Filming mics

ThisIsMyHandle

Lil-Rokslider
I’m finally getting started filming and I’m about to make my camera purchase, a canon SL3. So let’s talk microphones. I know that a shotgun mic is pretty much essential when filming outside. But what about a lavalier clip style mic? Can I use them together or will a shotgun mic be enough to hear me quietly talking during a interview while I’m in a treestand? Does the clip style need to plug into the camera or is it a Bluetooth?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would suggest you get the Canon M50 video kit. It is far superior for video then the SL3. It focuses faster and is smaller and lighter. Plus when you use M lens with IS, you get 5 axis image stabilization. A HUGE help on windy days in a stand. It also comes with a VERY good Rode mic
There are mixers on the market that will allow you to use both mics together but you need to be able to adjust from one mic to the other.
Feel free to call me with any questions

Joel
Camera Land
516-217-1000

OP
ThisIsMyHandle

ThisIsMyHandle

Lil-Rokslider
I had been looking at a used m50 but was swayed away at the lack of lenses. I was deciding between the t7i and the sl3, used also. Once I held them both I liked the sl3 more. The canon refurbish service has the sl3 kit for $479 right now. It’s too good to pass up.

I would suggest you get the Canon M50 video kit. It is far superior for video then the SL3. It focuses faster and is smaller and lighter. Plus when you use M lens with IS, you get 5 axis image stabilization. A HUGE help on windy days in a stand. It also comes with a VERY good Rode mic
There are mixers on the market that will allow you to use both mics together but you need to be able to adjust from one mic to the other.
Feel free to call me with any questions

Joel
Camera Land
516-217-1000

Joel,

Would you consider this Camera adequate for creating YouTube videos to document hunts, camping, etc?

Many thanks
Mike

100% yes. I just see the way the technology is going and ALL R and D is going to mirrorless. Think about it. Sony, Fuji, Olympus and Panasonic (Not a Lumix fan myself) are all mirrorless. Canon announced they will not be coming out with any new traditional SLR's in the current plans, while everything will be mirrorless. Every lens they came out with the last year has been mirrorless.
I have no skin in this game as you are looking for Canon refurb or used and the best bet would be the M50 for videos. Nothing wrong withL3, but the advanced technology in the M50 will do an even better job

100% yes. I just see the way the technology is going and ALL R and D is going to mirrorless. Think about it. Sony, Fuji, Olympus and Panasonic (Not a Lumix fan myself) are all mirrorless. Canon announced they will not be coming out with any new traditional SLR's in the current plans, while everything will be mirrorless. Every lens they came out with the last year has been mirrorless.
I have no skin in this game as you are looking for Canon refurb or used and the best bet would be the M50 for videos. Nothing wrong withL3, but the advanced technology in the M50 will do an even better job
You may end up with skin in the game. The least I can do to thank you for all the advice you give here.

How does the M50 compare to the Olympus E-M5 Mark III we talked about a month or so ago?

Last edited:
OP
ThisIsMyHandle

ThisIsMyHandle

Lil-Rokslider

I just don’t know how much I’m going to like filming and lugging around the extra equipment. Although I have a feeling I will. So I’m looking for a used camera as to not sink a absolute ton of money into it all just yet. Anyway, if I do love it, I’ll more than likely want to upgrade the camera in a few years. But back to the original question. So I can’t use both a shotgun mic and a lavelier mic at the same time? My solution to audio during a interview could just be unplugging one and plugging in the other.

You may end up with skin in the game. The least I can do to thank you for all the advice you give here.

How does the M50 compare to the Olympus E-M5 Mark III we talked about a month or so ago?
The Olympus has much better image stabilization, both the body and lens are weatherproof, focuses MUCH faster then any camera on the market under a few thousand dollars . The lens that comes with it is like having a 28-300 on a full frame camera. It's also very sharp and weatherproof.

The Olympus has much better image stabilization, both the body and lens are weatherproof, focuses MUCH faster then any camera on the market under a few thousand dollars . The lens that comes with it is like having a 28-300 on a full frame camera. It's also very sharp and weatherproof.

Will call you tomorrow and get this done. Many thanks.