Filter Pump for high volume

So the other night with a couple days left if the trip my MSR Sweetwater took a very wet shart!

I started the the trip with a new filter. After day two or three it was already by passing. I had to brush it out, it was brand new and in a clean source.

Thursday night the pump came apart. The clear plastic piece separated off the top handle part.

So I'll Call MSR Monday and get a replacement coming.

However I need a new more bombproof pump. I'd run the Steri Pen but it seems the streams I find are only inches deep. And the same thing with a gravity system.

I like to fill my 6L Dormady then my Nalgene bottle and go a day and a half without water. Or the last couple days of get back to camp and pump my Dormady full then I'd have water for that night and the next day.

Don't really care about weight as long as it fills fast and can handle a lot of water for long trips. Also not sure how it effects it but where I hunt there's cattle so I'd hate to get sick because of a cow pie up stream or something.
Thanks

Gutpile

Lil-Rokslider
We carry a Katadyn Hiker and have had no problems with it at all. We bring along a sawyer mini for a backup which I love. I often screw it to the top of a "Smartwater" bottle and drink straight from it

slow

FNG
I fill my nalgene and dromedary with a sawyer squeeze. I cut the top half off of a liter size aquafina bottle and use the bottom half to scoop water when it's shallow or just a thin stream. I leave maybe 3inches of the bottom. It weighs nothing and for me it's faster even if the water is deep.

The MSR Guardian is supposed to be completely bomb proof and maintainance free. Self flushing and they say it can even freeze even though it's a hollow fiber filter. Very high flow rate as well. You will certainly pay for all these features though as I think the MSRP is like $350.

Sent from my D6708 using Tapatalk

I just picked up a guardian a few weeks ago. First trip with it is next week so no field experience yet but the test runs I've done with it at home are beyond impressive. Easy to pump, fills my bottle and 10L bag quickly and it's self cleaning. If it turns out to be as good as they say I will be extremely happy. We all put alot of work and effort into our trips and I defiantly don't want to have my trip ruined by a broken or clogged water filter.

OP
TradLife406
I fill my nalgene and dromedary with a sawyer squeeze. I cut the top half off of a liter size aquafina bottle and use the bottom half to scoop water when it's shallow or just a thin stream. I leave maybe 3inches of the bottom. It weighs nothing and for me it's faster even if the water is deep.
That's not a bad idea! Or a Steri Pen using the scoop method. Fill Nalgene, clean it then dump that into the Dormady...

Yeah I've looked at the Guardian, it looks awesome but dang that price tag!

From what I hear the metal Katadyn Pocket is the king of filters, but at $350+ it's too rich for most of us.

I choose to go cheap and use the $20 Sawyer Mini in gravity mode or inline.
Hunt'nFish

jmden

WKR
The MSR Hyperflow is probably the fastest filter for its size and weight. Very small and 8oz. I have had one for several years. If you are very careful with backflushing (much more regularly than the directions call for) and VERY careful to never allow air into the filter when filtering or backflushing (some very careful consideration required here) AND you are only filtering very, very clear water, THEN it works great. I've had it clog up in less than 10 strokes where I hunt bear and where I hunt elk in water that is less than ideal. Those filters cartridges were shot. MSR could not bring them back to life.

Given the issues I'd had with the Hyperflow and the multiple contacts with MSR about it, they let me have a good price on the Guardian. So, I picked that up last winter from them. I've used it hiking and hunting this year. For the hunting I tested it on the spot that, more than once, clogged the Hyperflow almost immediately. The Guardian performed perfectly, PLUS it produced water that should be much safer as it's filter pores are 100x finer than most filters, thus it's actually a purifier/filter. The downside is it's big and heavy at 17 oz. It doesn't pump quite as fast as the Hyperflow but it is very fast and there is essentially no field maintenance and very little to do when you get home--pump some clean water with a touch of bleach in it (2L), then wait 1/2 hr. and pump 2L more of just clean water. On this one you then pump the water out of the filter and call it good. One HUGE thing for me is that it will survive being frozen. For those of us doing late season elk hunts, that huge. The other filters I know about are not supposed to even be in freezing temperatures as the filters can be damaged. The Guardian apparently won't work if it's frozen (needs to be warmed up), but the filter cartridge survives being frozen. So, I'm pretty happy with.

Now, I take the Guardian if I may have dirtier water and the Hyperflow if I know I'll have clear water. Very hard to beat the Hyperflow if it's not too cold and the water is clean to begin with it.