Final Gear List for Colorado

OP
John87

John87

Lil-Rokslider
Okay, I started looking at lighter shelters, and I wish I could afford a seek Cimarron with a stove, but I can’t right now. I found the Mountainsmith Mountain Shelter LT for less than $100, and right at 2 pounds. Given the choice between carrying half of the Slumberjack( almost 5 lbs) or the floorless mountainsmith( 2 lbs total) what would you choose? Is the weight savings worth ditching the heavy 4 season tent?

BBob

WKR
That is what I thought, but several have told me I would blow all the elk out of the country during those 5 days.
I disagree, it all depends on how you go about it.

You’ve got a 20° bag and plenty of extra clothes on your list so I see no need for a 4 season tent. Looks to me like you’ll save more weight ditching that tent. Only reason to carry it is if the weather looks really bad. I own a pyramid tent and stove but it’s yet to be cold enough for anything I’ve done to want to carry it on a pack trip. Maybe I’ve spent too many years without and never really wanted or wished for more than what I’ve had.

Last edited:
The plan is to hike in and see if it’s a spot that’s gonna work out, I have been marking several different trailheads, but they are not close to each other, and at the end of the road, in wilderness area. So if location #1 is all blowdown’s or there are no elk, it will be 8-10 hrs to get to the next location, not because it’s that far away, but because of the access. So I’m hesitant to put all my eggs in 1 basket on location #1, and not go in until the day before season, since by the time I find out it’s not where I need to be, I’ve wasted all my scouting time and season is only 5 days. Then again, I have never been elk hunting, let alone been in that area, so all I can do is research and try to make the most of it.
I'd say you have a solid plan by going in early. No substitute for your eyes only via boots on the ground. I look at this as an advantage just because the elk arent always where they were a month ago.

ok 1) if you're use to the smokies you should be ok with the Rockies, I've seen plenty of people give up halfway because they're from flat lands and not use to carrying 60 lbs up and down mountains. the only thing Colorado has is elevation and dryness, the terrain is similar. I'm in the Appalachians so I find it to be easier in colorado.
2) I'm guessing you're looking at the flat tops, if that's the case expect a lot of blowdowns. you may want to lighten the pack up a little to make it easier to get over and around everything. me personally I leave the walking sticks at home because they get in the way and I don't need the extra weight. you will run into a lot of "hunters" out there my best advice is don't scout for elk, scout for hunters. there are plenty of elk there, just find the spot that no one else will go and you're good.
3) 5 people scouting an area before opener is not a good idea, it's hard enough with one person. learn the roads, find camp spots do a count on people in the area, after that scouting should be on an arial so you can have a plan of entry and exit. spend a day or 2 in your base camp getting acclimated and going through gear.
There are many ways to hunt, if you just base camp then it doesn't matter what your pack weight is because it will be left at base except your kill kit of course. if you base/spike then you can drop a bit of weight by leaving some at base and coming back if needed. also you will have 4 other people so you will not need as much as a solo hunt.
as for what's in your pack, there are things I leave off or substitute such as bino and harness, pillow, heavy water filter, puffy pants and gaiters. why? well you have a range finder and a scope so a 10x bino isn't going to make the hunt, its 3 lbs. pillow is personal but your puffy jacket can double as pillow to save weight. a sawyer mini filter is more than enough for a week in the woods and a lot lighter. I don't use puffy pants as my legs don't get cold with all the walking that gets done but again personal choice, and gaiters I don't think are needed because there really aren't many snakes or briars.
no matter what you bring or forget just have a good time, make friends, don't get discouraged or upset and never give up.

Okay, I started looking at lighter shelters, and I wish I could afford a seek Cimarron with a stove, but I can’t right now. I found the Mountainsmith Mountain Shelter LT for less than $100, and right at 2 pounds. Given the choice between carrying half of the Slumberjack( almost 5 lbs) or the floorless mountainsmith( 2 lbs total) what would you choose? Is the weight savings worth ditching the heavy 4 season tent?
My main gripe w the mt shelter is crawling in and out so far on your knees.
But its a good shelter

The mountain shelter is a good option for the price! Little tricky to set up the first couple times and not a lot of head room. But it’s lightweight and well built

OP
John87

John87

Lil-Rokslider
The mountain shelter is a good option for the price! Little tricky to set up the first couple times and not a lot of head room. But it’s lightweight and well built
Is it big enough for 2 guys and packs? Or will my we need 2 shelters?

