Final Gear List for Colorado

John87

Lil-Rokslider
Okay, so I’m hoping I have the final list of gear for my elk hunt this fall, some gear I stuck with. Some I have swapped out. In the future, there several items I want to upgrade(tent, sleeping bag, pack, etc.), but for this year at least, this is what’s making the trip. This hunt will be in 1st rifle season, 10,000-11,000 feet in Colorado, will be hiking in and scouting 4-5 days and season is 5 days. Any advice for a first timer headed to Colorado for 10 days in the backcountry?
Oh, and maybe a super lightweight fishing kit to fish some of the streams and lakes before season opens, as the 5 days before season will be scouting, but mainly just glassing and acclimating to the elevation.

Marble

WKR
Extra knife, head lamp, flashlight, cordage, something to store more than 3l of water.

First aid kit?

There was a thread going a few days ago with lists of things people being extra of. You should look through it.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

SonnyDay

WKR
In addition to cordage, some way to hang your food to keep the bears away (medium stuff sack?).

+1 for sunscreen. Pro Tip: In Colorado at that altitude you should be able to find aspens... and the yellowish powder on the bark of an aspen tree can be used as a sunscreen.

A few other ideas I didn't see explicitly mentioned:
  • Tags!
  • Blaze Orange vest/hat (I usually bring a ballcap for warm weather, and a beanie for cold)
  • Map/Compass in case electronics die
  • Rifle sling (huge fan of gun bearer-style "sling")
  • Pack cover for rain
  • Wind checker
  • Knife sharpener
  • Poop kit
  • Small gun cleaning kit (in case a bird craps into your muzzle while your rifle is leaning against a tree--it happens!)
  • Water filter/purification tabs
  • Ear plugs (for wind, or your buddy's snoring)
Otherwise, drink lots of water and don't push too hard in the first few days. And have fun!

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think it is wise of you going in early for the acclimation and scouting (it is a relatively short season). For sun protection I prefer clothes that cover me such as a shirt with thumholes will cover some of your hands, a thin neck gaiter to cover your face and sunglasses.

OP
John87

John87

Lil-Rokslider
I had forgot to list those things, most of those items are packed, with exception of map, I need to pick one up when I get there.
And that’s happened a time or two with the socks…

OP
John87

John87

Lil-Rokslider
Do you guy think that simply being in the area will blow the elk out? Would being at base camp still be too intrusive? I’m not planning on hiking around where I’ll be hunting for 5 days, just hiking in and setting up camp, and glassing from the highest points, I have no plans on traipsing around through the timber, actually have no intention on spending any time in the timber while hunting, unless it’s going after an elk I see or hear.

Ucsdryder

WKR
Do you guy think that simply being in the area will blow the elk out? Would being at base camp still be too intrusive? I’m not planning on hiking around where I’ll be hunting for 5 days, just hiking in and setting up camp, and glassing from the highest points, I have no plans on traipsing around through the timber, actually have no intention on spending any time in the timber while hunting, unless it’s going after an elk I see or hear.
Scent blows out animals. Scent swirls, down hill in the morning, up hill in the late morning, the more scent the less animals. What do you plan on doing for 5 days? If it’s drive around the road and glass from the car, then have fun. If it’s pack in or hike in and find animals then that would be a hard pass.

OP
John87

John87

Lil-Rokslider
The plan is to hike in and see if it’s a spot that’s gonna work out, I have been marking several different trailheads, but they are not close to each other, and at the end of the road, in wilderness area. So if location #1 is all blowdown’s or there are no elk, it will be 8-10 hrs to get to the next location, not because it’s that far away, but because of the access. So I’m hesitant to put all my eggs in 1 basket on location #1, and not go in until the day before season, since by the time I find out it’s not where I need to be, I’ve wasted all my scouting time and season is only 5 days. Then again, I have never been elk hunting, let alone been in that area, so all I can do is research and try to make the most of it.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
The plan is to hike in and see if it’s a spot that’s gonna work out, I have been marking several different trailheads, but they are not close to each other, and at the end of the road, in wilderness area. So if location #1 is all blowdown’s or there are no elk, it will be 8-10 hrs to get to the next location, not because it’s that far away, but because of the access. So I’m hesitant to put all my eggs in 1 basket on location #1, and not go in until the day before season, since by the time I find out it’s not where I need to be, I’ve wasted all my scouting time and season is only 5 days. Then again, I have never been elk hunting, let alone been in that area, so all I can do is research and try to make the most of it.
Others are right about potentially blowing out animals but at the same time it’s your first elk hunt on a short season. Be smart about it and it is Colorado so hikers could be blowing them out anyway.

Marble

WKR
If it were my choice I would make two trips out of it.

You may accidentally bump elk by pure misfortune and will never see them again. The urge to "look and see" just a little closer gets a lot of guys and it ends up rui ING their trip.

Most of the time I have been discovered by elk they run a very long way. Miles. I've been winded at 600+ yards also. Probably further other times, but I actually watched that one happen.

If I only could do one trip I would try to glass from a far and go in two days early.

I think what you are underestimating is the grind you will experience, the drain of the day to day and the exhaustion from moving all day, eating not the best food and sleeping in an odd bed.

Even 5 days in the back country with horses is exhausting.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

cgasner1

WKR
Personally I think 5 days like that would have a huge mental fatigue and a lot of wear and tear come opening day you’d already be wore down. Going early to scout yes but I would personally look at maybe a quick flight and check the area out prior and then go back to hunt to use the same vacation

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PaBone

Lil-Rokslider
Couple things I like to have in my pack that I don't see on your list, but I'm bow hunting. A lightweight skillet for grilling up a bow killed grouse or hopefully some fresh elk straps. A light weight closed cell sitting pad, especially if you plan on sitting and glasses awhile. A bow hook for hanging my bow at camp or while sitting on a wallow. A light weight tarp, Windchecker powder and milkweed, a couple spring buckle straps and my Silky Pocketboy.

Dont forget chap stick. After 24 hours in Colorado you will get into the chapped/lick lips death cycle and it will get grim fast. I also recommend an emergency whistle, topo maps and compass and emergency blankets. Its personal preference but I like stainless steel water bottles over Nalgene. If its cold at camp you can throw them on a stove and warm the water then stick the bottle in your jacket or sleeping bag and it will keep you nice and toasty all night. I have a collection of Kleen Kanteen and really like them.

Unscented sunscreen. Especially if there is a bit of snow on the ground. The sun at 10k+ feet will burn very quickly.
If there is snow make sure to put some on the underside of your nose too. Sunburn nostrils are brutal and not something you typically think about.

OP
John87

John87

Lil-Rokslider
Is this weight something similar to what you guys are carrying? 66 lbs is what the spreadsheet is showing, but completely loaded and ready to go my scale is showing 60.6 lbs. I know there are much lighter gear out there, but I’ve about tapped out my spending on gear this year, just gonna try cutting weight from around my waist from here on, lol!