focus film camera) and they are loaded with Ilford Delta at the moment. However looking back over my B&W stuff from the 80's and 90's, I think I prefer Tri-X a little more.

Eventually I'll get back to my beloved Bronica ERT-S and SQ-A's. I loved those cameras - especially the SQ-A.
It’s going to make a massive comeback... I think the initial cost of digital makes it very difficult for younger people to hop in. Now, analog isn’t cheaper... it’s just a sustained expense versus that upfront.

This 810 rig is worth like nearly 1/2 my 2018 Tacoma... so yeah, it can get a little out of hand.

It’s going to make a massive comeback... I think the initial cost of digital makes it very difficult for younger people to hop in. Now, analog isn’t cheaper... it’s just a sustained expense versus that upfront.

This 810 rig is worth like nearly 1/2 my 2018 Tacoma... so yeah, it can get a little out of hand.
I have the patience, but not the courage to venture into 8x10, but I do sincerely appreciate what that format can do. This nation's photographic history was built on 8x10 field cameras.

OP
D

dduarte85

FNG
I have the patience, but not the courage to venture into 8x10, but I do sincerely appreciate what that format can do. This nation's photographic history was built on 8x10 field cameras.
I teach photography the HS level... I’ve found with a full time job, a wife, and a 1 year old that large format is ideal for me. I’m totally ok with going out and making 2-4 pictures and calling it a day.

I teach photography the HS level... I’ve found with a full time job, a wife, and a 1 year old that large format is ideal for me. I’m totally ok with going out and making 2-4 pictures and calling it a day.
I guess I could see that. I was talking to an 8x10 photog the other day, and he said he is just in love with his contact sheet 8x10 prints, which is why he uses that format. I never thought of that.