Is it big enough for 2 guys and packs? Or will my we need 2 shelters?
I shared mine for a long hunt with a very close friend I’ve known since high school. We’re also not big dudes & no room for packs.

It’s doable, but only if you guys know eachother real well already lol

just my opinion but you're splitting all your carry in with at least one person so I would just use what you have. save weight by leaving things that you don't need, if your partner has a lighter water filter use his as you won't need 2 filters etc. if you're partnering up you can share gear. if you carry a 9 lb tent he can carry the food, I personally wouldn't spend money now since it's your first time. use this hunt to learn what you really need that works for you, were all different so my gear may be uncomfortable to you. the most important thing about being out there is being comfortable, whether that's in a 10 lb tent or a tarp shelter. on another note, you can also look at hammock setups to save weight and they pack small.

svivian

WKR
The guys saying you’ll blow animals out crack me up. I’ve sat on bucks and bulls for weeks up until season. Just be smart about it and use your glass. Be thoughtful of the areas you are going through. Once you spot some just observe from a far. a lot to learn from just sitting and watching.

Just my .02

KnuckleChild

Lil-Rokslider
use this hunt to learn what you really need that works for you, were all different so my gear may be uncomfortable to you.
I’ll echo this. I’ve only been on a few of backpacking hunts, but every trip my gear list looks less like the YouTube/Instagram hunter “elk 2022 gear list” and more like just my regular backpacking trip gear list +heavier pack and weapon.
Just go. Make plenty of notes after. Adjust from there in the future. Nothing worse than spending a big chunk on a nice version of something you just HAVE to have to backpack hunt then realize you’re better off without it.

MrBHSir

FNG
Okay, so I’m hoping I have the final list of gear for my elk hunt this fall, some gear I stuck with. Some I have swapped out. In the future, there several items I want to upgrade(tent, sleeping bag, pack, etc.), but for this year at least, this is what’s making the trip. This hunt will be in 1st rifle season, 10,000-11,000 feet in Colorado, will be hiking in and scouting 4-5 days and season is 5 days. Any advice for a first timer headed to Colorado for 10 days in the backcountry?
Oh, and maybe a super lightweight fishing kit to fish some of the streams and lakes before season opens, as the 5 days before season will be scouting, but mainly just glassing and acclimating to the elevation.
The past few years I have switched from carrying a single 0° sleeping bag, to carrying two 20° bags. If it is very cold I use both at the same time. It also allows be to carry a lighter bag when I have my spike camp and I have the possibility to stay the night out in the mountain away from spike camp.
I have found it to be very versatile

Phaseolus

WKR
That is what I thought, but several have told me I would blow all the elk out of the country during those 5 days.
Keep in mind elk are not like whitetail, they aren’t tied to piece of real estate. I’m not saying you will blow them out, that will depend on your skill level. If you do bump them they will go a long distance and won’t be back any time soo.

heres a story from last year that pertains to scouting..... sun up- go out to a clearing that I watch and find the elk had made a wallow the night before, todays gonna be hot so I know they'll be back. noon- no sign yet still early . 4pm hear cows in the timber not far off to my left, they're getting ready to move probably hot and hungry so time to swing uphill and sit behind some blowdowns.. 5pm I hear them breaking branches sounds like a herd crashing but not where they were now off to the right, draw back and wait..... out walks 2 "hunters" that just have to get to high ground to scout at 5pm !!! how do I know they were scouting well their bows were strapped to their packs so they certainly weren't hunting.
I'm not saying you or anyone here is that bad of a hunter but what I am saying is elk don't live at 12000 ft. not saying they don't go there but they spend most of their time between 8500 and 10000 give or take so for you to glass you have to pass them 2 times every time you go, to me its not a good plan as you don't know what's there. now if you could scout the area months before then that's different but to walk in somewhere you don't know, days before season, and expect the best outcome well that's not likely especially after those elk have been pushed for a month by archery and muzzy guys. I myself do not need to scout to know animals live in the woods, you want to know where they are follow basic instinct eat, sleep, make babies . find the spot that allows for those 3 things and in an area that most will not go and you'll get em every time.