Final exam.... A+

squirrel

WKR
So after a very up-n-down summer of hiking trips/hospital trips it was the busy season at last. When all my boys are spoken for and have to be on top of their game My 4 year olds' first year of what I refer to as "throwing them to the wolves". And for good reason. We have a saying here at corral creek llamas, "some people should stick to ATV's" Only funny cause it is true.

Feedback on the boys was generally good/great once you sift carefully through the details of each review, after all, nobody comes back and says "these animals were perfect you should think about charging more" I listen carefully but never let any one opinion determine an animal's status without taking them myself under exactly the same conditions, as closely as I can duplicate.

When a 7/with trailer rental depleted my numbers for my personal season it was time for the "trial by fire". I loaded up 9 with all 6 of my four year olds' included, as the rental always takes precedence over personal trips. 9 was going to set a new personal size record for solo pack strings under anything other than ideal conditions (as in around my yard carrying Styrofoam!) Usually I try to keep it to 6-7 when solo, as any rodeo becomes exponentially worse with more llamas.

This was made more interesting when departure day was -15 degrees. It is very hard to pack sparingly when it is -15 flipping degrees! One tends to take extra socks...

Any how the payload ran to 465 lbs. after I cut off the handle of my toothbrush.

Snow pack was at 5-10" cold was enough to be classed as brutal, for things like putting on saddles etc. The trail needed substantial cutting of downed timber as previous users had dropped the ball. A chainsaw on the lead llama has been pretty much standard practice since the beetles.

The trip just could not have been better, these guys did me proud. There is little more gratifying than going in the back country with self trained llamas to go and get the "free meat" and having it all work like a well-oiled machine. One re-pack on trail of that damnable cot (as usual) and other than that it went like clockwork, veterans front, veterans back, and 6 youngsters middle.

And after a couple days it warmed up a bit to be a little less like a north pole expedition. Stayed a couple weeks had a very good time in some beautiful country. The hike out went even better as some angel had just cut the trail 2 weeks previous.

IMG_0073.JPG

EastMont

FNG
Any how the payload ran to 465 lbs. after I cut off the handle of my toothbrush.

This is halrious!

Congrats on a successful pack in! It is interesting after owning animals on how your pespective changes. A quite, noneventful pack in eventually turns into the biggest accomplishment of the trip. And with nine animals! "phew*

When you have to stop to cut a log- do you just tie the lead one to a tree or do you go untie all of them tie them out?

OP
S

squirrel

WKR
Is that liberty up front with the saw?
056.JPGDSC04046.JPGIMG_1431.JPG

No that is his older brother Linnemon cookie cutter genetics though eh?

OK Paul, it is winter after all... My wife likes the ones showing me in full training gear, steel toed boots and motorcycle helmet! Don't miss training ten year olds one little bit...

The rainbow shot made the llama calendar, its almost as famous as the Sports illustrated swimsuit edition in some circlesDSC06816.JPGDSC01878 - Copy.JPG034.JPGIMG_5388.JPG164.JPG

OP
S

squirrel

WKR
This is halrious!

Congrats on a successful pack in! It is interesting after owning animals on how your pespective changes. A quite, noneventful pack in eventually turns into the biggest accomplishment of the trip. And with nine animals! "phew*

When you have to stop to cut a log- do you just tie the lead one to a tree or do you go untie all of them tie them out?
sorry I missed your question at first. I tie the leader and cut, but have paid a price now and then as my string turns into a figure 8! A steady pace is your best friend on a trail with longer strings, idle hooves are the Devil's workshop, to paraphrase Mom.