Final Gear List for Colorado

Ucsdryder

WKR
Is this weight something similar to what you guys are carrying? 66 lbs is what the spreadsheet is showing, but completely loaded and ready to go my scale is showing 60.6 lbs. I know there are much lighter gear out there, but I’ve about tapped out my spending on gear this year, just gonna try cutting weight from around my waist from here on, lol!
Depends. And cutting down on your belly doesn’t translate to pounds in the pack. Let’s be honest, the chances of you killing something is probably slim, but assume you’re successful. Your camp is 1 trip out. Then you’re back in for trip 1 of 4 if you’re solo. If you’re going in 3 miles that’s 27 miles with 16 being 60 pounds plus. If you have friends you can start breaking it down. Point being, that’s a lot of weight to pack in to camp, especially if you’re going “deep”. Something to keep in mind.

westslopelaker

Lil-Rokslider
Is one fuel canister enough for 10 days? What about gloves, coffee, chapstick, sunscreen. I'd probably lose the elk bugle if it were me. 10 days is a long time in the Backcountry.

fwafwow

WKR
Is this weight something similar to what you guys are carrying? 66 lbs is what the spreadsheet is showing, but completely loaded and ready to go my scale is showing 60.6 lbs. I know there are much lighter gear out there, but I’ve about tapped out my spending on gear this year, just gonna try cutting weight from around my waist from here on, lol!
Don’t get so hung up on cutting weight that you end up with gear that isn’t as functional or is hard to use. I made that mistake.

Saline nasal spray - you will not believe how much you need and want it.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
How does that tent weigh 9.5 pounds? Are you sharing it?

KnuckleChild

Lil-Rokslider
If you live closer to sea level, even though you have a little built in time to acclimate, if you have a doctor you can get to write you some diamox for altitude sickness prevention easily go ahead and do that. I have rarely gotten it but when I have it’s no joke (I’ve only had it when skiing thankfully but it was a miserable 24-48 hours each time). Makes beer taste weird but honestly I kinda like the taste. I’ve had buddies that had to abandon a really high spot archery elk hunting and drop a few thousand feet due to someone in the party getting acute mountain sickness (was probably bordering on HACE, but still).

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yes, will be splitting it up between 2 of us
Ok, that’s better. First trips are learning trips. This one will tell you where you want to upgrade. The only two things I see to change (without spending big money) is leaving some clothes at the truck, don’t bring some gear at all. Your food doesn’t look like enough, typically 1.5-2 pounds per day is the norm.

How much is your partner carrying?

If you can swing a new bag and tent that will help a lot. That bag is really closer to a 45* bag. You can find marmot bags fairly cheap and they will be much better.
Now for fishing. If you are packing a rod, Diawa, St Croix and some others make nice pack rods. Pair with a 500 series reel and 2# test. Not 4 or 6# but 2#. Small panther Martin, flat fish and even a San Juan worm will all be good. Crappie jigs and small spoons are good too.

Last edited:
OP
John87

John87

Lil-Rokslider
Ok, that’s better. First trips are learning trips. This one will tell you where you want to upgrade. The only two things I see to change (without spending big money) is leaving some clothes at the truck, don’t bring some gear at all. Your food doesn’t look like enough, typically 1.5-2 pounds per day is the norm.

How much is your partner carrying?
Food is right at 3100 calories per day, and partner is packing close to the same weight, we’re splitting the tent, I’ll carry the stove and he’s carrying the fuel. Same with water filter, one of us will carry one and the other will carry something else to even it out. What I have in my pack will be lighter, I weighed it with the entire tent and the stove, fuel, water filter, etc. so I will be several pounds lighter when we go.

The marmot never summer and sawtooth are on camofire today. The ns is a great down bag for the money. The st is proven to work well for the CO mtns.
They also have the trestless. Not sure if it will save weight but I trust the temperature rating over SBJ any day. Good luck to you guys.

EVD

FNG
Food is right at 3100 calories per day, and partner is packing close to the same weight, we’re splitting the tent, I’ll carry the stove and he’s carrying the fuel. Same with water filter, one of us will carry one and the other will carry something else to even it out. What I have in my pack will be lighter, I weighed it with the entire tent and the stove, fuel, water filter, etc. so I will be several pounds lighter when we go.
That is a lot of weight and food to plan on carrying around for 10 days at 10K'+. Even on a cut trail to a base camp, it is still a lot.

DeePow

FNG
Since you are bringing a Grayl, why a water bladder and a Nalgene? Is the bladder to hold non-purified water?

OP
John87

John87

Lil-Rokslider
Since you are bringing a Grayl, why a water bladder and a Nalgene? Is the bladder to hold non-purified water?
If I take the greyl, probably won’t take the Nalgene, but may swap out the greyl with a sawyer squeeze.

cnelk

WKR
I’ve mentioned this before and it’s worth mentioning again.

Jump over to the Moose & Caribou forums and read what the guys are taking in on a fly-in hunt when the pack weight is restricted to 60-70lbs.
And that’s for 7-10 days.

hey john, few questions, 1) where are you coming from, 2) where are you? going, 3) how many people will be with you and whats your camp plan? base camp or spike

OP
John87

John87

Lil-Rokslider
Please tell me that a 9.5 pound tent weight includes a stove and pipe?
Nope, just the tent unfortunately, I have been looking for deals on a hot tent setup, like the Cimarron or something similar. But it will be split between 2 of us, so only half that weight.

OP
John87

John87

Lil-Rokslider
hey john, few questions, 1) where are you coming from, 2) where are you? going, 3) how many people will be with you and whats your camp plan? base camp or spike
1) coming from eastern Kentucky, headed to 2) northwest Colorado for 1st rifle elk. 3) who is going, there are 5 of us going altogether, we are driving 2 trucks, myself and my cousin will be leaving out on Friday night after work and take turns driving, I’ve done this several times, I know it can suck, but it is quick. We should arrive in western Colorado Saturday evening, if all goes well, and stay the night in a motel, and rest up. Then Sunday morning, drive up the mountain, and hike in to the area we are looking at and set up a spike camp.
The other 3 guys are leaving out Monday morning, and they are bringing the canvas tent to set up at the truck, for base camp. They also will packing in with spike camps, but we will have a base camp to pack meat back to and process, cook up some good food and get some rest in a warm tent with cots.
This is the first time for 3 of us, the 5th time for the other two, they have killed elk in this area before, but it’s been 10-12 years.

OP
John87

John87

Lil-Rokslider
If you’re smart about it, your five days prior will work well.
That is what I thought, but several have told me I would blow all the elk out of the country during those 5 days.